Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2007, 18:24   #646
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Please get your facts right. Dell has a site service warranty which means that if you have a problem with your laptop and you're located anywhere within the Asia-Pacific region they will come & fix it for you.

I've tried doing this twice, once in Delhi & once in Moradabad. Both times after a tele-diagnosis the service engineer turned up at my place within 24 hrs of the call with the new parts which were suspected to be causing the trouble.

I have been a Dell user for over 4 years now & have nothing but praise for their excellent service.

P.S. Dell has a service contract with Wipro & one other company who send the engineers for doing the repairs at your premises. So actually they do have a service network.
I would agree with Ishan here....the dell people are very good at there service....It happened with my friend and the guy was there with less than 24 hrs....
Old 24th May 2007, 19:01   #647
Team-BHP Support

I was using IBM Thinkpad for last 4 years, but the current Thinkpad is Lenovo. My vendor says there are too many problems with Lenovo thinkpads. So, that's out.

I have DELL experience in USA since 1999, their service top class there. Since DELL India appears to be providing similar service, that may be the way to go.

Tsk, I can't think about US prices when I am buying for Indian company. I need Indian warranty too, or else I would have purchased in US during the recent visit.

Looks like DELL XPS 1210 is the best choice I have now.
Old 24th May 2007, 19:11   #648
Senior - BHPian

The plus point of getting a dell is that you can configure it to ones tastes and requirement this is the one thing I like the most..
Old 25th May 2007, 02:03   #649
BHPian

Was not knowing that there is a separate Laptop thread (posted my laptop's config. in the computer config. thread).

Any way, I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 running Windows Vista™ Home Basic. Got it for around $864.91. Here goes the general specs.:

1. AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-56 {1.8 GHz (L2 Cache:2 x 512 KB) }
2. Memory 2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ, 2 DIMM
3. VIDEO CARD ATI RADEON® Xpress1150 256MB HyperMemory™ (Integrated)
4. HARD DRIVES 80GB Hard Drive
5. Combo/DVD+RW Drives 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
6. Wireless Networking Cards 1390 802.11g Mini Card (54Mbps)
7. LCD panel 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display with TrueLife™(glossy)

Yes, I did customized it to my requirments and budget. Dell laptop's in US are considered to be VFM. They are build to last (but are on the heavier side, specially the Inspiron series). The support is decent (Recovery/Re-Installation CDs are shipped along with the laptop without charge).
Old 25th May 2007, 13:40   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Please get your facts right. Dell has a site service warranty which means that if you have a problem with your laptop and you're located anywhere within the Asia-Pacific region they will come & fix it for you.

I've tried doing this twice, once in Delhi & once in Moradabad. Both times after a tele-diagnosis the service engineer turned up at my place within 24 hrs of the call with the new parts which were suspected to be causing the trouble.

I have been a Dell user for over 4 years now & have nothing but praise for their excellent service.

P.S. Dell has a service contract with Wipro & one other company who send the engineers for doing the repairs at your premises. So actually they do have a service network.
Oops my bad then. I have had no experience but when i went to buy a Vaio from Laptop House in Pune they were againt my going for dell. Maybe they badmouth other laptop makers.
Dell is the best option left then.
Old 25th May 2007, 14:30   #651
Senior - BHPian

Josh I have ben to House of Laptops & found them to be selling what they want to & not what customers want.

Btw I am lookig for desktop replacemnet laptop which wont be running any heavy applications just need one for storing personal files & surfing net.

Btw How are acer laptops? Saw one with 14.1 screen & built in camera for around 35k
Old 25th May 2007, 16:25   #652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Btw How are acer laptops? Saw one with 14.1 screen & built in camera for around 35k

they are also good....when compared to HP, compaq and lenovo....
Old 27th May 2007, 11:21   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I was using IBM Thinkpad for last 4 years, but the current Thinkpad is Lenovo. My vendor says there are too many problems with Lenovo thinkpads. So, that's out.

I have DELL experience in USA since 1999, their service top class there. Since DELL India appears to be providing similar service, that may be the way to go.

Tsk, I can't think about US prices when I am buying for Indian company. I need Indian warranty too, or else I would have purchased in US during the recent visit.

Looks like DELL XPS 1210 is the best choice I have now.

I recently got a Dell D620... was thinking of XPS 1210 which seems to be a very good buy... but then I wanted XP and XPS comes only with Vista. Dell was not ready to ship XPS 1210 with Win XP, so went in for D620 - ended up paying 10k more than XPS.

Lenovo, Acer, even HP/Compaq are ruled out for heavy duty work (working for 12+ hours daily with good apps). Dell and Sony are surely better.

~maniac
Old 27th May 2007, 13:45   #654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious_maniac View Post
I recently got a Dell D620... was thinking of XPS 1210 which seems to be a very good buy... but then I wanted XP and XPS comes only with Vista. Dell was not ready to ship XPS 1210 with Win XP, so went in for D620 - ended up paying 10k more than XPS.

Lenovo, Acer, even HP/Compaq are ruled out for heavy duty work (working for 12+ hours daily with good apps). Dell and Sony are surely better.

~maniac
I used to have Dell Latitude 600 laptop for work & always found that it used to get heated up real fast (I always made sure never to keep my Dell laptop on my lap to avoid serious risk to unmentionables !!). The battery life was also nothing much to write home about..it used to last max 3 hours or so..

Now I have IBM (lenovo) T60 laptop 7 its probably the best laptop I have used so far..runs superfast,super cool & great battery life too..
Old 27th May 2007, 14:23   #655
BHPian

Just ordered a Think pad T61 for $1050. Got a 40% off on the deal. Thinkpad T61 is slated to be one the coolest laptops around. Easy to carry around. Waeighs 5.4lb

Interl Core 2 Duo T300 ( Santa Rosa platform)
1 gig Ram (Will order extra later)
60 GB hd disk
CD-RW/DVD combo
14.1 WXGA TFT with camera
Integrated Graphics Intel X3100
Think a/b/g wireless
integrated bluetooth
3 usb, 1 firewire
Express car slot.
7 cell battery
Windows Vista Home ( Have to see how the system runs otherwise I will switch to XP Pro)

Regards
Rahul
Old 27th May 2007, 14:29   #656
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious_maniac View Post
I ordered a XPS 1210 configuration on Friday on the DELL website. Next day a sales rep called me and discussed the purchase. I said I might rip the Vista and put XP Pro on it. Immediately he offered to put XP pro on it himself for 2000 bucks more. That would be silly considering I am a MSDN premier subscriber, I have legal copy of most software Microsoft makes. For now I am getting Vista.
Old 27th May 2007, 15:22   #657
Team-BHP Support

I am getting XPS 1210 with 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo T5600 with 1GB RAM (667MHz), 100GB 7200rpm drive, 256MB nVidia GeForce 7400 graphics card and 3 years service. Rest are standard stuff. Bill comes 77K.
Old 27th May 2007, 20:57   #658
BHPian

I am planning to buy Sony Vaio UX-390N from US. I will ask them to ship to India. Will this attract Custom Duties? Any one with prior similar experience pls help
Old 27th May 2007, 21:54   #659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
I am planning to buy Sony Vaio UX-390N from US. I will ask them to ship to India. Will this attract Custom Duties? Any one with prior similar experience pls help
Is someone coming back from US he can bring it down as it is allowed for one person to bring back one laptop and stuff amounting 25000 1 litre alcohol....so it is the better option...but if you imported it from US then Custom will sure will be levied on the same...
Old 27th May 2007, 22:42   #660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am getting XPS 1210 with 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo T5600 with 1GB RAM (667MHz), 100GB 7200rpm drive, 256MB nVidia GeForce 7400 graphics card and 3 years service. Rest are standard stuff. Bill comes 77K.
They have next day replacement warranty and also telephonic support (this is 24X7 overseas ,but for india it is just 9 to5 if am not worng ) .
They have something like complete care for 3 years instead of next day replacemnet .The complete care takes care of things like coffe spills ,drop by accident ,even if u hammer deliberately ,they will not ask u anything in complete care .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks