Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2016, 14:22   #4651
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Was looking at some Lenovos.
Easy decision, by default all Thinkpads are superior to plain Lenovos. Superior in every way, performance, build, silent HDDs thanks to noise isolation and silent running optical readers. No contest the Edge wins.

Last edited by dark.knight : 11th March 2016 at 14:23.
Old 11th March 2016, 14:22   #4652
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Can somebody suggest a 14/15.6" laptop in the 50k price range that has a good display?

Something with a bright display and good viewing angles.
Lenovo Z41 is one option ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Easy decision, by default all Thinkpads are superior to plain Lenovos. .. and silent running optical readers. No contest the Edge wins.
Thanks, @Dark.Knight. Btw, Only some E's have the drive, else most are without it.

For anyone looking at Lenovo's - the B40 series is not well-built. Dont look at these ..

Last edited by condor : 11th March 2016 at 14:33.
Old 11th March 2016, 17:18   #4653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Lenovo Z41 is one option ..
I see that it uses a TN panel. TN has very poor VERTICAL viewing angles. The brightness changes depending on the angle at which you placed the lid. Bad for graphics related work. I am looking for Macbook pro (not air) kind of display quality. Macbook pro uses IPS panel.

So far I have come across Lenovo Yoga and Flex 2 using IPS panels.
Old 11th March 2016, 18:22   #4654
Distinguished - BHPian

There are other Lenovo models too, like the Ideapad which use IPS panels. If battery life is not a very big concern (more than 4 hours), then you can check these ..

Btw, I suggest to check the laptops physically at the showrooms before you decide. Construction quality is something that is best checked by the buyer. Things like how much the panels flex, the feel in hand etc. (This was the reason for my recent comment against the Lenovo B- series)

Last edited by condor : 11th March 2016 at 18:24.
Old 12th March 2016, 11:45   #4655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puthari View Post
1.Toshiba's Satellites.
2.Compaq .
Toshiba used to be my favourite for ages. They have fallen behind the competition, and their batteries do not last. Had a problem with my daughter's and now my wife's. battery had to be Lapcare since Toshiba batteries are just not available.

I have had Compaq's in the past. But at the moment we have three Lenovos in the house two Flex14's and one Yuga 13. Have been reasonably happy, but to really first grade. In a year's time, the Flex's will have to go (three years). Then I will see. I may even take a look at Asus. Another option will be to look at Apple Macs.

Last edited by Zappo : 22nd March 2016 at 20:18. Reason: Corrected the quote.
Old 12th March 2016, 12:40   #4656
BHPian

Hello bhpians,

I am planning to get my first laptop ( I am using desktop from past 8 years). I am planning to get this particular model https://m.snapdeal.com/product/dell-...ptop/243947363
I am not a power user, just checking mails, watching online movies n stuff ( no gaming). Don't want to spend too much, so not even considering any high-end options. My budget is around 25k. Please suggest me to go ahead and get the above mentioned model or to have a look at other options.

P.S. Is it safe to buy laptops online?( I have read that companies won't honour any warranty for purchasing online)

Thanks in advance
Old 12th March 2016, 13:28   #4657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING DYSP View Post
am planning to get my first laptop
This is expensive. I got a Windows 8 laptop asus i311.6" for ~22k, same one without OS for ~21k and a Lenovo i5 with win 8 from eBay for 29k in the past 4 months. All are working fine. Look for a better deal.
Old 13th March 2016, 23:30   #4658
Senior - BHPian

I am facing a problem while participating in ETender Website of MSETCL on my laptop (Sony Vaio bought in US in 2009).

The website link is https://srmetender.mahatransco.in

The website requires Latest Version of JAVA, SAP Addon and is recommended to use IE 8 or above (Run as Administrator).
I have followed the instructions as given in their Bidder's User Manual and made changes in the IE (some settings were advised to Enable which are by-default Disable or Prompt) and also installed latest Java and Visual Studio C++ 2013 (vcdist from Microsoft Site).

But I am not able to see the below screen as indicated in the Bidder's User Manual-
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-error-e-tender-msetcl.png

I am getting only the below screen. The Digital Signing Certificate on the Token is not visible on my laptop.
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-dsc-not-appearing.jpg

When I checked on my cousin's laptop, I am able to see the desired screen.i.e. I am able to see the Digital Signature Window and I can select the Digital Signing Certificate as well.

Laptop Details- OS- Win 7 Ultimate 32 Bit, 2.2 Core 2 Duo Processor, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, IE-11, Java 8.74, Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable(x86)- 12.0.30501.
I have installed drivers of the DSC Token.

What is the problem with my Laptop?

Mods: Please move to appropriate section if needed.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 13th March 2016 at 23:31.
Old 14th March 2016, 09:29   #4659
Senior - BHPian

Sorry forgot to mention the below part, please merge with above.

The cousin's laptop runs on Win 7 Professional 32 bit.

Also I have tried this on my Desktop which runs Win 7 Prof. 32 bit but still same problem.

The Broadband speed at my place is 4 Mbps while at cousin' place its 512Kbps. Both Bsnl.
Old 17th March 2016, 22:38   #4660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hi,

Is the non retina mac worth buying?

