Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-303.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pratyush6 (Post 3870236)
I would recommend you the Thinkpad E450 - costs close to 45k, but a great budget device. Amazing Keyboard and built in touchpad. Decent Battery, decent screen (not HD).

It depends, if some one is going to type a lot then I cannot think beyond the Thinkpads. I am using one right now.:) Never go in for the 440 Series though.

Is Thinkpad sturdy like Dell Latitude? How is service support? Sturdy well built laptop is needed. Budget upto 45k.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HydroFuel (Post 3872355)
Is Thinkpad sturdy like Dell Latitude? How is service support? Sturdy well built laptop is needed. Budget upto 45k.

Thinkpads were at one time the most sturdy Laptops , and the present X and T series retain the original study design and the excellent keyboard. Dell rarely came near the sturdiness of Thinkpads. As the saying goes good things cost more, such is the case with Thinkpads.

Dear BHPians, here is the problem I am facing. Looking forward for suggestions form you.

I had an HP laptop (about 1.5 years old) which is now dead. Apparently the motherboard has gone kaput and no one has the replacement. Went to HP, they are happy to replace the motherboard but with a cost of 20k+ :Shockked: Its better to buy a new one. I will miss my old laptop though. Had some powerful configuration with AMD A8 quadcore processor, nvidia graphics card and 8GB RAM. It just died suddenly and giving it to multiple people for repair only made the issue worse. Now even the power jack is broken.

Anyways, I'm planning to buy a new laptop. I want to salvage the hard disk, RAM and Windows license.

So I have these questions:

1. Can I buy an HP laptop without the Windows bundle and transfer my old laptop's license to the new one? Apparently I could save a couple of grands if I go for a DOS/Linux with new laptop.

2. Will the 8GB RAM that I have from my old laptop, be compatible with the new one? If not saving money, I think this will help since most of the laptops I have explored come only with 4GB RAM.

3. Can I reuse the hard disk of my old laptop with the new one? and finallly,

4. Will opening the new laptop to make all the above or even one of the fix will make the warranty void?

Bonus question :D: Which is a good laptop for me for some basic photoshop/lightroom work and light homely utility? Will prefer an HP if any of the above fix works.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1lokesh (Post 3872432)
had an HP laptop (about 1.5 years old) which is now dead. Apparently the motherboard has gone kaput and no one has the replacement. !

You cannot transfer an oem Windows license as it was sold with the laptop.
You may be able to reuse the RAM and definitely the hard disk. You can also buy an adapter and me this hdd an external hard disk.
Opening new laptop for these items will not void your warranty.

Did you try buying the same model second hand or scrap for salvaging the mother board? Give that a shot, odds are not in your favor but can never know.

I would desist from getting an HP, as my son also had a lot of problems with their high power laptops. Any way RAM and HDD are easily reusable.

If you still want HP, you can buy exactly the same model without OS. If you just insert the HDD from your old laptop, it should boot perfectly, unless the OS is tied to some hardware. In case you want to use your old RAM, you can always sell the RAM of your new laptop. Normal HP outlet will not agree to selling the laptop without RAM or OS, but you can always find an independent dealer who may be amenable to your requirement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by diyguy (Post 3872452)

No the license is apparently hardwired into the Motherboard, and it is that what the Microsoft server holds. Thuis is how Windows upgrades work.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aroy (Post 3872770)
Any way RAM and HDD are easily reusable.

In the same machine yes, otherwise no. RAM is changing colours too frequently. DDR-I, II and III I have seem. there may also be some internal variations! In any case 4GB is likely to be under ₹2000.

Quote:

Originally Posted by diyguy (Post 3872452)
You may be able to reuse the RAM and definitely the hard disk. You can also buy an adapter and me this hdd an external hard disk.
Opening new laptop for these items will not void your warranty.

Did you try buying the same model second hand or scrap for salvaging the mother board? Give that a shot, odds are not in your favor but can never know.

Thanks diyguy.

None of the guys here in lamington road, mumbai had the same laptop as scrap or any parts of it. I'll still try OLX and Quikr

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aroy (Post 3872770)
I would desist from getting an HP, as my son also had a lot of problems with their high power laptops. Any way RAM and HDD are easily reusable.

If you still want HP, you can buy exactly the same model without OS. If you just insert the HDD from your old laptop, it should boot perfectly, unless the OS is tied to some hardware. In case you want to use your old RAM, you can always sell the RAM of your new laptop. Normal HP outlet will not agree to selling the laptop without RAM or OS, but you can always find an independent dealer who may be amenable to your requirement.

Thanks Aroy. I will not go for the same model now. First it has been discontinued by HP and second all the guys told me that the fault lies with AMD processor. So I'm sort of afraid to buy one with AMD chipset.

Checked for full 3 hours on Google. Nothing:Frustrati

Motherboard not available, 2nd hand laptop not available, no scrap piece, nothing at all!

Finally gave in to the situation and called up HP support who gave me the number of their A.S.C in Sakinaka. Called them up and they say motherboard can be made available. Cost will be between 7k and 15k, but exact cost will be quoted to me only personally. Warranty 3 months.

What do you guys suggest? Should I go for this or altogether a new laptop? I was very happy with my laptop's performance and apparently its configuration is still unmatched compared to what is available in market today even for 35k.

The only problem I foresee is AMD based system are prone to issues.. Are they really bad?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1lokesh (Post 3873048)
Checked for full 3 hours on Google. Nothing:Frustrati

Did you check aliexpress? I saw a few there. What's your laptop motherboard model?

Quote:

Originally Posted by diyguy (Post 3873240)
Did you check aliexpress? I saw a few there. What's your laptop motherboard model?

Yes, I did. The cost is about Rs 9,430. Plus I am not sure if it will work with my laptop (model no. 15-e001ax) . I visited HP service center yesterday. They could not locate the exact part number of the motherboard since the sticker on it with this has fone missing. Courtesy Lamington Road guys :Frustrati

The engineer there told me not to buy any motherboard from online/open market since there are 2/3 different part codes of the motherboard for the same model :eek: He said he will figure out the part number but quoted a figure of Rs 15k minimum for the replacement. further, he added that this would not be a sure shot solution as there might be other issues and I might end up paying more than that. The resolution he offered me was to buy a new laptop instead and try salvaging the parts of dead one.

Guys, if you or your kids/spouse/cousins are students, you can get Windows for free. First get an ISIC card (teachers eligible too) online by emailing them your documents- address proof, current student status proof (college/school Id enough) and paying a nominal fee online.

After you get this card, register on Microsoft dreamspark and enroll as student. Then put your ISIC card as
Proof of student status. The reason for this is that many us sites don't accept Indian college student ids for registration. You can download 8/7 and then upgrade to 10. 100% free along with many softwares available too.

Added benefits are cheap airfares(international) and sometimes with more baggage allowance. Discounted student services and products across many sites.

Their site is isic.co.in

In HP which model is sturdy well built? Comparable to Dell Latitude and Thinkpad.

I need a good office laptop for my colleagues across different bands.
Key requirements - sturdy, good battery life durable, and should be able to support AutoCAD, etc.
Budget is around 30K for one, and around 50K for another.

Was looking at Lenovo, and Dell as the main options though others could be considered.

Guys, my lenovo y50's HDD crashed. Now I got a replacement. But I don't have a recovery disk. Is anyone using y50 laptop or having a recovery disk?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HydroFuel (Post 3876361)
In HP which model is sturdy well built? Comparable to Dell Latitude and Thinkpad.

HP Elitebook is comparable to Thinkpads. They also have a cheaper variant Probook.