Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2015, 20:27   #4366
Senior - BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Apple cuts off support is surprising to me. I use a 2011 MBP and the same is now running on Yosemite the latest OS from Apple. They ensure that all of their new OS are backward compatible and hence carry the previous generations forward.

Anyhow if you wish to banish your sibling to the Window World then check out www.toshibadirect.com I have bought several laptops from the site and never been disappointed. This is a factory direct online shop with great pricing and plenty of options.

As for her staying in TX, apart from the fact that the state has comparatively lower sales tax versus some other states it really does not make much difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Previously, she has used a Macbook and liked it. But the manner in which Apple cuts off support to old models isn't something that I like.

Please suggest one and help me out here.
Ps- Pointers to offers/deals are most welcome. FYI, my sis stays in Texas.
Old 20th April 2015, 20:56   #4367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post

...and hence carry the previous generations forward.
Well, I'm computer-impaired. Forgive me if the statement sounded unfair.

The reason for my statement was that, until recently, my '08 MacBook ( running 10.5.8, I guess ) was unable to play videos on Chrome, didn't support Skype and a host of other apps. The reason being, the system wasn't updated to the latest OS.
So, I shelled out quite a tidy sum on RAM AND OS updates. After the update, I am only able to run 10.7.5; that's the max I can run. Even now many apps don't work, Skype being one of the main ones. And, Apple will soon cease to provide software updates too, if not already.
I being computer technology ignorant, compare this with a '06 Windows laptop I have that still runs all the apps my Mac won't support and gets updates for them too.
Having shelled out a lot more on the Apple, the treatment does seem unfair to me. My POV.

Quote:

Anyhow if you wish to banish your sibling to the Window World then check out www.toshibadirect.com
Lol. I haven't. She still likes Apple and is quite keen on buying one.
The best she can get for that amount is all she's asking for.

Quote:

As for her staying in TX, apart from the fact that the state has comparatively lower sales tax versus some other states it really does not make much difference.
Well, I was hopeful of 'locals' suggesting of a sale going on at some local store maybe.
Again, I'm really stupid here.. Kindly disregard this statement too.

Last edited by schakravarthy : 20th April 2015 at 20:57.
Old 28th April 2015, 14:33   #4368
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys

Never knew a laptop thread existed here

I am looking for few laptops for everyday office use.

Requirements
1. 15+ inch screen
2. 8GB+ RAM
3. i5 and above
4. Windows not a must but good to have(Mostly run ubuntu)
5. Good aftersale support and warranty
6. Good battery backup 2 hours at least

Here are the contenders
1. Lenovo B50-70 4th gen i7
2. HP 15- P073TX 4th gen i7
3. HP r240TX - 5th gen i5
4. Dell inspiron 5548 - 5th gen i5

Lenovo comes with 3 yr warranty. 3 and 4 are newer generation processors.

So the question is
1. Is 5th gen i5 at least similar to 4th gen i7 ?
2. the i7 specs show that they are the dual core versions. I have a i7 4700 which is quad core with HT. So does it mean they are similar in performance to i5 ?

http://www.flipkart.com/computer/com...ME4YHKZEPUFZYF

Please help
Old 28th April 2015, 18:56   #4369
Senior - BHPian

Here are the comparisons

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404674,00.asp
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...core-i5-vs-i7/

In general the newer 4 core chips will be faster (if software supports them) than 2 core chips.

I7 has more buffer and is faster than I5. Whether older I7 is faster than newer I5 depends on the application.
Old 2nd May 2015, 11:59   #4370
Senior - BHPian

Lenovo One Key Recovery not working

I have a Lenovo Flex2 under Win 8.1. Today when trying to do my monthly recovery baclup I find One Key Recovery repeatedly bombing out. I enter kackup, asking it to write the files onto a folder in the removable hard Disk. It then goes into Initialisation, and basically times out and fails after five minutes. I do see some 850MB of files in the folder. I have tried two disc drives, and two USB ports with no luck.
Old 4th May 2015, 15:30   #4371
Senior - BHPian

I just got a 3000 series Inspiron Dell. i3 - 4th Gen, 4GB, 500TB, 2GB Graphics, 15.6", 8.1 Windows. Works well. 39K.
Old 4th May 2015, 16:46   #4372
Distinguished - BHPian

My Brother bought a HP laptop from US which was carried here by his brother-in-law. Its a 15" touchscreen laptop with i3 processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD with 64 bit Windows 8.1.
What has surprised me is the price he paid for it. That same configuration laptop retails here for 63k and he got it for little under 17k as there was some offer going on that time.
I also have to buy a new laptop as my 6 and half year old Lenovo is gone for a toss. Please suggest me a laptop as per this configuration -
Screen size less than 14", preferably 11-12" with touchscreen, 4GB RAM, preferably an i series processor, HDMI port, 3 USB ports and 64bit Windows 8/8.1/7. HDD can be 320 or above. My main usage would be nothing related to gaming or high end work, only photograph processing, net surfing, watching movies etc. Why 4GB? Because I have been using a 4GB system since last 6 &1/2yrs and using a 2GB system doesn't help. Now the biggest issue - Price. It should be at the most 40k. I know I'm asking for a lot. Please spare me. ☺
Old 5th May 2015, 13:29   #4373
Distinguished - BHPian

Any users of Lenovo Ideaflex 2? Please share personal experience if any.
http://www.thedostore.com/lenovo-lap...59-429728.html
Old 5th May 2015, 15:10   #4374
Senior - BHPian

Re: Lenovo One Key Recovery not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have a Lenovo Flex2 under Win 8.1. Today when trying to do my monthly recovery baclup I find One Key Recovery repeatedly bombing out.
Today, i just did a recover from 14 September, so not an unmitigated disaster. Now updating
Old 7th May 2015, 12:33   #4375
Senior - BHPian

I bought the Dell Inspiron 7548, i7 + 16GB version. So far so good. Turned True Colour off, the photos were appearing too saturated.
Old 7th May 2015, 18:48   #4376
BHPian

Contemplating to buy a Macbook Pro non retina available for 55k. I will be using it for everyday use like surfing the web, watching movies and working with office. Rarely, I may use it to run programs like Adobe Photoshop. All I need is a laptop which is well built up and is not sluggish in performance. Also I have an iPhone 6 to complement the laptop. Does it make sense to buy the same? Any other suggestions? It will be grateful if someone can advise me on this purchase!
Old 8th May 2015, 12:11   #4377
Senior - BHPian

A Macbook is the best option if you want a no problem machine. Just keep in mind
. In most Macs the battery is an integral part of the MB, hence cannot be changed by user, and it is very expensive to change it.
. Be sure to buy a 3 year coverage, as the repairs are quite expensive.
Old 8th May 2015, 13:45   #4378
Team-BHP Support

My flawless Dell Inspiron has suddenly given up recognizing the Ethernet port since yesterday. It's available and enabled in BIOS, but no trace anywhere else. I've tried pretty much every troubleshooting tip Google threw up, no go.

What else can I try? Can anyone recommend a reliable repairman in/around South Bangalore? The Laptop is old(er) and Dell Support is frightfully expensive.

Making matters worse, the better half's Inspiron's cooling fan seems to have conked off and it runs really hot before shutting down with a BSOD. Not a good week!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th May 2015 at 13:47.
Old 8th May 2015, 19:25   #4379
BHPian

Picked up a Asus ROG GL551 2 months ago with the below Specs-

i-7 Processor
16gb RAM
1 TB HDD
GTX 860 DDR5 Graphics card.

I was trying to Install Ubuntu on VMPlayer and for some reason it messed the network adapter and I was unable to access internet unless it was from the VMPlayer. Uninstalled and did a system restore was not of much help.

Win 8.1 has a re-install option and tried that and it is asking for the Win 8 .1 CD as there are some files missing and Asus did not ship the CD with the laptop. Asus told me to go to their service center to get it fixed and I am not looking forward to traveling to the SVC.
Old 8th May 2015, 19:30   #4380
Senior - BHPian

That is one of the reasons to get a laptop with OS separately, either on a service partition (IBM Thinkpad) or as a CD/DVD.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks