Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2021, 12:40   #6196
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by distiller View Post
I’m not sure about Linux OS & thus doesn’t feel comfortable leaving the MS ecosystem.
No need to go away from MS ecosystem, you can install the Linux OS in dual boot configuration on your existing system, keep existing Windows as it is along with all the files and settings intact and play with Linux for few days until you find out perfect machine for you or maybe you don't even need to.

You also get open source office package like LibreOffice in the Linux which is free to use, you can use the same office package in Windows as well if you want to try it out. There are plenty of Linux distros to begin with, but to simplify the things for you I would suggest Linux Mint Cinnamon. If you need any help regarding installation then let me know.

Quote:
And aren’t most of the electronic products being shipped from China. Also being a noob in the field it’s very difficult to find out or know what’s happening with our system. Although will try to your recommendations once I plan my purchase.
I told about staying away from Chinese origin brands, obviously you can't avoid made in China, neither I said so.
Old 2nd May 2021, 15:01   #6197
BHPian

Quote:

Much of my tasks will be confined to Excel, Word & PowerPoint, browsing internet, net banking. And I don’t think any of my tasks will be too demanding. I’m looking for a machine which can give me trouble free service for a longer period & hence my willingness to go for a good machine.
The LG Gram 15Z90N is currently discounted and should be an ideal pick. It is both reliable and durable, as evidenced by its 3-year warranty and MIL-STD certifications.

Great display & battery life, upgradable RAM/storage despite the compact, ultra-light chassis. It is nearly perfect.
Amien is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 15:58   #6198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Not much knowledge about mics, rather I am also looking for an external mic since I like to play the games on my surround speaker setup instead of using the headphone.

You will know better about audio related equipments than anyone else so if you do some research and find any entry level budget friendly mic then please let me know, also share what to look when searching the mics.
My suggestion is to consider condenser microphones. These usually require a power supply, they normally have a battery inside them but since I have always used an "audio interface" the audio interface is able to provide "24V phantom power".

Dynamic microphones have their use. The SM57/58 for example are very hardy and can withstand heavy use by rock bands. The SM7B is another podcaster favourite but requires a microphone preamp to extract the best out of it. I like the Beta 58A and SM7B in their budget class.

I would consider the Rode NT1+ (at 32 mV/Pa, it is sensitive hence can be used with almost any interface) as a good place to start. These are usually available for around 20k in Mumbai. The other "budget" options I can think of are the AKG P420, C214, and Sennheiser Mk4. Most other microphones I have used are between $500-1000.

For a good audio interface, I would recommend Audient's EVO 4 as it has an automatic gain level. Of course, if you can afford the SSL 2+ or Audient ID14mk2 they will offer many more features and world-class microphone preamps. If you are a musician the Motu M4 is also great as it competes with SSL and Audient and other more expensive interfaces (RME, UAD etc) in latency. Latency is a big issue (most of this is due to software) for musicians as even a few milliseconds can throw a musician off.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 17:37   #6199
BHPian

I need a suggestion on buying a case for SSD hard drive. Recently I had to retrieve a 512GB SSD (something like this https://www.amazon.in/Kingston-SSDNo...956843&sr=8-10) from my old laptop and I want to buy a case so that I can use it as an external portable hard drive. Will this (https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...WI0VEHLG&psc=1) be compatible? The reason I am asking is, most of the items in amazon comes with ‘Replacement’ option instead of ‘Return’. So, I just want to make sure that the case is compatible with the SSD, before I place the order.
Old 2nd May 2021, 19:32   #6200
Senior - BHPian

Yes, case should work with this SSD.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 15:10   #6201
BHPian

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...WI0VEHLG&psc=1

Please suggest the above laptop. Usage condition: everyday use, like, office, video classes/meetings/seminars.
Old 3rd May 2021, 15:29   #6202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...WI0VEHLG&psc=1

Please suggest the above laptop. Usage condition: everyday use, like, office, video classes/meetings/seminars.
I had the same requirements and usage conditions a few months back and even I had considered the same MI Notebook that you are considering. I ended up choosing the below laptop based on few responses in this very thread.

https://www.amazon.in/ASUS-VivoBook-...s%2C314&sr=1-4
Yakuza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 16:18   #6203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Since your performance requirements are modest, its a good idea to prioritize things like reliability, durability and utility (good keyboard etc).

