Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-278.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvrchandra (Post 3459297)
Guys, I need your help here. My laptop ( Dell Inspiron 1520 ) initially came with windows vista. Few months back this was changed to Windows 7 pro. I have airtel broadband with airtel supplied wife router since few years ago.

After changing the laptop OS to Win 7, I've changed the wifi router also to D-Link 2750U from amazon. Off late, I've been observing a peculiar problem. My laptop is not detecting my wifi connection while it shows other near by wifi connections. My Note 10.1, note 2 and other mobiles are working fine with this router while my laptop is not detecting the wifi connection.

Initially, when the new router is installed, the same problem came up. Do not know how it got resolved then and was working till few days ago. When the laptop is connected to the router using lan cable, it works fine. But, wifi connection is not working.

Need your help and possible solution in solving this issue. Thanks in advance.

The same thing happened to me. Did you upgrade the firmware by any chance to a non India specific firmware? Change your channel from automatic to an India specific channel (7 should do) and then try it. Worked for me, I had the middle east firmware.

New question: has anyone been able to set up a print server on the new 2750, the one with the bigger antenna?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvrchandra (Post 3459297)
Guys, I need your help here. My laptop ( Dell Inspiron 1520 ) initially came with windows vista. Few months back this was changed to Windows 7 pro. I have airtel broadband with airtel supplied wife router since few years ago.

After changing the laptop OS to Win 7, I've changed the wifi router also to D-Link 2750U from amazon. Off late, I've been observing a peculiar problem. My laptop is not detecting my wifi connection while it shows other near by wifi connections. My Note 10.1, note 2 and other mobiles are working fine with this router while my laptop is not detecting the wifi connection.

Initially, when the new router is installed, the same problem came up. Do not know how it got resolved then and was working till few days ago. When the laptop is connected to the router using lan cable, it works fine. But, wifi connection is not working.

Need your help and possible solution in solving this issue. Thanks in advance.

go to device manager and click on repair network adapter. If that does not work try and uninstall and re-install network adapter.

Bought this Dell Vostro laptop from flipkart for an effective price of 32k (after 3K cash discount + 10% cashback on SCB cards offer). A good deal since it is an i5 with 2GB dedicated graphics memory

general question - almost all new laptops from online retailers (offline too, i suspect) come preloaded with win8/8.1. is there a way to revert to win7 after purchase? or will this be locked out in BIOS?

Quote:

Originally Posted by WindRide (Post 3469739)
general question - almost all new laptops from online retailers (offline too, i suspect) come preloaded with win8/8.1. is there a way to revert to win7 after purchase? or will this be locked out in BIOS?

It's possible to revert to win 7,though it's not very straightforward. The new Windows 8 laptops come with GPT type formatted hard disks, which you need to convert to MBR to install Windows 7. There are softwares available online which can do this for you.

Also, please make a separate partition for win 7 and dual boot it initially. If everything works fine, you can Uninstall win 8. This is just so that you don't Uninstall win 8 first, run into a prob installing win 7 and then have a brand new laptop that cannot boot because it no longer has an OS

Cheers,
Rohan

Quote:

Originally Posted by WindRide (Post 3469739)

You can revert to Windows 7. If the laptop comes with UEFI BIOS, which is the case for most laptops, you will have to use legacy mode to install Windows 7 to MBR.

You can install UEFI mode as well but with either Win 7 DVD or modified USB.

Hope it helps.

Why revert? I find Win8.1 different but very stable. Mine is 8.1 while my wife's is 7, so I am playing with both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by null (Post 3465398)
Bought this Dell Vostro laptop from flipkart for an effective price of 32k (after 3K cash discount + 10% cashback on SCB cards offer). A good deal since it is an i5 with 2GB dedicated graphics memory

A query, can we use this laptop without changing the OS..?

Good to know OS can be reverted. Another frequent problem seems to be with Win7 drivers for new laptops, especially ASUS, which supports only win8 i think.

Any experience from ASUS owners who faced driver related problems while reverting to Win7 and how they solved it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxTorque (Post 3470136)
A query, can we use this laptop without changing the OS..?

It has Ubuntu. We are using it with ubuntu itself. If you want to, you can replace with an OS of your choice

My wife's Toshiba M640's battery packed up after just under two years of sparing use. Toshiba re no longer selling these, so got one from Lapcare. I had also got these for my Acer Timeline 1310 after two packed up within a year, and for my daughter's Toshiba.

Hello Bhpians,

I am looking to replace by current 4 YO laptop with the following config for a better one

Current Laptop
i3 2.53 Ghz
3 GB RAM
1 GB ATI 5510 Gx Card

Requirement for the new laptop
i5 minimum / No AMD since have heard of heating issues with it
4-8 GB of RAM
A good graphics card ( Suggestions needed here along with links)

Budget - 50k

Hai Friends,

Need to buy an i5, 4 GB Ram, 500 GB HDD + 2 GB graphics card under 40 K. Which models and brands are good now?

Usage: Day to day, browsing, email, video editing -nothing fancy - movie maker type, photoshop mild usage. Do you think an i3 can do this?

Thanks in advance for pointers.

--Ramky
=====

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramkya1 (Post 3472281)
Need to buy an i5, 4 GB Ram, 500 GB HDD + 2 GB graphics card under 40 K. Which models and brands are good now?

Check Dell Vostro 3446 on flipkart - available at 34k (minus 10% if you have a SCB card). Everything is fine,except for their integrated mouse keys with the touchpad. If you are using a mouse, then it should be fine.

Thanks for the suggestion.

After visiting a couple of show rooms and doing some research on the net found 2 deals worth considering; Dell Vastro 3000 series, 14" i5, 4 GB ram, 500gn Hdd, 2 gb Nvideo card, Dos / Win 7, Bag, 1 yr on site warranty at 38500/ and HP 15R 007TX- all same except HD of 1 TB and screen 15.6". HP at 39000/- looks good as a bigger screen makes sense with a video card, though it's a trade off in increased weight of 200 gms more.

--Ramky
=====