Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-41.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rr_zen (Post 371371)
DELL does not sell LATITUDE notebooks to home users and it is meant only for official purposes. I tried my level best to get a LATITUDE but they plainly refused saying I will have to take the INSPIRON or else route the order through my company and that the invoice would be made in the name of the company.

Latitude models will be phased out sooner in comparison to the inspiron models. For home users inspiron is more than enough. I was told that Dell Latitude makes sense only for long hour workings per day.

I am using an INspiron 710m for the last one year. The display connector screwed up and they had to change the mother board. It was replaced under warranty with in 4 days. They did not have the 710m parts in stock. i purchased this from US and transfered the warranty here.

The service was excellent. Even the transfer of warranty from US to India took only one day.

Wipro is doing the support for Dell in India. So service is not an issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surprise (Post 371446)
Latitude models will be phased out sooner in comparison to the inspiron models. For home users inspiron is more than enough. I was told that Dell Latitude makes sense only for long hour workings per day.

Contrary to what you have said, I was told exactly the opposite by DELL Customer Service and remember reading it too somewhere that the Inspirons are the ones that are phased out soon and the Latitude models have a relatively longer tenure before a new model is launched. Though am happy with the Inspiron, I feel that the Latitude looks more professional. This is my personal opinion arising out of my everyday usage of the Latitude at work.

Check this link too, which suggests that if you want performance in the long run, the Latitude is the answer. Why Inspiron notebooks?

A friend bro is looking for a laptop as he is going in for engineering. Most of the time he will be in college ans hostel. He will be visiting home just on weekends that to twice a month. So need a laptop for all the needs.

Requirements:
GFX card a must he said. Gaming Freak huh ?
1GB Ram minimum
15" sufficient as he will taking it here and there. 14 is also ok.
60GB minimum.
Core2Duo
Plus he maybe using AutoCad type softwares.

So which one to buy. His preferences are 1.Acer 2.Dell 3.HP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamborghini (Post 350571)
Hey guys,
i'm currently using an old Compaq Presario 2100 for my school work.
While the laptop is holding up, there is one small problem.
Recently, the laptop has stopped reading whatever device i put into my USB port including my Nokia Data Cable and Transcend 1GB pen drive.
Is there anything i can do?
Thanks.
Cheers

Well you can take it to the service center and show them or you can just slap it 3 - 4 times (worked for me when my usb stopped working) lol:. I am yet to open up my laptop myself soon to clear off dust and stuff.

P.S. How do i keep my laptop temperature down :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhibh (Post 394361)
A friend bro is looking for a laptop as he is going in for engineering. Most of the time he will be in college ans hostel. He will be visiting home just on weekends that to twice a month. So need a laptop for all the needs.

Requirements:
1GB Ram minimum
60GB minimum.
Core2Duo

I would recommend Nvidia gpu. He can look at the Hp pavilion with nvidia 7600. I dunno if its available in India. Otherwise there's also the TOshiba's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhibh (Post 394363)
P.S. How do i keep my laptop temperature down :confused:

Let your cpu downclock by selecting minimal power consumption or max battery according to requirement.

Clean the air vents so that they get proper passage of air.

You can downclock your cpu and gpu so that they dont heat up.

Remove programs you dont use at startup.

Let the notebook go into standby when not used for sometime.

keep the areas where the vents are, open so that hot air can pass out.

Whats the Max bugdet please? will help to provide better ooptions.

Quote:

Requirements:
1GB Ram minimum
60GB minimum.
Core2Duo

I dont know but if he is looking for all that it must be 60K.

How do i down clock the CPU ?

for 60K I dont think he can get anything above x1400/7400. But do keep looking.

For downclocking a cpu there are lots of applications. Same goes for GPU's also (either nvidia or ati dedicated)

give me your specs, I will show you the application.

Specs:
1.3 Celeron Mobile.
512 MB DDR
Intel's inbuilt GFX and basic stuff USB, Modem, lan

here is an article that will also help you undervolt your cpu.

Warning: DO it at your own risk. :D

CPU Undervolting & Underclocking: A Primer | silentpcreview.com

Quote:

Requirements:
1GB Ram minimum
60GB minimum.
Core2Duo

I bought a HP Pavilion dv6137tx model for nearly 65000 (dont remember now) in Feb. Meets all your requirement and based on my research most VFM. Its a Core2Duo 5500 processor at 1.66Ghz, 1 GB Ram, 120 GB HD, 1.3mp Cam with TV Tuner Card and Vista which i am still waiting. Overall, excellent machine.

Forgot to mention, its also got NVidia GO 7400 graphics card with 256 mb Ram.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grvanand (Post 398705)
Forgot to mention, its also got NVidia GO 7400 graphics card with 256 mb Ram.

Well he looked at Dell and he just zeroed on it coz they were providing NVidia GO 7400... Will tell him to look at HP Pavilion dv6137tx.. He's still awaiting his +2 RESULT lol:

Well me friends bro just selected a laptop which i like 15k less than his budget http://dellstore04.sg.dell.com/publi...=40809&sr_no=1

So he wants to know if this one good for a bit of gaming as it includes 256 MB ATI GFX and 512KB L2 cache (its pretty less compared to 2MB). The only thin he is worried about is 1.6GHz. Will it be able to play games as some games require like 2Ghz...

Also he is going in with 1GB RAM