I'd recommend the 11th gen. based Thinkpad E15 20TDS0A000 instead.
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 16:30   #6204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
My suggestion is to consider condenser microphones. These usually require a power supply, they normally have a battery inside them but since I have always used an "audio interface" the audio interface is able to provide "24V phantom power".
Considering extended WFH, I recently moved from Laptop only mode to all external (Monitor, Microphone, Speaker, Webcam, Mouse, KB). For Microphone, I bought FIFINE K678 which connects to my Laptop through USB. My usage is only WebEx/Team calls, but I am sure this will be good for gaming too. Experience is good so far. It has a gain control and also a headphone output + volume control to monitor / adjust your own voice when needed.
Old 3rd May 2021, 18:12   #6205
BHPian

Hi Amien, thanks for your recommendation. Sorry, but would like to ask one more question, what is your opinion about HP Pavilion 14dv0053 or 54 model.
Old 3rd May 2021, 18:40   #6206
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Amien, thanks for your recommendation. Sorry, but would like to ask one more question, what is your opinion about HP Pavilion 14dv0053 or 54 model.
Lighter/more portable but doesn't come close to the Thinkpad's build/durability.

When compared to the LG Gram, it has neither the lightness nor the build.

Last edited by Amien : 3rd May 2021 at 18:43.
Old 3rd May 2021, 20:59   #6207
Senior - BHPian

Hello all,
Planning to invest in an external monitor with a budget of 20K or thereabouts. My work will entail mostly around complex and wide excel sheets, powerpoint presentations, etc.
Mainly IT Delivery management work.

I will also use it to consume YouTube videos, general browsing and light OTT consumption.
Thinking 24-27 inches will be perfect. I will be mounting this on the wall. Would you recommend getting a 2K/4K monitor? Or would it be an overkill.

Cursory browsing on Amazon and these 2 caught my eye:
Benq 4K

Benq FHD

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 3rd May 2021 at 21:06.
Old 3rd May 2021, 22:26   #6208
BHPian

Looking for generic use. Microsoft Office, Web browsing, watching OTT and Zoom calls. But want it be future proof for about 5 years. Should I aim for AMD Ryzen 5, 512 GB SSD and 16 GB RAM to be good for 5 years with this usage? I am guessing separate Video card will not be needed. What are my best options available for about 60-70K? If this is too low for such config, should I increase budget or wait for a few months (if there is chance of prices to come down )? Also from heat management aspect, is it better to go for 15/17 inch rather than 13/14 inch? I do not have much need of portability.

Now on to software, is it better cost-wise to get a DOS machine or a Windows Basic O/S and then buy Windows Professional version separately to install? Will Windows Basic be with lots of bloatware which Professional will be free off? For MS Office, should I go for install on machine or buy a web-based O365 subscription?
Old 4th May 2021, 11:22   #6209
Senior - BHPian

Planning to buy a laptop for my dad, not a heavy user, surfs the Internet, reads online news paper(have set up a seperate screen for him) and uses Word and excel files.
While browsing through flipkart found the below-
https://www.flipkart.com/dell-inspir...2f91285e048e09
Am already using an office issued Dell Precision and happy with the performance. Any feedback on the above said would be helpful.
Old 4th May 2021, 14:40   #6210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Planning to invest in an external monitor .
Looking forward to your suggestions.
The BenQ PD2700Q is a fine choice (its a 1440p monitor). Please post in the computer monitor recommendations thread instead:- https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ations-16.html (Computer monitor recommendations?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchjyoti View Post
Looking for generic use. Microsoft Office, Web browsing, watching OTT and Zoom calls. But want it be future proof for about 5 years.

Now on to software
Your requirements appear to be general purpose with a focus on longevity. Pick the Thinkpad model shared above. Link to post:- https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post5056269 (The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions)

Software concerns are valid but don't let them colour your choice of hardware. Pick the best there and then choose and decide based on what's available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Planning to buy a laptop for my dad, external monitor, light use, inspiron
I would recommend the HP 14s-FR0016AU instead. It is far superior to the Inspiron linked for not a whole lot more.

Last edited by Amien : 4th May 2021 at 14:41.
Amien is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks