Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-449.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 5394085)
Someone from Mumbai please tell me what is the Mumbai equivalent of Nehru place where I can get laptop repairs done. Is it Lamington Road? It's pretty far off for me, but if someone knows any reliable shops there, I can go. Or if there is something between Sion to Bhandup, that would be more convenient.

If you stay near Vashi, then Vashi sector 17 has a lot of computer shops, I regularly take my family laptops there for getting them cleaned. (cooling fins mainly)

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 5394085)
Someone from Mumbai please tell me what is the Mumbai equivalent of Nehru place where I can get laptop repairs done. Is it Lamington Road? It's pretty far off for me, but if someone knows any reliable shops there, I can go. Or if there is something between Sion to Bhandup, that would be more convenient.

Just like JJ Mehta for cameras, Prime Abgb is the goto store for computer parts at Lamington Road. There even have online store. I am not sure about repair services. You can search for their contact number and call them.

What's the smallest, lightest, decently-specced Windows laptop I can get? Do not need top-of-the-line computing power, and form factor is primary consideration.

Would prefer not buying a Macbook Air, except as a last resort.

Budget: preferably under 6 figures but won't mind a wee bit over for the right device.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao (Post 5400442)
What's the smallest, lightest, decently-specced Windows laptop I can get? Do not need top-of-the-line computing power, and form factor is primary consideration.

Budget: preferably under 6 figures but won't mind a wee bit over for the right device.

Something from the Surface range? 4? Might need a storage upgrade.

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-fcdb2127716f4dd99dc8e03971963555.jpeg

Quote:

You could get the LG Gram, they are all suer-light, thin and decently-specced too. Available in multiple screen sizes as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yedukrishnan199 (Post 5400454)
You could get the LG Gram, they are all suer-light, thin and decently-specced too. Available in multiple screen sizes as well.

I have an LG Gram 14 at home, its ultra-portable, has at least 12 hours battery life (20 hours claimed) and has all the necessary ports too.

Quote:

ASUS zenbook could be an option for long battery life. However keep in view that ultra books usually lack expansion options, so better to go for 16gb machine upfront. Usually ASUS had offers available for buying 3 years warranty at throwaway prices, so that’s a big point for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajayc123 (Post 5400469)
Usually ASUS had offers available for buying 3 years warranty at throwaway prices, so that’s a big point for me.

How much did the ASUS laptop cost & how much did you have to pay extra for the 2 year extension in warranty?

Quote:

Form factor = Nothing beats Asus Zenbook 13 Oled that I have now started using, 11th gen and that gorgeous screen, 60~70k going upto 80~90k for i7's. I got the 2nd year Extended International warranty for 999/-
Slightly better build = Asus Zenbook 14 Oled has more ports and is newest 12th gen, less than 80k going upto 110k for i7's

Both are all aluminum/metal build but Macbook Air has 10% better build quality but nothing beats a Windows Laptop for versatility.

Happy hunting... Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 5400474)
How much did the ASUS laptop cost & how much did you have to pay extra for the 2 year extension in warranty?

Usually around 3k for a 3 year warranty. Check this link for warranty pricing by model. Warranty needs to be taken within 2 weeks of purchase
https://www.asuspromo.in/terms

Usually the offers are fixed for a quarter, but may slightly vary in the next quarter.

Need suggestion for an economical laptop (good enough for 3 years). Need is for my wife to do a WFH job which will require Microsoft doc, excel and ppt. Web browsing, zoom, team calls and some OTT media consumption.

Are there some good deals currently available? One more point - should not be very difficult to service in Pune.

Quote:

What's the smallest, lightest, decently-specced Windows laptop I can get?

I think you should seriously consider Dell. :D

Quote:

I bought a Ryzen 4500U MSI Modern 14 in January 2021, and the laptop is serving me really well. Had purchased it for 57k back then, and the same laptop with Ryzen 5500U is now available for 40k on Flipkart.

It's small, sleek, light, metal built, has a backlit keyboard, lasts almost entire day on a single charge, and handles everything with great ease (I used to play Forza Horizon 4 on it earlier). In fact, my girlfriend and her dad both got the same laptop later on after seeing mine. I'd really recommend it to you too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by catchjyoti (Post 5401836)
Need suggestion for an economical laptop (good enough for 3 years). Need is for my wife to do a WFH job which will require Microsoft doc, excel and ppt. Web browsing, zoom, team calls and some OTT media consumption.

Are there some good deals currently available? One more point - should not be very difficult to service in Pune.

Having experienced multiple brands over decades and researched on a multiple options in the last couple of years, I had narrowed down to HP and Asus as final two brands. You may want to keep these as a part of your research.

Since our key requirements were ms office and max warranty, ( school work and online classes for kids, we had preferred Asus, as we were able to get 3 year warranty and ms office perpetual license at a low cost similar to link posted in my previous post #6730 on this thread).

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajayc123 (Post 5400483)
Usually around 3k for a 3 year warranty.

For a laptop of what price & what configuration?