Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-401.html)

Anyone got SM addresses of HP customer service heads or laptop division heads? My cousin bought a new laptop 1.5 months back and it was pronounced Dead on Arrival by HP customer support guy within 5 days.

My cousin was asked to wait for a DoA letter from HP before asking for replacement from Amazon but inspite of numerous follow-ups via email/ phone, no one is responding from last 1 month. Not even the India customer support head. The laptop costed 72k btw. Now we are unsure if Amazon will accept refund because it came with return policy of 7 days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amien (Post 4958458)
This is obviously not true. The quality of the battery determines how much charge it can retain and for how long. Since this is not standardized, its hard to tell if its within spec. or not. Losing 10% overnight suggests poor quality cells but it might not be out of spec.

That Windows 10 thing was a stupid reason, but bottomline was that it is within specifications. Got it, thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avinash_R (Post 4959279)
Anyone got SM addresses of HP customer service heads or laptop division heads? My cousin bought a new laptop 1.5 months back and it was pronounced Dead on Arrival by HP customer support guy within 5 days.

My cousin was asked to wait for a DoA letter from HP before asking for replacement from Amazon but inspite of numerous follow-ups via email/ phone, no one is responding from last 1 month. Not even the India customer support head. The laptop costed 72k btw. Now we are unsure if Amazon will accept refund because it came with return policy of 7 days.

Had a DOA here too, but since I got my device offline, it involved us giving the defective device back to the dealer, after someone sent by HP put everything back in the box and sealed it. Amazon won't do a thing here, a DOA is certainly not their problem

If it were declared DOA, it should have been assessed to be so by someone from a HP service centre so I'd suggest to go and talk in person there if possible, be a little firm in the process. They will definitely try to brush off by saying their part of the issue is done, so you ask them for the proof too. As for the mail addresses, I've tried everything I could find in the support section of their site so far, and all can be equally unresponsive :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amien (Post 4955109)
Absolutely. The surplus power will come in handy when needed and will only add to its longevity.

Finally, bought the devil and loving it to the core!

Thanks for the valuable advise.

Planning for adding SSD, which one should I go for?

Also, should I install any anti virus? if yes, which one you suggest?

Quote:

Originally Posted by metropolis (Post 4963422)

For the SSD i'd recommend you to opt for something with dram caching or HMB. Helps the SSD's performance during large file transfers and with the longetivity.

As for the Antivirus software, Microsoft Defender is pretty good.

Quote:

Congratulations! Linked model should have come with an SSD right? If you need a second one, pick one in your size preference.

You don't need an additional antivirus, Windows 10 defender is good enough.

Quote:

'WD Blue' is recommended. Having been using one for 2+ years. :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMaruru (Post 4963984)
'WD Blue' is recommended. Having been using one for 2+ years. :thumbs up

Thanks mate.

Any specific model (M.2, NVMe)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amien (Post 4963649)
Congratulations! Linked model should have come with an SSD right? If you need a second one, pick one in your size preference.

Thanks dear. Yes, it comes with SSD (238 GB remaining).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amien (Post 4963649)
You don't need an additional antivirus, Windows 10 defender is good enough.

Noted. It is preloaded with McAfee for a month.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatteBlack (Post 4963638)
For the SSD i'd recommend you to opt for something with dram caching or HMB. Helps the SSD's performance during large file transfers and with the longetivity.

As for the Antivirus software, Microsoft Defender is pretty good.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amien (Post 4954452)
Ryzen 4000 variants of the Thinkpad have just launched; an incredible deal for the latest 6-core CPU.

Quote:

Congratulations on your purchase! I am thinking of getting the same laptop. Performance is good but how is the display and does it support 5 GHz wi-fi signals? Also, metropolis and Amien, can you confirm if the RAM is upgradable to 16 GB as 8 GB feels insufficient for my line of work. Amazon listing says so but I have spotted few incorrect listings about the RAM upgrade hence asking.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherlocked (Post 4965791)
Congratulations on your purchase! I am thinking of getting the same laptop. Performance is good but how is the display and does it support 5 GHz wi-fi signals? Also, metropolis and Amien, can you confirm if the RAM is upgradable to 16 GB as 8 GB feels insufficient for my line of work. Amazon listing says so but I have spotted few incorrect listings about the RAM upgrade hence asking.

Thanks.

The Intel AX200 WiFi module is dual-band i.e. it also supports a 5Ghz signal. All standard-sized Thinkpads have upgradable RAM. As for the display, its good enough for any work that doesn't need colour accuracy. Hard to complain about the package at this level of price/performance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherlocked (Post 4965791)

Thanks.

Thanks for the wishes.

The display is good for the offering. Yes, you can upgrade the RAM to 16 GB!

Go for this beast eyes shut. :thumbs up

Hello everyone, I have got a new Asus Vivobook 14' for about 48K recently. It has got following config:

- Core i5 10th Gen
- 8GB RAM
- 512 GB SSD
- 2GB Graphics
- Display is ok types

Now, should I go for RAM upgrade to 12 GB or not? This is maximum listed in specifications for support. As of now, I am not using laptop for resource intensive tasks but it may be required in future. If yes, how should RAM be selected and upgraded. I am complete noob in this area. Thanks. :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by gupta_chd (Post 4966441)
Hello everyone, I have got a new Asus Vivobook 14' for about 48K recently. It has got following config:

- Core i5 10th Gen
- 8GB RAM
- 512 GB SSD
- 2GB Graphics
- Display is ok types

Now, should I go for RAM upgrade to 12 GB or not? This is maximum listed in specifications for support. As of now, I am not using laptop for resource intensive tasks but it may be required in future. If yes, how should RAM be selected and upgraded. I am complete noob in this area. Thanks. :thumbs up

Ram cannot be upgraded to 12GB, it is either 8 or 16GB. If it is a single channel setup, then you need to buy a new 16GB laptop ram. If it is a Dual channel setup, you can go to 32GB as well. Check for your particular model no and you will find videos of upgrades to that model. This should help to figure out if its a dual or single channel of ram slots. Or take it to a computer shop, they will be able to give you the right config.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gupta_chd (Post 4966441)

Now, should I go for RAM upgrade to 12 GB or not? This is maximum listed in specifications for support.

The RAM in your laptop is likely configured like so:-

4 out of the 8GB RAM is soldered and there is only 1 user-upgradable slot populated with another 4GB of RAM. When you swap this module for an 8GB one, you will have access to a total of 12GB with a surplus 4GB stick.

Since the laptop is already running in dual-channel mode, you will not see a performance improvement beyond the extra memory, so only upgrade if you're running low.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amien (Post 4954452)
Ryzen 4000 variants of the Thinkpad have just launched; an incredible deal for the latest 6-core CPU. They're not likely to remain in stock for long, nor at the same price. Integrated Radeon graphics are very competent, should handle basic CAD work without issue.

Back in stock on Amazon. Looks like this variant is quickly going out of stocks. Specs look amazing for the price.

My next laptop would definitely be an entry level Thinkpad. I am currently using a Lenovo Essential B490 which is over 7 years old but does it’s duties well (basic CAD works, browsing, low level image editing) thanks to the SSD and RAM upgrade. Other than that, the fan assembly was replaced sometime back. Will stick to it until it fails completely and then replace it with a Thinkpad. This Ryzen variant looks really good.

Hello Folks,

Need some help in increasing the speed of my laptop. I have gone through some of the latest posts and have installed CPU-Z and sharing the screen shots so that I can get help. Basic issue is the system is very slow. Even a right click for refresh takes 2-3 seconds.

The system is primarily used for online classes. Sometimes the system gets stuck in the middle of the online class.

Details of the laptop:

1. Inspiron 15 5558, i3 4th Gen / 4GB RAM / 500 GB HDD / Win 8.1 / 2GB Nvidia

2. Bought on Jan -2016

I have attached the screenshots of the CPU-Z as a Zip file.

Kindly help.