Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-438.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amil (Post 5288961)
I have an Asus R510J gaming laptop, very good config, only problem i have is the screen is matte instead of glossy. Since i am a photographer, i would like to have a glossy screen for editing of images, etc. For now i use my desktop to edit images. Is there any way to change the screen to a glossy one? Or should i consider selling this one off and get a MacBook?

This is quite a common issue faced with matte displays. They simply are not as sharp and don't seem to display as wide a range of colour or contrast when compared to a glossy screen. Apparently the matte aspect of the screen is only achieved by a textured coating that can easily (depending on how you look at it) be removed. There are several videos on youtube about it attaching a couple that I know of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG9ypZZHkm8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydfQwttMKa8

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVMBLR (Post 5286739)
Option1: Using external Backupplus Hard drive UsB 3.0/ Type C
Option 2: Connect new Laptop to Old laptop by using crossover patch cord (RJ 45 Ethernet Cable)

Option one is much better, as you will have a backup copy of all the old files. You can then use the external disk for current backup, some thing that most ignore, but rue it when disaster strikes.

In the market for a laptop for home use.

Quick question - Is it preferred to go with a Win 11 loaded one? And if I buy one with Win 10 loaded in it, it is possible to upgrade to Win 11 later on free of cost?

Quote:

Originally Posted by balenoed_ (Post 5290870)

Quick question - Is it preferred to go with a Win 11 loaded one? And if I buy one with Win 10 loaded in it, it is possible to upgrade to Win 11 later on free of cost?

My advice is better to buy OEM Laptop with OS (Windows 11 pro version) which will have regular security updates from Microsoft. In case if you want to buy a LAPTOP with Windows 10 and you want to upgrade to Windows 11 ? please review Laptop H/W compatibility to upgrade Windows 11 (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...ifications?r=1)

Quote:

Originally Posted by balenoed_ (Post 5290870)

It will be mentioned by the seller whether or not a free upgrade to windows 11 comes with the laptop. That said, try to get one with windows 10 as it is far more stable than windows 11, which, being a new OS might not be perfect until a couple of years pass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IshaanIan (Post 5291045)
…try to get one with windows 10 as it is far more stable than windows 11, which, being a new OS might not be perfect until a couple of years pass.

Ahh, seeing this only now! Then let me be one among the Guinea pig :D.

Just stepped out of a Croma store after buying a HP Victus. Looks to be a good config for the pricing, liked the 16” display and ruggedness.

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-7c5081ae472b4deaace8aac513286549.jpeg

Quote:

Originally Posted by balenoed_ (Post 5291114)
Ahh, seeing this only now! Then let me be one among the Guinea pig :D.

Just stepped out of a Croma store after buying a HP Victus. Looks to be a good config for the pricing, liked the 16” display and ruggedness.

Attachment 2292230

How much did you get it for ? was there any company extended warranty available ? I'm also looking at HP victus for its good all-round specs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody (Post 5292209)
How much did you get it for ? was there any company extended warranty available ? I'm also looking at HP victus for its good all-round specs.

Got it for 62K which included a 2 year software support.

Extended warranty is available at additional cost.

The usual customer care is by HP.

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-6918f003d3484b0b977f07ec58a84372.jpeg

I am in the market for a new laptop around the 1 lakh range. Am pretty confused regarding the available options. Should I get an windows machine or the MacBook Air with the M1 chip. The basic uses will be internet browsing ms office related tasks running sap client and VC from time to time.

Have never used a Mac before but i am pretty good with tech and am confident of using it for the above tasks. I am partial to lenovo T series or X series but it seems unavailable in their official site.

I understand I can buy a much cheaper laptop for all the above tasks but am eligible for the above amount and want to get a good machine for this. Please do send me some recommendations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke1972 (Post 5293968)
I am in the market for a new laptop around the 1 lakh range. Am pretty confused regarding the available options. Should I get an windows machine or the MacBook Air with the M1 chip. The basic uses will be internet browsing ms office related tasks running sap client and VC from time to time.

Have never used a Mac before but i am pretty good with tech and am confident of using it for the above tasks. I am partial to lenovo T series or X series but it seems unavailable in their official site.

I understand I can buy a much cheaper laptop for all the above tasks but am eligible for the above amount and want to get a good machine for this. Please do send me some recommendations.

You can always explore the realm of "Mobile Workstation". These are ultimate in portable computers and can be configured to match most of the desk top computers.

HP, Lenovo and Dell all sell these machines. So you can peruse their sires and choose what takes your fancy.

Quote:

The basic uses will be internet browsing ms office related tasks running sap client and VC from time to time.

Do check if SAP client is supported on Mac. If Mac is generally used in in your workplace, just get a Mac + 3 year coverage. Some things might not work on Mac in corporate , such as Single-sign-on and few MS Office files. If others are already using Mac, chances are those issues have been handled already.

Quote:

I am in the market for a new laptop around the 1 lakh range. Am pretty confused regarding the available options. Should I get an windows machine or the MacBook Air with the M1 chip.

Just check with your Org's IT Support team if they have any challenges in supporting a Mac. I've used my MacBook Air M1 for office work (through VPN / Virtual Desktop) and had no issues. Almost every application now supports both Windows and MacOS.

A MBA M1 (256 GB SSD / 16 GB RAM) costs 1.13 lakhs. Add to that ~5k for a multi-port adapter (since the MBA comes with only two Thunderbolt 3/ USB 4 ports - one of which is used for power).

Quote:

.....Should I get an windows machine or the MacBook Air with the M1 chip......

Became a M1 McAir fanboy. Long - and I mean l o n g - battery charge cycles and super quick responsiveness.

Yeah as other pointed out check compatibility with you corporate apps. Though most use client server tech now and that means effectively browser front end

Thanks for all the responses. Well the overwhelming favorite seems MacBook AIR. Well my organisation's SAP client / VPN works on the MacOS and would need MS Office apps and am set. The only grouse seems the lack of ports on the machine as it has only 2 thunderbolt 3 ports.

Been partial to Lenovo ThinkPad's because of the build quality, after sales service maybe time has come to consider a Mac which would also offer the same if not higher levels. One more question should i get the 256/16gb or the 512/8gb variant of the same. Next task remains finalising the colour options :cool:.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke1972 (Post 5295697)
Thanks for all the responses. Well the overwhelming favorite seems MacBook AIR

Apple is expected to release a new version of Macbook Air in June WWDC event. If you can wait for few months; you might be able to get it cheaper. It is expected have better selection of ports and few other updates such as faster CPU and support for 16 GB RAM.

Since this is for work; this might not matter though.