Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2021, 15:54   #6496
BANNED

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Have a Dell Inspiron which is 3.5 years old. It's an excellent laptop except for 1 thing - socket in the laptop body into which the charger goes gets loose contact within 8-9 months.Then either the charger gets replaced or the socket in the laptop body gets replaced under warranty. Not planning to renew the warranty after 4 years so I was wondering if there is a long term solution to this problem? Why does this happen so frequently & if it can be avoided. And if it happens when it's out of the warranty period, could the socket be cheaply & easily replaced by local mechanic?
Old 8th December 2021, 20:13   #6497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
... charger goes gets loose contact within 8-9 months.... long term solution to this problem?
Does this model have a usb-c port with power delivery ? You can switch to usb-c charger.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 14:38   #6498
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Does this model have a usb-c port with power delivery ? You can switch to usb-c charger.
It does seem to have a USB-C port. I plugged in a phone USB-C charger I have in my home, but the laptop gave the message that it doesn't meet minimum 27W requirement.

However, even if this worked, I am not sure why it would be better?
Old 9th December 2021, 15:17   #6499
BHPian

Quote:
It does seem to have a USB-C port. I plugged in a phone USB-C charger I have in my home, but the laptop gave the message that it doesn't meet minimum 27W requirement.

I too have a Dell and I worry about this same problem, though luckily for me it was the adapter pin that failed. However, I can see my charging port getting damaged like yours if I'm not careful, because the new adapter pin is heftier and is more likely to damage the port or the board inside.

Possible solution - magnetic connector:
https://www.amazon.in/Magnetic-Adapt...07TT6NGBC?th=1

I bought this type of adapter, but I got a fake one and the company refunded my money, promised me that if I ordered again, they would send me a genuine iSkey magnetic adapter. I have yet to reorder, but I think this type of magnetic connector is the way to go. I used the fake one with my Samsung phone and worked quite well for a while, so I think it is a good solution. The fake adapter was detected as a keyboard by my Dell laptop, so I could not use it, and it also did not fit snugly in the USB-c port creating a loose connection. Apparently the genuine product works well.
Attached Thumbnails
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-iskey.png  

Old 9th December 2021, 16:10   #6500
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
I too have a Dell and I worry about this same problem, though luckily for me it was the adapter pin that failed.
Both have failed for me at different times. However, when they changed the port - it looked like a very simple operation. A socket like part replaced - other than the fact the adapter pin can be replaced without opening up the laptop, the socket looked like a much cheaper part.

Quote:
Possible solution - magnetic connector:
https://www.amazon.in/Magnetic-Adapt...07TT6NGBC?th=1

I bought this type of adapter, but I got a fake one and the company refunded my money, promised me that if I ordered again, they would send me a genuine iSkey magnetic adapter. I have yet to reorder, but I think this type of magnetic connector is the way to go.
Is the wattage sufficient? As I wrote in another reply when I tried a regular USB-C phone charger on the laptop, the laptop said that the charger is less than 27W & hence cannot be used.
Old 9th December 2021, 16:31   #6501
BHPian

Quote:
I bought this type of adapter, but I got a fake one ... Apparently the genuine product works well.
Go for the newer 24 pin connector. Has been working fine with my 65w type c charger. I have heard incidents of the older 20 pin design shorting the motherboard.

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-fonken.jpg
anoop.u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 17:08   #6502
BHPian

Quote:
Both have failed for me at different times. However, when they changed the port - it looked...
Depends on the board design, my Samsung laptop that suffered this problem had the port soldered to the main board. Others have a daughter board that's easily replaced.
Quote:
is the wattage sufficient?
Obviously, you'd have to buy a usb-c power supply suitable for your laptop.
I wanted it only for data transfer with the Dell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.u View Post
Go for the newer 24 pin connector. Has been working fine with my 65w type c charger. I have heard incidents of the older 20 pin design shorting the motherboard.
Which exact brand is this? Could you please post a link to the item? TIA
Old 9th December 2021, 17:30   #6503
BANNED

Quote:
Depends on the board design, my Samsung laptop that suffered this problem had the port soldered to the main board. Others have a daughter board that's easily replaced.
In mine, it was far simpler than that, just a little socket removed & replaced.
Old 9th December 2021, 18:42   #6504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...t it doesn't meet minimum 27W requirement.
You need to get an adapter that can supply more power. Like this one :

https://www.amazon.in/Artis-Adapter-...dp/B08CBCPW8P/

Quote:
USB-C PD has stricter requirements for physical ports; so they tend to last longer. You can keep using Dell charger till it lasts and look for alternatives when port or charger gives up the ghost.
Old 18th December 2021, 11:53   #6505
BHPian

Hello everybody, I need some help and advise from you all. My brother is in the market to buy a new laptop. He needs laptop to handle his daily chores related to work, thus requiring good processing speed, a large RAM and most importantly good battery life also he plays simple games like chess and cricket etc. He is interested in buying windows OS only and has a budget of ~65k INR. Please help me with the exact models as I'm a bit lacking in this department and will simply buy the one which is highly recommended by you all.

Thanking you all in advance. Stay safe, stay healthy!
Old 18th December 2021, 12:39   #6506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony2298 View Post
daily chores related to work..games like chess and cricket etc... a budget of ~65k INR.
How important is 'ease of travel' / commute with laptop ?

Generally, you can choose laptops that are light + some compromise on performance OR laptops that are thick + heavy but have more performance and battery life.
Old 18th December 2021, 13:16   #6507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
How important is 'ease of travel' / commute with laptop ?

Generally, you can choose laptops that are light + some compromise on performance OR laptops that are thick + heavy but have more performance and battery life.
It should be somewhere in between, I mean it shouldn’t be feather light but have a worse battery life but at the same time it shouldn’t be very heavy like a brick. To be precise I’m ok with a bit of heft if I get good battery life and performance in return.
Old 18th December 2021, 14:15   #6508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony2298 View Post
It should be somewhere in between
Have a look at Dell Inspiron 5518 : https://www.amazon.in/Dell-Inspiron-...dp/B097C3B9DZ/ . https://www.dell.com/en-in/shop/lapt...cc-c783511win8. (Both are same models , just different options for buying)

It has :
  1. Latest i5 CPU. Good enough for normal office work in next ~5 years
  2. 16 GB RAM , 512 GB storage
  3. ~6 Hours of battery (Dell claims 8)
  4. Should work with Zoom requirements for CPU in terms of background / noise cancellation etc
Old 18th December 2021, 16:21   #6509
BHPian

Try MSI Modern15. AMD R5, 8GB RAM & 512GB SSD (both upgradeable to 32GB and 1TB). At 1.6kg, its also relatively easy to travel with. I got it for 46k - Base configuration.
Old 25th December 2021, 12:34   #6510
BHPian

Guys, Need your help please.

I after receiving my laptop initially had deleted many softwares which I didn't require. Now I regret that decision, I had deleted some useful apps like DTS Ultra etc. Is there any other way to get those back other that resetting the laptop.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks