Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2021, 16:40   #6316
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I had given some rave reviews on the Mac air which I got 1.5 years back. Looks like I had spoken too soon. The laptop is having multiple issues with the display. First got marks on the screen from the keyboard. Now there are dead pixels..

A simple search on google informs you that these are pretty common issues in Apple laptops and they are doing nothing about it. So much for the unbeatable HW and Apple QA.
I have attached the picture of my 6 year old mid 2012 macbook pro, which happens to be my workshorse. Its been upgraded to match the current gen missions with 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD + 512 GB 7200 rpm hard disk.

Coming to the point, my macbook comes with a lip at the bezel, mean the bezel is extended by a mm or so to avoid the problems like key marks on the screen.
Does the air do not have this lip? In that case, can you use a good clean cloth between the screen and keyboard whenever you are closing the lid and see whether you can avoid this?
Second option may be to stick a sticker or something to the corners to keep the lid from pressing on the keys?
Attached Thumbnails
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-mymac_img.png  

Old 5th July 2021, 17:01   #6317
Senior - BHPian

Apple claims the keypads never touch the display with lid closed, but surely that is not the case at least in some devices. Not sure whether this is a tolerance issue.
Also these marks are very hard to see when screen is on since this is not on the glass but on screen coating.
You will have to turn the display off and shine a bright light.

Both these issues does not affect any functionality, but the tall quality claims made by Apple is suspect.

Last edited by poloman : 5th July 2021 at 17:03.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 17:20   #6318
BANNED

I need to get a new laptop for home use.

My home use:
1. Morning 8AM to 1 PM everyday my son would use it for his online school on MS Teams with always on camera, hence a good battery and high brightness.
2. I will use it for my evening project which would need some hardware virtualization etc. I am looking at 11th gen i5 only. Peace flag: my current Ryzen 5 2500U was unable to handle few software' virtualization requirement due to compatibility issues.
3. 16gb RAM is good, but I can manage with 8gb as long as it is dual channel and works on 3200 MHz (hence 11 gen).
4. NVMe SSD is must, minimum 512gb.
5. I need a compact one, 14 inch or less. My son can not carry my current 15.6" 1.8 kg stone block.
6. Good service and build quality to last at-least 3 years.
7. Budget around 60k is comfortable for me.

For my work, I am using work provided EliteBook 840.
My current outgoing home machine is also a HP 15 series with Ryzen 5, but the crap HDD killing the entire thing. The cheap model doesn't even has an extra M2 port to keep a bootable 1st gen SSD.

I am at this moment looking at
1. HP Pavilion 14 : I loved the high configuration of HP, but HP display and battery are always crap.
2. Acer Swift 3: Impressed with the small compact and light weight machine, but bit skeptical about narrow keyboard area.
3. Asus VivoBook S14 (s433): Very confusing models with so many options.

Am I missing something? Suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by PetrolRider : 14th July 2021 at 17:31.
Old 14th July 2021, 17:32   #6319
Senior - BHPian

This was a configuration I recommended to a friend of mine with a similar requirement.

https://www.dell.com/en-in/shop/lapt...cc-c782502win8

Stretching your budget a bit would get you this outlier - MSI Modern B11 https://www.flipkart.com/msi-modern-...tore_OrganicAu

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 14th July 2021 at 17:41.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 17:36   #6320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post

I am at this moment looking at
1. HP Pavilion 14 : I loved the high configuration of HP, but HP display and battery are always crap.

HP batteries are total crap I agree. My 1.5 year old work laptop, HP Elitebook battery bulged out cracking open the chassis. Got it replaced from IT with out any issue. If some one had got this as their personal laptop, would have lost a small fortune on the battery, just 6 months after warranty period.
Old 16th July 2021, 11:03   #6321
Team-BHP Support

Any recommendations for a compact portable SSD?
Old 16th July 2021, 13:33   #6322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I have a HP Envy X360 bought for my daughter's online classes last June from Chroma. It is just out of warranty. It is a convertible model with touchscreen.
My concern is why there is no availability of parts for a new premium laptop. Especially since it was launched only on 17.04.2020, about 15 months back. I don't mind waiting, but the vibe I'm getting is that HP no longer supports this model, though it is on sale on their official website.
The Quotation from 3rd party vendor is about 30K.
Should I get this repaired? Anyway I can procure the screen from elsewhere?
Attached Thumbnails
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-screen-shot-20210716-1.29.01-pm.png  

Old 16th July 2021, 15:13   #6323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You can get the display at half the cost here

https://lapgadgets.in/products/hp-pa...xoCq30QAvD_BwE

Check a few youtube videos on how to change display on your laptop model and you can do it yourself. If not, you can get it replaced at a local laptop repair store for a 1000 bucks max.

A video guide

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 16th July 2021 at 15:14.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 18:40   #6324
BHPian

Quote:
I changed the display cable for my laptop. Check a youtube video and you can try. If you are not comfortable you can go to a nearby shop and ask them to change it. I sourced the parts from Amazon.
Old 16th July 2021, 19:45   #6325
BHPian

Quote:
I need to get a new laptop for home use.

My home use:
1. Morning 8AM to 1 PM everyday my son would use it for his online school on MS Teams with always on camera, hence a good battery and high brightness.
for me.

For my work, I am using work provided EliteBook 840.
My current outgoing home machine is also a HP 15 series with Ryzen 5, but the crap HDD killing the entire thing. The cheap model doesn't even has an extra M2 port to keep a bootable 1st gen SSD.
: V

You can add a SSD the regular one not the nvme ones. It would be really make the system quite responsive.

If these are the only requirements then when a Pentium gold would support. Not really sure what are the other requirements. However just adding SSD would make a big difference.

If you have a cd/dvd rom in the laptop and don't really use you can remove it and add a caddy of you want HDD as well. However HDD is quite power hungry.
Old 16th July 2021, 19:53   #6326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
You can get the display at half the cost here

https://lapgadgets.in/products/hp-pa...xoCq30QAvD_BwE
This is HP Pavilion. Mine is HP Envy X360. Not finding the required part. Part number is L53432-001
Old 16th July 2021, 20:03   #6327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post
Hello,

Need help with laptop issue...
I would suggest go with option 1.

SATA HDDs would make a huge difference. As you have a 7th Gen you should be having the latest SATA 3 which will be supported by your laptop.

Barring the HDD you laptop seems to be in a good shape for your requirements.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th July 2021 at 20:11. Reason: Please do not quote entire long posts. Thanks.
anupamsinha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 10:45   #6328
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupamsinha View Post
You can add a SSD the regular one not the nvme ones. It would be really make the system quite responsive.

If these are the only requirements then when a Pentium gold would support. Not really sure what are the other requirements. However just adding SSD would make a big difference.

If you have a cd/dvd rom in the laptop and don't really use you can remove it and add a caddy of you want HDD as well. However HDD is quite power hungry.
Thank you for the suggestion. A 2.5" SATA SSD, would cost me around 7K. Plus, I have the OS and MS Office on the old HDD, hence I need external adapter so that, I can boot form the old drive and copy the OS.
My current drive gives me a diskmark reading rate of 105ish where 2.5" SATA SSD would hardly give me 500ish. This would have been certainly an interesting DYI for me 15 years back, but not worth the time at this age. Intel Optane 32 GB, would be much simpler and cost effective, if just HDD is the issue, unfortunately my current laptop skips on this tiny M2 port altogether.

My other requirement is the point mentioned above,
Quote:
2. I will use it for my evening project which would need some hardware virtualization
To be honest, my Ryzen 5 2500U is not making the cut here, Pentium gold even doesn't have that support.

Just checked, Amazon would be selling Fujitsu Uh-X series from next week, anybody has any experience of Fujitsu service in India? Their website drew a blank.
Also, Vaio has entered Indian market with Nexstgo. The config seems as appealing as old vaio, but Nexstgo if I remember was not exactly successful on their solo last time in India.

Last edited by PetrolRider : 17th July 2021 at 10:59.
Old 17th July 2021, 17:40   #6329
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion. A 2.5" SATA SSD, would cost me around 7K. Plus, I have the OS and MS Office on the old HDD, hence I need external adapter so that, I can boot form the old drive and copy the OS.
These days systems store the windows key and other info in the UEFI. Chances are that if you did not get the cd key or restore media it would be there. You can download the ISO/image from Microsoft and install. There won't be any need to enter any key.

For MS office, you can register on Microsoft and then you can again download the installer and install it from there again.

Quote:
My other requirement is the point mentioned above,
To be honest, my Ryzen 5 2500U is not making the cut here, Pentium gold even doesn't have that support.
I checked on Intel's website it lists pretty much lists all the current gen processors having visualization support.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...urefilter.html

However I also prefer Intel. Have burnt my hands twice with AMD and now prefer Intel only.
anupamsinha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 19:05   #6330
BHPian

Quote:
Ryzen 5 2500U has virtualization support - the setting may be disabled in the BIOS/UEFI. I'd be really surprised if x86 processors did not support it - very old tech. Pentium you'd have to check.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks