Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2020, 23:41   #5866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
I would strongly suggest that she get the Samsung Galaxy Tab s7+ 12 .4 inches .I just got once recently and its just awesome . It can turn into a desktop with all the goodness of a Tablet . You should watch some videos of it to make a decision .

Where did you get it from and how much did it cost? Did you consider anything from Apple's ipad stable?
Old 1st October 2020, 10:28   #5867
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post
Where did you get it from and how much did it cost? Did you consider anything from Apple's ipad stable?
I have an Apple iPad Pro 10.5
I wanted something that could give me a desktop-like feel and also have touch ability and had to be portable. The Samsung Dex is so far looking very promising. This has fast charge, sim slot , mem card slot , all the goodness that I needed.

I didn't feel like spending a ton of money on the new apple iPad . Just didn't feel like it. Ordered it from Samsung Online store , had registered for notification when it came in stock .

Paid 79999 with a 6000 cash back on HDFC card and will be getting the promotion 10000 off while purchasing the Samsung kayboard .

For a laptop I use a Asus Zenbbok and a powerfull ASUS ROG with a i7 and 32 GB RAM .

And also have a Lenovo E480 from office .
Old 1st October 2020, 13:54   #5868
Senior - BHPian

The LG Gram laptops are listed on flipkart at following prices.

17 inch i7 8th gen at 89,990.
15 inch i5 8th gen at 69,844.
14 inch i5 8th gen at 64,490.

While the processors are 8th Gen, the features such as 16:10 aspect ratio, amazingly light weight, big battery life, thunderbolt and 3 years warranty seem attractive. Any suggestions on this?

I am looking for a 17 inch light weight laptop with good battery life.15 inchers look too small for regular use to me. The gaming 17 inch laptops are mammoth 2.5-3kg with hardly 3-4 hours real life battery time.

Any suggestion for this requirement, LG gram or otherwise?

Last edited by ani_meher : 1st October 2020 at 13:55.
Old 1st October 2020, 17:03   #5869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I am looking for a 17 inch light weight laptop with good battery life.15 inchers look too small for regular use to me. The gaming 17 inch laptops are mammoth 2.5-3kg with hardly 3-4 hours real life battery time.

17 inch ultraportables are a bit of a no-man's-land. When it comes to portability, size matters a lot more than weight. I would suggest dropping this requirement as you will end up with a sub-optimal choice that is neither very portable nor as performant as it could be.

14 inchers and under are meant to be docked/used with an external monitor for extended use. There are better, more up-to-date and in some cases lighter options than the LG gram in this category.

Similarly, there are options at 15.6 inch that are lighter than the standard 2+kg laptops but without giving up too much performance. Decide if the extra 1-2 inches really matter to you and share your thoughts, will make some recommendations.
Old 1st October 2020, 19:47   #5870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
I have an Apple iPad Pro 10.5

I wanted something that could give me a desktop-like feel and also have touch ability and had to be portable. The Samsung Dex is so far looking very promising. This has fast charge, sim slot , mem card slot , all the goodness that I needed.

That is a very good thinking and agree with you that at times it is very difficult to justify the price that Apple demands. Samsung's premium products are equally good. Our S7 edge is still going strong. I am replacing my broken ipad air and I will take a look at S7 tabs, seems out of stock everywhere.

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd October 2020 at 08:36. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Old 1st October 2020, 23:29   #5871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
Similarly, there are options at 15.6 inch that are lighter than the standard 2+kg laptops but without giving up too much performance. Decide if the extra 1-2 inches really matter to you and share your thoughts, will make some recommendations.
17 inches are very difficult to find in showrooms. Which 15.6 portable would you recommend?

HP pavilion has 16.1 inch screen but it weighs around 2.4kg. Any laptop except XPS (too costly!) that is 15 inch and 16:10 or 4:3 resolution?
Old 1st October 2020, 23:44   #5872
BHPian

Quote:
17 inches are very difficult to find in showrooms. Which 15.6 portable would you recommend?

HP pavilion has 16.1 inch screen but it weighs around 2.4kg. Any laptop except XPS (too costly!) that is 15 inch and 16:10 or 4:3 resolution?
No options for those aspect ratios outside of XPS and Surface devices. The Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 Pro is a 16:10 choice that's only going to be available early next year if you can wait till then.

If not, please specify a budget and use-case (what this laptop will be used for/types of applications etc).

Last edited by Amien : 1st October 2020 at 23:48.
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:12   #5873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
Please specify a budget and use-case (what this laptop will be used for/types of applications etc).
What would you suggest in the current crop of laptops with a budget of less than 50k:
1. Basic computing like surfing, very occasional movies my current vaio has died.
2. Reliability (very important i.e reasonable within the budget).
3. Gaming for old titles like up to the Assassins Creed III (approx that timeline. No new games needed) with decent frame rate not an avid gamer just casual.
4. Good battery life.
5. Some basic room for upgrading in the future(relatively future proof)
6. Good chassis which is sturdy. Aluminum chassis is preferable but may be out of my budget not a deal breaker though.
7. Portability not an issue.

P.S: SSD is compulsory. Whats your view on the Acer SWIFT 3 though it seems always to be out of stock in amazon in my cursory search.
Old 2nd October 2020, 14:25   #5874
BHPian

Quote:
The LG Gram laptops are listed on flipkart at following prices.

17 inch i7 8th gen at 89,990.
15 inch i5 8th gen at 69,844.
14 inch i5 8th gen at 64,490.

While the processors are 8th Gen, the features such as 16:10 aspect ratio, amazingly light weight, big battery life, thunderbolt and 3 years warranty seem attractive. Any suggestions on this?

Oh man, LG Gram 17 has been on my list for a long time as well. Just like you, I don't need a gaming laptop and this is the lightest 17 inch laptop out there and with the nearly bezel less screens these days, it should easily have a comparable size to older/budget 15.6 inch laptops. I know people who are very happy with their Gram 14 and 15 and the standard 3 year warranty is cherry on the cake. I would say, you should check out a few reviews and go ahead with Gram 17 if it suits your use case. Even I am contemplating whether to buy a TV or the Gram 17 in the upcoming sales. It has been unavailable for a long time now on Amazon and I would have preferred to buy from Amazon instead of Flipkart.
Old 2nd October 2020, 17:05   #5875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirans_nair View Post
What would you suggest in the current crop of laptops with a budget of less than 50k:

7. Portability not an issue.

P.S: SSD is compulsory. Whats your view on the Acer SWIFT 3 though it seems always to be out of stock in amazon in my cursory search.
Generally, its a good idea to optimize for use-case rather than a fixed budget. Its more like a guideline more than anything else.

Even though gaming is not a priority for you, gaming laptops tend to offer the highest price: performance, especially when portability is not a factor.

As for the SSD, you can always add one to an otherwise good laptop, but you cannot swap things like the CPU/GPU/the chassis itself so those are what need to be considered first.

The Acer Swift 3 is a good choice but doesn't seem fit here as portability is not important. At around 60k is where the value is for the sort of computer you have in mind. If that is not possible, going down to 40k can get you most of the general purpose performance, minus gaming and/or some build quality sacrifices appropriate for the price tag. Do share your thoughts.
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 10:10   #5876
Senior - BHPian

No sound from in-built speakers

Hi friends,

I have a 10 year old Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop.

A few days back, I noticed that there is no sound coming from the in-built speakers of the laptop.

When headphones are connected to the 3.5mm jack, sound comes in the headphones. But when there is no headphone connected, the in-built speakers are supposed to produce sound, which is not happening.

I tried reinstalling the audio driver and restarting the laptop, but it did not help.

Please suggest what could be the issue.

Rohan
Old 6th October 2020, 10:54   #5877
BHPian

Re: No sound from in-built speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Hi friends,

A few days back, I noticed that there is no sound coming from the in-built speakers of the laptop.

When headphones are connected to the 3.5mm jack, sound comes in the headphones. But when there is no headphone connected, the in-built speakers are supposed to produce sound, which is not happening.

I tried reinstalling the audio driver and restarting the laptop, but it did not help.

Please suggest what could be the issue.

Rohan
Did you try the diagnostics tool to see if there are any hardware issues ?( Most likely, since its a 10 year old machine).

https://www.dell.com/community/Lapto...s/td-p/3507428
hondafanboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 11:49   #5878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post
Did you try the diagnostics tool to see if there are any hardware issues ?( Most likely, since its a 10 year old machine).

https://www.dell.com/community/Lapto...s/td-p/3507428
Thanks, I will try the same in the evening and update.

BTW, I have replaced the original Hard Disk with a SSD sometime back (with a fresh Windows install). Will the diagnostic tool still work ?

Rohan
Old 6th October 2020, 12:08   #5879
BHPian

Quote:
I have a 10 year old Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop
Boot from a Linux live CD /USB and check. I've had problems with the latest audio drivers on Dell.
Old 6th October 2020, 21:49   #5880
Senior - BHPian

Was able to solve the problem by cleaning the headphone jack with a thin stick wrapped in cotton.

The sensing circuit in the headphone jack must have been misbehaving because of the dirt.

Rohan

Quote:
Hi friends,

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks