Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2006, 11:07   #436
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn
Yes, i can vouch for Think pad. Used T40p for 2 and 1/2 years and now using T43 for past few months.
But I guess T43 is product of lenovo. I am suspecting few quality issues with it. Where as T40p was rock solid, except for occasional xp crashes..
THanks GK. I was goona "upgrade" my T41p (over 2 years old) to a Z60t or T60.
Old 3rd May 2006, 15:28   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
THanks GK. I was goona "upgrade" my T41p (over 2 years old) to a Z60t or T60.
Hey, dont read too much from my usage. The laptop gets really abused, esp the hard disk. So i might be hitting the corner case too often.

Also if u r going in for upgrade, wait till merom(2nd gen dual core Pentium M) arrives. Should be a quarter or 2. It will bring a better cache handling, 64bit and the whole machine as such should be ready for vista. Current T60 wont work with vista.

But then, once you are used those thinkpad keys, not sure if you will like the feel of the key pads of any other laptops. When T40 was launched, toms hardware mentioned it as the bentley of laptops. T-series in my opinion will remain one of the best built laptops around.
Old 3rd May 2006, 17:04   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's rubbish. Not true at all...

jus sayin its rubbish wont help. Post proof. I will post mine in the evening.
Old 3rd May 2006, 17:46   #439
BHPian

http://developer.intel.com/products/...duct-brief.pdf

Check out the second page in the above product documentationt. Under a marketing term "Smart Cache". The larger L2 cache is actually shared between the 2 cores and a logic is in place to handle this. Hence this is a not 2 cores slapped inside a single die. They do have some intelligence to share resource between these 2 cores.

What u told holds true for a xeon processor codenamed "Paxville" which intel introduced to counter the first dual cores claims from AMD. Paxville had no common logic. It just had 2 cores in one single die. Nothing common between them.
Old 3rd May 2006, 20:48   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
http://developer.intel.com/products/...duct-brief.pdf

Check out the second page in the above product documentationt. Under a marketing term "Smart Cache". The larger L2 cache is actually shared between the 2 cores and a logic is in place to handle this. Hence this is a not 2 cores slapped inside a single die. They do have some intelligence to share resource between these 2 cores.

What u told holds true for a xeon processor codenamed "Paxville" which intel introduced to counter the first dual cores claims from AMD. Paxville had no common logic. It just had 2 cores in one single die. Nothing common between them.
That proves that dual-core logic has been introduced but it still doesnt prove that the cores are not that of pentium M.

you are right about the intel xeon's though.

Intel introduced the yonah just because they knew centrino wont be able to hold long after the introduction of turion due to low prices, integrated memory controller, hypertransport and 64-bit extensions. Intel Yonah is just a cpu in line to the introduction of the Merom which will actually be the new dual core cpu from ground up. yonah is trying to hold competition until merom is out. Everybody knows that Amd's market share has skyrocketed after the introduction of the turion. Intel was so in a hurry to introduce Yonah that they even forgot to test it. The first batch of notebooks had USB power issues specifically with yonah.

Turion x2 is nothin but two turion cores slapped togather with some logic as you say between the two cores. True dual cores from Amd will come atleast 3 months after Merom. Most probable codename is taylor but I am not sure about this.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 3rd May 2006 at 20:50.
Old 3rd May 2006, 20:57   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
That proves that dual-core logic has been introduced but it still doesnt prove that the cores are not that of pentium M.
When a processor company goes out and releases a cpu, most of the time it will be a next logical step to the previous generation cpu. Very rarely, i can even say, its almost non existent that a cpu is coded brand new from scratch. Intel tried it with itanium and u know the result. So, the cores used in core duo are next logical steps of what was used in second gen Pentium Ms(dothans). Infact the first gen Pentium Ms where drived from Pentium P6 cores which are now 7,8 years old? I dont know.

Quote:
yonah is trying to hold competition until merom is out. ... Intel was so in a hurry to introduce Yonah that they even forgot to test it. The first batch of notebooks had USB power issues specifically with yonah.
The whole statment is again untrue. Its just a figment of some crazy amd fans imagination.
Intel didnt test properly??? Thats a pretty loose ended (i am at lose here.. dont know what phrase to use...) statment from your side.

Buddy, No hard feelings. I am not getting personal here. Please tell from where u got this info. Also, the USB power problem, if i remember correctly, is due to a MS driver problem.

Here details for the USB problem...
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/01/28/to...r_drain_issue/

Quote:
Late Friday, Microsoft acknowledged to TG Daily - via the hands of Intel - that they believe the problem our engineers observed to have been caused by a misbehaving driver included in Windows XP SP2 - specifically, the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) driver, which is part of the operating system's power management scheme for USB 2.0.

Last edited by gkrishn : 3rd May 2006 at 21:12.
Old 3rd May 2006, 21:43   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When a processor company goes out and releases a cpu, most of the time it will be a next logical step to the previous generation cpu. Very rarely, i can even say, its almost non existent that a cpu is coded brand new from scratch. Intel tried it with itanium and u know the result. So, the cores used in core duo are next logical steps of what was used in second gen Pentium Ms(dothans). Infact the first gen Pentium Ms where drived from Pentium P6 cores which are now 7,8 years old? I dont know.
wasnt that exactly what my statement meant. I have mentioned that amd turion is a amd athlon based cpu while yonah is based on Pentium M. maybe I should have chosen a better set of words.LOL

dothans were preceeded by banias and succeeded by Sonoma. And yes the ideas for a mobile processors were taken from P-3 but pentium M's are not based on P-3. Only the designs have been shared but the architecture is different. P3 designs were used coz P4 designs with long pipelines and higher power consumption were not logical enough while p3 were running great with speedstep in mobile pc's

I certainly hope that when u mentioned p6 its was a typo.

Quote:
The whole statment is again untrue. Its just a figment of some crazy amd fans imagination.
Intel didnt test properly??? Thats a pretty loose ended (i am at lose here.. dont know what phrase to use...) statment from your side.

Buddy, No hard feelings. I am not getting personal here. Please tell from where u got this info. Also, the USB power problem, if i remember correctly, is due to a MS driver problem.
Google up and you will find various news artcles mentioning that intel has confesed to goofing up in trying to catch up with competition. Each and Every cpu is tested to run on most applications and OS's before being released. yes the problem was in the OS but should have been solved before the launch of the cpu. Intel completed its part and launched the cpu in a haste. Not that its a bad cpu but there are always some running-ins to be done to ensure that everything is ok.

so yes in a part its a loose but true statement at the same time.

And no I am not a fan of AMD. I have recently purchased a celeron64 for my desktop which is running great and recommended for most people out here.

I understand that we are just at a small conflict here but lets get back to the topic now. as u and I have the same opinion that

yonah is based on pentium M's

Peace

Last edited by devarshi84 : 3rd May 2006 at 21:46.
Old 4th May 2006, 07:38   #443
BHPian

Hey guys, wht about aaple notebooks?? I guess they are more expensive then the othrs......but i heard that they have the best firewall.
Old 4th May 2006, 08:11   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioussphinx
Hey guys, wht about aaple notebooks?? I guess they are more expensive then the othrs......but i heard that they have the best firewall.
Apple are good for multimedia and all. But do you know how to operate a mac?

Nothin much hard to learn though but still it would be uncomfy in the beginning.

If going for an apple go with intel cpu's. Powerpcs are outdated.
Old 4th May 2006, 10:03   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
I certainly hope that when u mentioned p6 its was a typo.
No. The Pentium M are derived from Pentium Pro(P6) core. Pentium 4's Netburst arch was not scalable as it was originally thought out to be.
Old 4th May 2006, 13:18   #446
BHPian

It might take Dell 10 minutes to make a laptop, but they don't actually "make" it. They just assemble it in 10-15 min probably. For that they'll have to keep all the components ready which I think they import from China, Malaysia etc. and hence time is consumed for shipping, customs etc. for those components and not the actual laptop. Since they order it in bulk, they manage to keep the delays to a minimum.
So in a way, both you guys are right.
Old 5th May 2006, 03:29   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No. The Pentium M are derived from Pentium Pro(P6) core. Pentium 4's Netburst arch was not scalable as it was originally thought out to be.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_III
An improvement on the Pentium III design is the Pentium M.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_M

The Pentium M represents a new and radical departure for Intel, as it is not a low-power version of the desktop-oriented Pentium 4, but instead a heavily modified version of the Pentium III Tualatin design (itself based on the Pentium Pro core design). It is optimised for power efficiency, a vital characteristic for extending notebook computer battery life.