There are some deals going on at the moment. The listed price on Apple site is A$1,699.00. I can get it for around A$1,450.00.

How good / bad is this model in terms of day to day use and also photo editing etc.

Regards,
Not sure if you have picked up a Mac.
But I did some research and got myself a Macbook and am pretty happy with the deal.

Macbook Pro MD101HN/A 13-inch is going for 54k INR on Amazon.in
It is the only model which can be customized the max.

Pros
- Added a 500gb SSD Samsung EVO + 14k
- Added 8gb x 2 slots for 7k total , so have 16gb ram
(note if you do not plan to run any dual os using Virtualbox 8gb is all you need)
- Add Rs 250/- and get a HDD case, so the original 500GB non ssd disk can be used as a Time machine backup storage

So now with a net 76k you get 13" 500gb ssd + 16 gb ram + 500 gb backup storage.

Cons
- Its not a Retina display, but seriously at 13" it hardly makes a difference.
I compared retina vs non retina side by side at the Apple store and concluded its not a deal breaker at all.

Also its pretty easy to change all these yourself.
Dont go to the Mac service centre to do this, they will rip you off with their ridiculous rates.
Old 18th March 2016, 01:49   #4661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Not sure if you have picked up a Mac.
But I did some research and got myself a Macbook and am pretty happy with the deal.

Macbook Pro MD101HN/A 13-inch is going for 54k INR on Amazon.in
Hi,

Congratulations on your MBP.

I still havent purchased my Mac. My Mrs was in India and i was thinking of getting the MBP for 54k from Amazon.in but couldnt decide and now she is already back to Melbourne.

I too felt that for a 13.3" retina wouldn't make a lot of difference for my useage. So going for MBP and than upgrading storage and RAM as per requirements. 500GB and 8/16 GB Ram would have me sorted for next few yrs easily. I am getting some decently used 2012 MBP on Gumtree / eBay etc for around AU$600 ~INR 30K.

At this stage i am thinking of going for something like that as its my 1st Mac ever and it would give me an idea on the OS and usability + i can spend another $250-$300 and upgrade the storage & memory.

I am planning to go and see 2 used 2012 MBP this weekend and hopefully pick one.

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 18th March 2016 at 01:50.
Old 18th March 2016, 12:32   #4662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hi,

I too felt that for a 13.3" retina wouldn't make a lot of difference for my useage. So going for MBP and than upgrading storage and RAM as per requirements. 500GB and 8/16 GB Ram would have me sorted for next few yrs easily...
The MBP with the non SSD disk and 4gb ram is super slow.
So keep that in mind when you are checking, but post upgrade it would speed up a lot.

The retina models are all locked in, in terms of post purchase upgrades, especially the storage.
Old 21st March 2016, 15:00   #4663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
The MBP with the non SSD disk and 4gb ram is super slow.
So keep that in mind when you are checking, but post upgrade it would speed up a lot.

The retina models are all locked in, in terms of post purchase upgrades, especially the storage.
Thanks, Fillmore. I bought the same model, encouraged by your upgrade, and have just done the easiest 16GB Upgrade myself (after looking at ifixit instructions) . I'm still waiting on my HDD case, post which I will swap out to 500G SSD.

This is my first MacBook, and I looked at it only after Amazon had trouble delivering a Asus zenbook ux305la. Couple of observations...

The non retina MBP is the last upgradeable Mac and is super easy to swap out HDD, and memory. It's also the last MBP with Optical drive, and if u don't use it much, it's a easy job to reduce heft by keeping the Super drive in a separate external Bay, or just swapping the existing HDD in as time backup. All the parts are reasonably priced on Amazon India and user serviceable.

This MBP is heavy, though not more than equivalent Dell / HP configs, with HDD & Optical drive. It is NO retina MBP or MB Air (I feel this more as I come from a Chromebook which is on par with some tablets).

Also, there are several 3rd party accessories easily available for the thunderbolt DVD port, for DVI or HDMI connects.

The 13.3' screen is excellent, but glossy so a bit harder to read outside at side viewing angles.

For a newbie Mac user, I have learnt the hard way that it's best to use stock OSX apps, atleast for a while, to get a grip on the many shortcuts and tricks, and look for replacements apps later. Stock apps are often adequate, esp in a multi platform home. From a Windows / android user perspective, the Mac app store may give you serious sticker shock.

Also wait a day, as the new 15' retina MBP are due to be announced today.

Last edited by Juggy : 21st March 2016 at 15:15.
Old 22nd March 2016, 09:07   #4664
Senior - BHPian

My daughter is on the lookout for a replacement for her ageing Toshiba M-series. Must be at least i5 and 14" Screen. She will be keen for a Toshiba since the unit over 5-6 years has been near flawless. Need not be Toshiba though.
Old 22nd March 2016, 10:05   #4665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
My daughter is on the lookout for a replacement for her ageing Toshiba M-series. Must be at least i5 and 14" Screen. She will be keen for a Toshiba since the unit over 5-6 years has been near flawless. Need not be Toshiba though.
Sir may I suggest Dell Latitude 14 7000 series (e-7470).

I am using 14" latitude since last 3-1/2 years and I can swear on it's durability and performance. Flawless business class notebook with excellent Dell after sales support and upto 4 years warranty.

Regards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks