Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-301.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat (Post 3829523)
The new HDD was SATA III. Do you mean to say that the motherboard does not support SATA III

In all likelihood that is the probable cause and Inspite of the right driver it will cause issues

Quote:

Originally Posted by diyguy (Post 3829560)
In all likelihood that is the probable cause and Inspite of the right driver it will cause issues

But then, how did the Windows 7 installation start the first time?

It started, copying of the files was completed. And when I was choosing the time zone, I got a blue screen and before I could read what it said, the computer restarted and I could never get Windows 7 to install again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat (Post 3829764)
But then, how did the Windows 7 installation start the first time?

there are a number of articles on sata III and incompatibility with older sata mobos. A friend of mine just purchased a sata III HDD for his vaio 7 year old laptop based on the site stating compatible with sata I. Will update if that swap of HDD is successful!

There used to be a time when a laptop had everything in order - Now they are built to specs. If anyone can guide me to some laptops with great keyboards it would be great. So a good tactile keyboard + some degree of portability. I
use a lot of Excel & SAS on my laptop.

I was looking at the Thinkpad series and I got mixed and confusing reviews. Any pointers would be highly appreciated.

Or should I buy a keyboard separately (which defeats the purpose of a laptop in itself)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pratyush6 (Post 3831414)
There used to be a time when a laptop had everything in order - Now they are built to specs. If anyone can guide me to some laptops with great keyboards it would be great. So a good tactile keyboard + some degree of portability. I

I was looking at the Thinkpad series and I got mixed and confusing reviews. Any pointers would be highly appreciated.

Or should I buy a keyboard separately (which defeats the purpose of a laptop in itself)

Why don't you try out the laptop keyboards at retail outlets. As such the Thinkpad (T, X and W) series have good build and excellent keyboards, but they are expensive.

Quote:

So a good tactile keyboard + some degree of portability. I use a lot of Excel & SAS on my laptop.

As far as the above requirements are concerned there is nothing better than a Thinkpad, preferably T Series but the affordable E/L Series are just as good too. Just make sure you go for recently released 2015 models ending with number 450. 440 is last years models. NEVER go the online route when buying TP's since they stock very old models, better to try & buy at the store.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aroy (Post 3831418)
Why don't you try out the laptop keyboards at retail outlets. As such the Thinkpad (T, X and W) series have good build and excellent keyboards, but they are expensive.

Most outlets I go have absolutely no Thinkpads, perhaps will try this weekend and see if I can get my hands on one. And very few that I have tried have decent keyboards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dark.knight (Post 3831852)
As far as the above requirements are concerned there is nothing better than a Thinkpad, preferably T Series but the affordable E/L Series are just as good too. Just make sure you go for recently released 2015 models ending with number 450. 440 is last years models. NEVER go the online route when buying TP's since they stock very old models, better to try & buy at the store.

The T Series retails at over 84k! L still seems in the budget around 50-60.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pratyush6 (Post 3831867)
Most outlets I go have absolutely no Thinkpads, perhaps will try this weekend and see if I can get my hands on one.

True, that's because Thinkpads never were for sale off the shelf, they always had a on-order supply system, 90% of their sales are direct to corporates in bulk. 10% they do make exceptions (to individuals & small firms) & supply to certain authorised dealers/Lenovo store, the Lenovo stores usually do have a display E Series on which you can test out the keyboard. Nowadays I hear even for individuals they raise a P.O to Lenovo and then deliver in 4-12 hours for certain models.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dark.knight (Post 3831883)
True, that's because Thinkpads never were for sale off the shelf, they always had a on-order supply system, 90% of their sales are direct to corporates in bulk. 10% they do make exceptions (to individuals & small firms) & supply to certain authorised dealers/Lenovo store, the Lenovo stores usually do have a display E Series on which you can test out the keyboard. Nowadays I hear even for individuals they raise a P.O to Lenovo and then deliver in 4-12 hours for certain models.

Do corporates get any discounts if it is not in bulk?

I checked out their online store, here is the link for the L series:
http://shopap.lenovo.com/in/en/lapto...l-series/l440/

It only lists L440.

Meanwhile the T440 retails for a princely 84k
http://shopap.lenovo.com/in/en/lapto...-series/t440p/

Quote:

Originally Posted by pratyush6 (Post 3831889)
Do corporates get any discounts if it is not in bulk? It only lists L440. Meanwhile the T440 retails for a princely 84k

Even an individual can get a couple of grand knocked off easily (depends on the store & negotiation) on say something like a T Series. The T440 for example can be had at closer to 80. Bulk orders directly from corporates will get massive discounts.

I will not recommend any variant of 440, simply because those models were an anomaly as far as ThinkPads go, Lenovo wanted to copy Macbooks and removed the 5 mouse-button/standard trackpad which to operate were extremely quiet & refined & replaced them with a click-pad which simply clicks and clacks everywhere and could get triggered when typing. The fans came up with scathing reviews and thus they have now upgraded to a 3 mouse-button standard trackpad as is the norm. This was important because the track-point usage was rendered near impossible due to the clickpad. The L Series is nothing but a system which visually resembles a T Series without the internal aspects (T has extended usage of magnesium alloy in chassis & carbon fibre in lid, backlit keyboard etc). In that sense the E450 would make better buying than the L440, all these models share some practical aspects like water-resistant keyboard with drain channels and the traditional keyboard. As always to be sure for yourself you need to try before buying but to me nothing beats a Thinkpad whether its 40k or 1lk+.

I Delhi, my dealer gives a decent discount on Thinkpads. Lenovo has a lot of outlets in Delhi, even Reliance has them on display.

You can also try ordering through e-commerce sites
http://shopap.lenovo.com/in/en/lapto...tab-tech_specs
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/lenovo-t-series-notebook-core/662429700882#bcrumbSearch:thinkpad|bcrumbLabelId:5 7

This is their low cost model. The keyboard should be same
http://www.amazon.in/Lenovo-59-44303...productDetails

Quote:

Buying an expensive laptop just for the sake of keyboard doesn't make a lot of sense.
If you are highly unsatisfied with current laptop keyboard, you can always buy a separate keyboard and keep it at your workplace.
If you want robust and tactile keyboard, go with the mechanical ones, ones that are used for gaming. Its always comforting and highly pleasurable to use a full size mechanical keyboard. If you are working at different places and if you cannot carry the keyboard with you, buy two of them, better than buying an expensive Thinkpad. There are many mechanical keyboard and mouse combos out there are great prices.

The Processor fan of our Vaio CR-320E has got busted around 7-8 months ago.
I am using the laptop in this condition but reduce the Max. CPU usage in power options to 50% alongwith a CoolMaster Cooling Pad below.
I am not able to source the fan. I know I am :stupid but what other options do I have?

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi (Post 3832428)
The Processor fan of our Vaio CR-320E has got busted around 7-8 months ago.
I am using the laptop in this condition but reduce the Max. CPU usage in power options to 50% alongwith a CoolMaster Cooling Pad below.
I am not able to source the fan. I know I am :stupid but what other options do I have?

Have you checked on ebay and aliexpress ? well check this out : http://www.ebay.in/itm/REPLACEMENT-S...QAAMXQ74JTVgTZ

Quote:

Originally Posted by spookey
Have you checkd on ebay and aliexpress?

Thanks for your reply.
But just now when I checked for the model of Fan (to order online) after removing the base plate, I found the Processor Fan to be Working. lol:

Forgot to post this query in the last post itself-
The Left Mouse Button is not working. Can something be done or would I have to use a external USB Mouse? Clicking the Left Mouse is also not working as well as tapping on the mouse pad also not effecting left click. :Frustrati