We are again arguing on the same topic. P-3 architecture is based on pentium pro core.
Old 8th May 2006, 15:14   #448
BHPian

Guys i found this notebook today and it had nice specs and a beautiful price tag too, check it out and gimme ur advice....

HP Pavilion dv5118TX Portable

Model :

*HP Pavilion dv5118TX
*Colour - Silver and Black

Microprocessor :

* Intel Core Duo Processor T2300
* Enhanced SpeedStep Technology
* 667 MHz Front-side Bus Speed

Cache Memory :

* 2 x 1 MB Integrated L2 Cache with advanced transfer cache

Chipset :

* Intel 945PM Express Chipset

Memory :

* 1GB PC2-5300 DDR2 (667 MHz)
* 2 SODIMM Slots (Expandable to 2 GB with discard)

Hard Drive :

* 100 GB Serail ATA
* 150 MB/sec @ 5400 RPM

DVD Writer (3.5 GB) :

* 8X Double Layer (8.5 GB)
* etc etc

Video Graphics :

* NVIDIA GeForce 7400
* Dedicated Graphics
* TurboCache 2.0 Technology upto 256 MB Video Memory

Widescreen Display :

*15.4" Widescreen colour TFT
* Diagonal Size - 15.4" (39.1 cm)
* 1280 x 800 WXGA
* 16:10 Aspect Ratio
* BrightView Screen

Audio / Speakers :

* AC'97 Codec
* Altec Lansing Stereo Speakers
* Total Harmonic Distortion - 0.01%
* Amplifier Power - 2 Watts RMS

* 6-In-1 Digital Media Reader

* Bluetooth

PCMCIA Slots :

* One Type I/II PC card slot
* Supports both 32-Bit CardBus and 16 bit PC Cards
* ExpressCard/54 slot

Battery : 6 Cell Lithium Ion

Interface :

* Expansion port for HP Notebook Expansion base xb2000 (optional)
* Two Headphone Jacks/Line Out
* One Microphone in
* Three USB 2.0 Ports
* One IEEE 1394 Port (4 Pins)
* One S-video TV-out
* One RJ-11 Modem
* One RJ-45 NIC
* One DC Power in
* One VGA Out

* Integrated VGA Web Cam and Microphone

* Microsoft Windows XP Home

Dimensions :

* 1.38 x 14.1 x 10.4 inches
* Weight - 2.99 Kgs / 6.6 lbs
* Two Spindle Fixed

Its even got a remote for multimedia!!! And it costs Rs. 67,000.

What say?
Old 8th May 2006, 15:50   #449
BHPian

The specs and the price quoted make for a delicious combination.
But a few of things seem a bit off to me

1) graphics card 7400 is a value card and does not offer good performance... the 256 mb spec is pretty useless for a value card(its like having a 2gb ram on a p3 500mhz)
2) the hard disk is 5400 rpm only.. and thats slow by todays standards. 7200 rpm is optimal
3) weight seems too high. If u wanna carry it on regular basis.. it'l not be easy.
4) Didnt see Wifi in it.

If u can live with the above.. the rest of the machine is very good
Old 8th May 2006, 19:52   #450
BHPian

look do not even consider the alienware its to to to fat and my friend owns 1 so i know about it being your age these are the laptops i would recommend you.

1. Apple Mac Book Pro as since boot camp was launched now you can run both macintosh and window and its really really awesome.
2. Sony AX series it is way ahead of time.

or if you can wait there is this really cool thing out
its known as a UMPC and codenamed Origami by Microsoft

it has just released yesterday in the US by Samsung priced at $1100 and it is way smaller than any notebook and it runs the proper windoes version just go1 www.samsung.com for more information

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks