Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-377.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by roby_dk (Post 4839438)
Thanks but seems I missed the GPU maybe I can upgrade it later to something more better, anyways the Laptop has arrived today. It looks tough similar to the T series at least from outside.

I was thinking very hard of getting this just for the keypad which is the best have seen ( assuming this is the same as the one on the X1) but finally the need for a faster processer and a bigger screen won and went for a dell 7591.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candy$Cars (Post 4840416)
Hello bhpians,
I am looking for a new ultrabook laptop for my sister that has a good screen and great battery life but should also offer fluent performance on day to day task (lots of browsing, pdf reading, youtube, ms office; sometimes few of these simultaneously) and should also have a good build. Surprisingly, I am having a tough time finding one below 1lac budget, she is open to both macOS and windows. The Good screen part is as important as all other criterias.
Do any of you have any experience with the LG gram series? I have shortlisted the below but couldn't find a single review anywhere on the net:

https://www.amazon.in/LG-14Z990-14-0.../dp/B07VPK4LM6

Also, the new tenth series chipsets on new ultrabooks like the spectre and xps 13 ie. i5-1035g4 have such a low base clock (1.1ghz), are they any good?

I have been eyeing a LG gram myself but I have been a ASUS loyalist for the past few years and I have three laptops from ASUS , the ASUS ROG gaming and ASUS vivobook and ASUS Zenbook . They've been robust as a rock and the battery life on the zenbook is a blessing .

When it comes to ultrbooks its obvious no one gets one for gaming . The one thing that people want most from an ultrbook is battery life and teh rest of the things follow .

I would urge you to look at zenbook . The gram series lacks a lot of imp ports so if you want to hook a second monitor occassionally you'd need a dongle .

That's reassuring to know as I ordered an Asus product yesterday (my first Asus) on FK. It's a VivoBook 14 Core i3 10th gen with 256 GB SSD. In a UltraBook, I'd only look at it being lightweight. Apple MBAir is the best I've used (Rs. 65K on FK)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautamkhadse (Post 4840495)
They've been robust as a rock and the battery life on the zenbook is a blessing. When it comes to ultrabooks its obvious no one gets one for gaming . The one thing that people want most from an ultrbook is battery life and teh rest of the things follow

We rejected the Asus, and picked up the 'ultra-lightweight' mi Horizon at 55K (i5 10th GEN, 512 SSD, NVIDIA). This product is out of stock, (but somehow managed to get one since I knew someone at mi). Since I'm out of town, haven't had a 'hands-on' with it, but first impressions (from my family members who started using it) are good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebring (Post 4841878)
We rejected the Asus, and picked up the 'ultra-lightweight' mi Horizon at 55K (i5 10th GEN, 512 SSD, NVIDIA). This product is out of stock, (but somehow managed to get one since I knew someone at mi). Since I'm out of town, haven't had a 'hands-on' with it, but first impressions (from my family members who started using it) are good.

Isn't not having a backlit keyboard and no memory expansion a point of contention for you, especially at that price point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebring (Post 4841878)
We rejected the Asus, and picked up the 'ultra-lightweight' mi Horizon at 55K

Things that this laptop HAS but should have improved on.

1. Top facing speakers (It has that wide of a space)
2. USB Type-C charger (Has a port but doesn't charge via it so need to carry clunky power brick)
3. Backlit keyboard (seems unnecessary until the need arises)

NOT VERY IMPORTANT:
4. Integrated Webcam (I don't use it 99% of times but I don't wanna lug around an additional accessory)

To answer: It's for school projects, and night time use is minimal. We have a wireless 1080P Logitech webcam, that's being used. I won't need more that 8 Gb memory. Yes, there are numerous things it should have had, but then the price shoots up. We found value here. Most importantly I'm a Mac user and the keyboard felt closest to that
Quote:

Originally Posted by rdst_1 (Post 4841927)
Isn't not having a backlit keyboard and no memory expansion a point of contention for you, especially at that price point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavSam (Post 4841946)
Things that this laptop HAS but should have improved on

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebring (Post 4842020)
To answer: It's for school projects, and night time use is minimal. We have a wireless 1080P Logitech webcam, that's being used. I won't need more that 8 Gb memory. Yes, there are numerous things it should have had, but then the price shoots up. We found value here. Most importantly I'm a Mac user and the keyboard felt closest to that

No bro, I am not saying what you should have looked for. I am saying about with these 4 things this would have been the almost perfect laptop. Sorry if it felt as if questioning your choice because that wasn't my intention at all.

Congratulations on the MiBook! clap:

Thanks. And No, I didn't feel that you're questioning my choice at all. I just explained why I chose it. The build quality is excellent
Quote:

Originally Posted by RavSam (Post 4842026)
Sorry if it felt as if questioning your choice because that wasn't my intention at all. Congratulations on the MiBook!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebring (Post 4842030)
Thanks. And No, I didn't feel that you're questioning my choice at all. I just explained why I chose it. The build quality is excellent

I got the base version today for my kids for 42K and yes the build is excellent. The display is very good too. An inbuilt cam and a backlit keyboard at a slightly higher price would have helped - but I'm happy with the purchase.

I have Dell Inspiron 15 3000 model which is crawling after I gave into windows 10 upgrade temptation. I see 8 GB RAM is 60% busy most of the time. Want to install 8/16 GB RAM in the 2nd empty slot, something I have done few time in past with my and friends laptops.

However then with no data on laptop, I used to scan using crucial.com which used to take care of research part. Now when I am trying to find RAM type on my laptop I do not see description whether it is DDR3 or 4. Some say if it is not mentioned, it has to be DDR4.

Does anyone know exactly which RAM is in this laptop or how to find all details like speed type pins etc without running an online scan?

Rgds.

Don't put DDR4 in a DDR3 RAM slot. They're not backward compatible. The Dell Inspiron 15 3000 supports DDR3L PC3L-12800 (1600MHz) SODIMM memory in the 204-pin form factor. Contact customer support for final confirmation before you buy
Quote:

Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor (Post 4842042)
Now when I am trying to find RAM type on my laptop I do not see description whether it is DDR3 or 4. Some say if it is not mentioned, it has to be DDR4.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor (Post 4842042)
I have Dell Inspiron 15 3000
Does anyone know exactly which RAM is in this laptop or how to find all details like speed type pins etc without running an online scan?

Rgds.

Download and run CPU-Z app which lists every detail of your laptop configuration.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj (Post 4809703)
Hi Bhpians,

I am looking out for a future proof laptop ( at least for 3 years ) within a budget of 40k. I can increase it to 50k but it would be a stretch. I have been looking online but there are multiple options. I am ok with AMD or intel but would like to get at least 8 gigs of RAM or maybe one with an expandable slot supporting till 32GB. Getting one with an SSD would be great as well.

The laptop would be mostly used for the following:-

1. Google sheets and slides/presentations
2. Mails
3. Video Conferencing
4. AutoCAD
5. Photoshop
6. Sketchup - Could be avoided as i have a workstation
7. Require a good battery backup

I know some of these applications hog a lot of memory and processing power. Please do advice if at all this is a good time to get a laptop at all. I can wait maximum of a month as i am out of job and am venturing out by opening my own architectural and Interior Designing Firm.

PS: Was using a Macbook Air provided by the office from the past three years so I am very much spoilt by the fluid experience and good battery life and specifically the keyboard.

Thanks

Quoting my own post. I finally got the Asus Tuf A15 with Ryzen 4600H and Nvidia GTX 1650Ti for 71k. Been using it from the past one week and it's an absolute beast. Boots up in 3 secs and runs really well. Also as compared to the reviews posted online, the screen is actually not that bad.

Lastly, the heating issue, I deselected the over-boost therefore the processor ( whenever I get the time to play Dirt Rally, Project cars, etc ) never runs hot.

All in all, I am very much satisfied.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gautamkhadse (Post 4840495)

When it comes to ultrbooks its obvious no one gets one for gaming . The one thing that people want most from an ultrbook is battery life and teh rest of the things follow .

I would urge you to look at zenbook . The gram series lacks a lot of imp ports so if you want to hook a second monitor occassionally you'd need a dongle .

For some reason I have always shied away from Asus laptops, maybe due to uncertainty of service as they are relatively new-comer in the Indian market compared to Dell, HP. Having experienced Dell's onsite service in 2010 when they replaced my brother's DVD drive even at a remote location, I have usually stuck to Dell.

My friend has a zenbook 14 and i have found that the lid hinge is loose, like very loose. If you pick up the open laptop and tilt it backwards with little speed, the lid also rotates back! My brother's ROG's lid is also quite loose but not as loose as my friend's zenbook. Hence, I am apprehensive of Asus's build quality, no concerns regarding their performance though. What's your take on this?
For now, we have shortlisted the base spectre 13 and top of the line Envy 13. Will be deciding between the two tomorrow.