Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-250.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mroptimist (Post 3188815)
You have to integrate SATA drivers by any of the WinPE methods. My favorite method is by using nLite, which is free and really good.

You can get it here : http://nliteos.pcrpg.org/nlite/nLite....installer.exe

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the link. Will that include the driver or I will have to download the driver?

Quote:

Originally Posted by saket77 (Post 3188828)
Thanks for the link. Will that include the driver or I will have to download the driver?

You will have to download the driver, if it's in a compressed format you will have to unzip it and find the .inf file which is the SATA driver for you. Why don't you use SATA in IDE mode itself?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mroptimist (Post 3188834)
You will have to download the driver, if it's in a compressed format you will have to unzip it and find the .inf file which is the SATA driver for you. Why don't you use SATA in IDE mode itself?

I tried initially, but the system gave a message "could not find an OS" or something like that.
The current status is that I plugged the USB and then the system booted! Well I have to first copy some important files, so doing it right now, then will see if the re-boot is successful or not.
The controller is set to IDE only at the moment. Hope it helps, because I am not able to find my SATA drivers on the internet. But thanks for coming in and offering the help. Will bug you guys again in case things decide to get messed up again.

Thanks,
Saket

@saket77; Also, make sure you partition the disk and keep all the work stuff on a partition other than C. This way if the windows partition is reformatted you do not lose the stuff. I normally have three partitions - C, E and F (D is reserved for the DVD/CD). C is wondows / OS, E is work, and F the software and backup. Of course with Win Vista and 7 one can partition using the OS itself. With XP you may have to use something like Partition Magic (still much better than the MS cr@p, but not usable Vista onwards).

I even keep my Firefox and Thunderbird files on F:.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxTorque (Post 3185977)
Has any one compared Dell laptops prices in Dell India's online stores and retail stores? I would like to get an every day use laptop any suggestions from BHPians are welcomed.

I did a comparison a few days ago. Dell website did give compartively lower quotes than most offline stores I had asked in, but I picked it up lower than their website quote from a shop on Tilak Road. This was a month ago. And I regret not bargaining even 1 bit. :Frustrati

I downloaded the Cbiz software files on to my laptop only to realise that they require minimum of 4GB RAM and my laptop has only 2GB.

My options now are to either upgrade to a new machine, the laptop is hardly one month old and I made the wrong choice. OR

Host the sql data base externally. The Cbiz guy gave me an lead called hamaraseher based in Hyderabad.

I am so confused. What should I do? This time onward, I am not going to just bite the bullet, however think and do.

What are my options for external hosting? What is the best thing to do? Host externally or buy a new machine?
If I buy space externally, maybe in the future I can have the same people to host a server also?
All inputs welcome, I need all the advice you experienced guys can share.

UPDATE
Here is the quote I received now.

http://q.hs9.in/NM46A925BD

Hello Friends,
I am looking to replace my dinosaur Dell 630M with a new laptop. Laptop because my lifestyle does not fit a desktop/table/chair etc in it.

My budget is around 60k (+- a few Gs) INR. My use will be the usual surfing, downloading, watching a lot of movies, occasional gaming and photo editing. I am noob photography enthusiast and have waited to dive into the post-processing ocean because of the machine I currently own. So the new machine needs to be powerful, smooth, great screen (good resolution, color reproduction, brightness, view-angles etc etc), have decent Audio. Oh and Yeah! I would use the machine as a home lab system hosting VMware Workstation lab setup etc. So basically a power-house on budget.

The specs that would like are :
-15" or more screen size
- 3rd gen i7
-1TB HDD or 500GB+SSD combo
-8GB RAM
-screen resolution higher than the usual 1366x768 (?) that I use at work. Full HD may be or 1600x900? not sure which is better
-descent graphics card for all the tasks listed above
-good build quality (my current one is dying after 6+ years of service)
-battery life wouldn't matter much as it will primarily used at home
-Not a big fan of Windows8 so far, so Windows7 would do just fine. Also do none of the vendors give CDs (OS, drivers etc) anymore.

So far, I liked the Dell Inspiron 17R Turbo 3D (Full-HD display, price = 70k approx) or the Samsung NP550P5C-S05IN (1600x900, price = 60k approx).

Please help me choose from the gazillion laptop models out in the market.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenster (Post 3194195)
Hello Friends,
I am looking to replace my dinosaur Dell 630M with a new laptop. Laptop because my lifestyle does not fit a desktop/table/chair etc in it.

So far, I liked the Dell Inspiron 17R Turbo 3D (Full-HD display, price = 70k approx) or the Samsung NP550P5C-S05IN (1600x900, price = 60k approx).

Please help me choose from the gazillion laptop models out in the market.

Stay away from Samsung laptops however good their specs may appear on paper.

Dell makes very good laptops, especially the business series like XPS, Vostro, Latitude and precision. Only problem with inspiron is build quality, which is not great. But if you are not a mobile professional who needs to carry his laptop on the move inspiron is a good laptop.

Whichever brand you eventually choose make sure you extend the warranty to at least 3 years (1+2). Some business laptops, like the one I own (Dell Latitude E6430) have an option of extending the warranty to 5 years.

Hope it helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mroptimist (Post 3194520)
Stay away from Samsung laptops however good their specs may appear on paper.

Dell makes very good laptops, especially the business series like XPS, Vostro, Latitude and precision. Only problem with inspiron is build quality, which is not great. But if you are not a mobile professional who needs to carry his laptop on the move inspiron is a good laptop.

Whichever brand you eventually choose make sure you extend the warranty to at least 3 years (1+2). Some business laptops, like the one I own (Dell Latitude E6430) have an option of extending the warranty to 5 years.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for replying mroptimist.

I will strike off Samsung from my list then. And I agree, Inspirons dont have good build quality.

But then, which models do you suggest for my requirements above? The business models you speak about may be functionally great but they lack is features like the display resolution, multimedia functions etc. At the moment I cant afford a MacBook although it would fit my requirements to the T. I dont want a compromise system because I will use it for a long time. So please suggest some models.

Quote:

Originally Posted by beejay (Post 3193771)
I downloaded the Cbiz software files on to my laptop only to realise that they require minimum of 4GB RAM and my laptop has only 2GB.

My options now are to either upgrade to a new machine, the laptop is hardly one month old and I made the wrong choice. OR

Host the sql data base externally. The Cbiz guy gave me an lead called hamaraseher based in Hyderabad.

I am so confused. What should I do? This time onward, I am not going to just bite the bullet, however think and do.

What are my options for external hosting? What is the best thing to do? Host externally or buy a new machine?
If I buy space externally, maybe in the future I can have the same people to host a server also?
All inputs welcome, I need all the advice you experienced guys can share.

UPDATE Here is the quote I received now.

http://q.hs9.in/NM46A925BD

Get your laptop's RAM upgraded. Would be the easiest. A 4 GB module would cost you downwards of 2k.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenster (Post 3194643)
Thanks for replying mroptimist.

I will strike off Samsung from my list then. And I agree, Inspirons dont have good build quality.

But then, which models do you suggest for my requirements above? The business models you speak about may be functionally great but they lack is features like the display resolution, multimedia functions etc. At the moment I cant afford a MacBook although it would fit my requirements to the T. I dont want a compromise system because I will use it for a long time. So please suggest some models.

Dell Inspiron Turbo 17R is the best buck for your money in that price range. Customize and then start bargaining over phone directly with the Dell Customer Care executives, you'll get a good price.

Other brands you can look at are ASUS K series laptops (VFM but without a great screen and with DOS, and ASUS service is nowhere near as good as Dell's) HP notebooks or Lenovo laptops.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mroptimist (Post 3194703)
Dell Inspiron Turbo 17R is the best buck for your money in that price range. Customize and then start bargaining over phone directly with the Dell Customer Care executives, you'll get a good price.

Other brands you can look at are ASUS K series laptops (VFM but without a great screen and with DOS, and ASUS service is nowhere near as good as Dell's) HP notebooks or Lenovo laptops.

Thanks.

Yes, thats the reason I quoted that Model of Dell. The configuration in that price seems good. I did read your prev posts about calling the cust. care and customizing+bargaining, plus I think I can get hold of some Old Colleague and get some more discount that way.

In other brands, I could find some models with the i7/8GB/1TB/2GB-Graphics combination but the screen resolution is the same 720p only which is a let down. I could not find a decent HP specimen with more than 720p but did find the Ideapad Y500 with the optional Full HD display option. (http://shop.lenovo.com/ISS_Static/WW...-datasheet.pdf) How is this for an option? better than the 17R Turbo in terms of build and screen? I guess Dell service still trumps Lenovo right?

What do you and others here think about getting laptop imported for foreign markets (US/UK) ? Do we still get international warranties which hold good in India? Do they still have the pricing edge that they did earlier?

Just read this (could be alarmist but definitely worth consideration)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...g-8737072.html
More background stuff:

The CEO who caught the Chinese spies red-handed
http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/08/tech...une/index.html

The original Mandiant Report of Feb 2013 that set off the recent storm
APT1: Exposing One of China's Cyber Espionage Units
http://intelreport.mandiant.com/Mand...PT1_Report.pdf

Quote:

Originally Posted by mroptimist (Post 3186482)
As you can see from this attached image, taken from Dell India website, on top left corner there are two phone numbers, you could call either number and place an order. You could pay by credit card or DD after the sales person sends you a quote (you can bargain like tomatoes after the initial quote), pay after the final bargaining is over.

You can bargain for like a week.

Thanks a lot. I didnt know that we could haggle over the price with the customer care. :)

So what would be the ballpark %age of price reduction should one keep in mind while haggling?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagarpadaki (Post 3194894)
Thanks a lot. I didnt know that we could haggle over the price with the customer care. :)

So what would be the ballpark %age of price reduction should one keep in mind while haggling?

As a % I would say a minimum of 10% to a maximum of 30%. I got 25% off on my purchase of Dell Latitude E6430 Premiere with Pro support.