Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-288.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by naveen.raju (Post 3635839)
Guys, looking out for an high end laptop. Requirements:
1) The biggest screen (anything bigger than 15.6"??)
2) Performance - Need to use 3D rendering tools

Main purpose would be for official purpose - 3D animation and architectural design. Planning to buy next week.

Any suggestions?

Dell Precision workstations would be my recommendation. They're also certified for high end graphics software one is likely to use

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMaruru (Post 3635853)
1. You would get laptops with 18" screens. HP has some models.

2. You can look at alienware from dell. They also have XPS series for high end processing.

Alienware a bit too expensive for me. Let me know your thoughts on the laptop link that's below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 (Post 3636582)
Lenovo Y50.
That's what I have as well.
Quad core i7 4710HQ
GTX 860M 4gb VRAM
8GB RAM
EVO840 250GB SSD ( I added )

I checked the Y series but heard it gets hot pretty fast. Is it true? Do check the below link

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackInTheFold (Post 3636653)
Dell Precision workstations would be my recommendation. They're also certified for high end graphics software one is likely to use

What's your thought on this?

http://www.amazon.in/HP-15-j120TX-15...Windows+8.1%29

Quote:

Originally Posted by naveen.raju (Post 3636692)
What's your thought on this?

You could look into this config.

http://www.amazon.in/Dell-Inspiron-1...2889810&sr=1-1

Y50 is pretty good in the thermal department.
But, it throttles after 65 degrees to 2.4ghz. Which is still very powerful.
The screen is abysmal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 (Post 3636905)
Y50 is pretty good in the thermal department.
But, it throttles after 65 degrees to 2.4ghz. Which is still very powerful.
The screen is abysmal.

This is one laptop that's the front runner but my wife dont fancy those flashy keyboard (cant blame her. It's for her). Anyways, heard that the keyboard part is a bit rubbery and the trackpad isnt all that great. And is it heavy?

If it's ok, can you point out the pros and cons of this lap?

Quote:

Originally Posted by naveen.raju (Post 3637691)

If it's ok, can you point out the pros and cons of this lap?

I recently purchased the y50 and would love to help you out.

Pros:
- Design. Every time I use the laptop the first 10 minutes are spent admiring it. Trust me, it looks way better in real life than on the internet.
- Processing power
- Speakers are nice and have adequate bass as it comes with a mini subwoofer at the back.
- The matte finish around the keyboard and the keyboard itself. The matte finish is somewhat resistant to fingerprints and the keys have a nice feel. The red backlight can be switched off.
- Doesn't heat up much
- Decent battery life

Cons:
- Screen viewing angles are bad, but its something you can live with. But do check it out in person if you're very particular about the screen.
- The brushed aluminum finish is a fingerprint magnet!
- The mouse touch pad feels a little cheap

This is all I could think of for now!

I bought Y50 last week . Except for the touch pad I liked everything. Anyone knows how much does it cost for UHD screen replacement?
BTW, I advice people buying from e-tailers should check for the warranty offered.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suraj25 (Post 3637703)
I recently purchased the y50 and would love to help you out.

Pros:
- Design. Every time I use the laptop the first 10 minutes are spent admiring it. Trust me, it looks way better in real life than on the internet.
- Processing power
- Speakers are nice and have adequate bass as it comes with a mini subwoofer at the back.
- The matte finish around the keyboard and the keyboard itself. The matte finish is somewhat resistant to fingerprints and the keys have a nice feel. The red backlight can be switched off.
- Doesn't heat up much
- Decent battery life

Cons:
- Screen viewing angles are bad, but its something you can live with. But do check it out in person if you're very particular about the screen.
- The brushed aluminum finish is a fingerprint magnet!
- The mouse touch pad feels a little cheap

This is all I could think of for now!

Quote:

Originally Posted by _chikku (Post 3637706)
I bought Y50 last week . Except for the touch pad I liked everything. Anyone knows how much does it cost for UHD screen replacement?
BTW, I advice people buying from e-tailers should check for the warranty offered.

Thanks for your comments. Spot on with the reviews. Checked out some videos and these were the points put forward by the reviewers. But wanted to get the reviews from users and thanks for that. I am planning to get this from a local shop.

@chikku, how much did you pay for the laptop and any goodies along with it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by naveen.raju (Post 3637713)

@chikku, how much did you pay for the laptop and any goodies along with it?

I paid INR 81000. Got 3 year warranty. Nothing else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by _chikku (Post 3637706)

UHD not possible. Different connector.

Quote:

Originally Posted by _chikku (Post 3637733)
I paid INR 81000. Got 3 year warranty. Nothing else.

Where was this? I got mine for 78k from a lenovo/dell store in Bangalore. Have applied for 3 year warranty

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suraj25 (Post 3638184)
Where was this? I got mine for 78k from a lenovo/dell store in Bangalore. Have applied for 3 year warranty

I got from India computers in Malleswaram.

Quote:

Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 (Post 3638076)
UHD not possible. Different connector.

Cant say not possible. Laptop has this sticker on it.

Hi TechGurus,

Can anyone suggest me few good laptops in the range of 30-35k?

1.Good reliability and After sales
2.good screen resolution and size (NOT 17in, looking at 15in odd)
3.Performance specifications if not high can be moderate as well (4GB RAM/500GB HDD/good processor)

Thanks

Need some expert opinions here.
I am looking at a laptop which can fulfill the following:
14" or up
Able to run multiple tabs in chrome and Firefox, outlook, word, bitlord simultaneously without lag.
Hdmi out
Decent battery
Decent support
Ships with win7.if not, then dos or Linux. No win8
Should be able to withstand running for days without break.

Budget, as close to 20 as possible. I don't need anything else, brand is inconsequential as well.

I got a dancing singing flexpad earlier, but had to put it up on Swapji, unfortunately, no one wants it in exchange either. That experience with win8 is enough to put me off for life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayankk (Post 3659110)
Able to run multiple tabs in chrome and Firefox, outlook, word, bitlord simultaneously without lag.

Budget, as close to 20 as possible. I don't need anything else, brand is inconsequential as well.

To satisfy the former quoted requirement, you should most definitely be looking at an SSD in the laptop with at least 8G RAM. But then I doubt it'd satisfy your latter requirement.