AYP
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Hello Guys,

Planning to get a new laptop. Confused between these options-

1. https://www.flipkart.com/msi-gf65-th...01620768392816

2. https://www.flipkart.com/msi-gf63-th...01620771202660

3. https://www.flipkart.com/asus-rog-st...01620768392816

Prima facie, option 1 seems like the best compromise between the GPU and the CPU. Would love to hear your opinions as well.

Additionally, I have shortlisted these 2 'value' options as well-

1. https://www.amazon.in/ASUS-i5-10300H...mputers&sr=1-3

2. https://www.amazon.in/Acer-15-6-inch...mputers&sr=1-5

So my questions are-

1. Which is the best overall laptop among the three listed above? Is option 1 the best?

2. Which is the better 'value' laptop?

3. Should I go for the value laptop or the higher priced options?

4. How is the service feedback of MSI and ASUS at your area? Specifics related to Mumbai and Thane would be more appreciated. The service factor might tilt the balance in either MSI's or ASUS' favour.

5. Any other comments with regards to MSI vs ASUS?

Looking to order by today afternoon itself. Feedback shall be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by AYP : 12th May 2021 at 05:01.
Old 18th May 2021, 17:25   #6212
BHPian

Guys I need to buy a laptop for my sister. She's HR , working remotely so not looking for a performance oriented laptop. She would be working with Excel and MS Office mostly. She currently has Lenovo Ideapad but it's having ram issues. The repair guy said it has in-built ram modules (IIRC) only so it'll be difficult to repair the thing, and he isn't sure if laptop will run after repairing so not looking for new lenovo laptop. Budget is 45 -50k ₹. I hope 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD should be sufficient for the use case. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. I'm leaning more towards Xiaomi laptops. Are they good enough like HP or Dell ?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Old 19th May 2021, 08:49   #6213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
She would be working with Excel and MS Office mostly.
I got this for my son in the 12th grade about three months back and this does most things a normal user would want. Got it for 35k after exchange of 9k for an older laptop. There is another seller on this page at a lower price.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08HK11NCJ
We have three HP laptops at home and they are good value for money, considering the covid shortage.
diyguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 08:58   #6214
Senior - BHPian

Go for a 11th gen (Tigerlake) machine. The processor has in built AI acceleration for Office products. The experience will be far better (compared to the 10th gen one as in the link by diyguy).
joslicx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 17:03   #6215
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, a basic laptop or AIO needed for a class 8 student exclusively for online school and related activities. Budget is a max of 30K. Any ideas?
Old 28th May 2021, 19:03   #6216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Guys, a basic laptop or AIO needed for a class 8 student exclusively for online school and related activities. Budget is a max of 30K. Any ideas?
I too am looking for one for my kids online classes and personal use. I was initially planning for i3 10th gen for about 35K with 8G RAM and 1TB SATA. Now wondering if I should upgrade for 11th gen i5 which will cost me approx 10K more.

For 30K, I think you can get Ryzen 3 or Pentium processor.
Old 29th May 2021, 02:25   #6217
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

For a strict budget of 30k, this is what I'd suggest-

https://www.flipkart.com/acer-aspire...=1622234956730

Grab it before it goes out of stock.
Old 29th May 2021, 08:03   #6218
BHPian

I would not recommend an i3 to anyone, no matter how basic your needs are. i3s are extremely slow, even more when combined with 4gb ram and a HDD - a few tabs and YouTube/ Netflix will make you pull your hair out. Try your best to spend a few thousands more for an i5 - superior experience and longer life.
rayjaycleoful is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 08:06   #6219
Senior - BHPian

Getting back here. I have finalised 2 options from Dell.
1. Vostro 3500 with 10th gen i3 and Intel UHD graphics-39.7K
2. Vostro 3500 with 11th Gen i5 with Intel Iris graphics card-48.6K

Both get 256GB SSD boot drive and 1TB SATA along with 8GB RAM. I also get 2Y ProSupport warranty.

My use is primarily for online classes for my Kid,browsing, movie and some data. I'd like to hold this for long time hence thinking i5 may be better for extra 9K? Any thoughts?
Old 29th May 2021, 10:43   #6220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
I would not recommend an i3 to anyone, no matter how basic your needs are. i3s are extremely slow, even more when combined with 4gb ram and a HDD - a few tabs and YouTube/ Netflix will make you pull your hair out. Try your best to spend a few thousands more for an i5 - superior experience and longer life.
I have faced this exact same problem when i bought a i3 Lenovo laptop for my daughter. It came with 4gb RAM and 1TB HDD. Upgraded the RAM to 8 GB but its still slow and hangs. It takes ages to boot up and RAM usage is still high.

Would you or any experts here suggest upgrading the RAM to 16GB or put in a SSD ? Which would solve this problem ? The laptop is fine otherwise, excellent full HD IPS screen, keypad is comfortable, looks good,nice battery backup also hence don’t want to sell it off.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 10:45   #6221
BHPian

Quote:
You can go with mini pc from Asus (PN50). It has WiFi 6, RYzen processor.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08FG7B4T1/...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Old 29th May 2021, 11:20   #6222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all. I went the el cheapo route and bought this ₹25K Chromebook:
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 14:37   #6223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post

Would you or any experts here suggest upgrading the RAM to 16GB or put in a SSD ? Which would solve this problem ? The laptop is fine otherwise, excellent full HD IPS screen, keypad is comfortable, looks good,nice battery backup also hence don’t want to sell it off.
SSD of course. 8GB RAM is good enough for just about everything for any casual use. SSD upgrade will surely surprise you.
joslicx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 16:19   #6224
BHPian

Quote:
I have faced this exact same problem when i bought a i3 Lenovo laptop for my daughter. It came with 4gb RAM and 1TB HDD. Upgraded the RAM to 8 GB but its still slow and hangs. It takes ages to boot up and RAM usage is still high.

Exactly. These devices are advertised as ~30K vfm laptops for basic needs but excel + YouTube causes it to hang. I have burnt my hands on one too. I would suggest to use as is for sometime and then replace. The processor is weak and SSD + further RAM might not help its case.
rayjaycleoful is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 17:16   #6225
BHPian

Quote:
8 GB is enough for your usage and this laptop configuration, SSD will make a big difference. Make sure you won't be repeating the mistake of buying the laptop while buying new SSD, avoid those cheap SSDs, buy something like Samsung EVO or equivalent. If M.2 is supported in your laptop then get that.

If you are okay with bit of learning curve and don't want to spend anything on this laptop then another options is to install Linux, that will also improve your user experience by multiple folds. You can install Linux along side existing Windows in dual boot configuration.
tbppjpr is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed