Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-244.html)

Guys, anybody here bought Laptops from ebay.in deals ?

There are quite a few Dell ones, imported from Thailand with i5 3rd gen and 8gb ram. There are mainly two, one with Nvidia's low end 620M card and one with no extra graphic card, just the on-board Intel one. Both are available for 30-33K.Many seem to have got sold. Can we trust these laptops?

Further, I'm looking for a laptop with i5/i3 3rd gen with 4/8gb ram. I will be primarily using it for browsing and watching movies . Don't wanna play any games as I have a PS3 to get that job done. But, I may be running Cadd software's like Ansys, Catia. So, does these really require dedicated graphic card ?

I mean, will I be able to watch 1080p/720p movies on a Intel graphic card one, or 1080p requires dedicated graphics ? I dont wanna spend much more than 35K because i intend to upgrade my Desktop heavily to a high spec one, later this year, for gaming.

Then, what is the difference between the 1st gen,2nd gen and 3rd gen processors on our daily usage ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by akhil_rpmlover (Post 3040352)
Guys, anybody here bought Laptops from ebay.in deals ?

There are quite a few Dell ones, imported from Thailand with i5 3rd gen and 8gb ram. There are mainly two, one with Nvidia's low end 620M card and one with no extra graphic card, just the on-board Intel one. Both are available for 30-33K.Many seem to have got sold. Can we trust these laptops?

Read the detail of the product specified by the seller on eBay carefully and do purchase it if genuine manufacturer's warranty is valid in India. If not so, it's a gamble.
1080/720 HD videos do play well with onboard Intel graphic card. So, i don't think you genuinely needs separate graphic card for your purpose.
1st/2nd/3rd gen intel processors basically differs on manufacturing process, consuming less power, better cache performance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by superbhikari (Post 3040730)
Read the detail of the product specified by the seller on eBay carefully and do purchase it if genuine manufacturer's warranty is valid in India. If not so, it's a gamble.
1080/720 HD videos do play well with onboard Intel graphic card. So, i don't think you genuinely needs separate graphic card for your purpose.
1st/2nd/3rd gen intel processors basically differs on manufacturing process, consuming less power, better cache performance.

NHe gives a Thai bill . Asked another guy who bought it. He says no issue so far. However, it says warranty can be availed in India.

Here's the link: http://www.ebay.in/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....m=281064501371

What about the amd ones? There is amd A10 quad one in flipkart for 38k, with good graphic card. I dont need the GPU, still, how is amd quad vs the Intel ones ?

Google introduces touch screen laptop (Pixel is the next version of Chrome book).
Its also costlier now.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...screen-laptop/

Hello,
I am on the lookout for an ultrabook, preferably 14 or a 15 incher.
Here are my requirements,

1. It should have an excellent battery back up. Nothing less than 6 hours on normal usage. (Surfing, video streaming etc) *extremely important since I travel a lot*
2. Budget - Around 50-55k
3. Ram 4-6GB
4. Hard disk - 500+ GB
5. I enjoy gaming, so it should have decent gaming capabilities.

As of now, the only laptop I have in mind is the HP Envy sleekbook 1015TX/1014TX. The company claims a battery life of 8hrs and 15 minutes.
Does anyone own any of the above two?

Would really appreciate some suggestions. Thanks

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

I have an Asus K53S for over a year. i7 and the works for under 50k. However the hard disc is very slow and the keyboard lousy. I hear they have improved since then!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 3081737)
I have an Asus K53S for over a year. i7 and the works for under 50k. However the hard disc is very slow and the keyboard lousy. I hear they have improved since then!

I have an n53 with i7 , it overheats all the time.

The Power jack had to be replaced and they tried to charge me 10k at rashi.

Had to order parts from abroad for 4k, asus spares aren't available in the open market.

Please check the review on notebookcheck.com and decide they give you detailed reviews on the cooling capabilities of your laptop.

Cheers,
Jayanth

Bought a Lenovo G580 laptop with following configuration on Friday night:
3rd gen i3
2 GB RAM
500 GB HDD
2x USB3.0
1x USB 2.0

After opening the pack I booted it up for the first time, configured few options. Then I decided to make the recovery drive using One Touch Recovery feature provided by Lenovo. As soon as I started it, I could hear faint whistling sound coming from the laptop. This continued to peak at frequent intervals. Nevertheless, the recovery drive was created.
Saturday morning, again I could hear the whistle under normal conditions. No stressful usage, normal browsing, copying few data. In the evening after charging, when I try to boot up, media crashed!!! Windows 8 would not recover and asked me th option to recover from the recovery drive. I obliged and that also did not work! By now, the whistling was like faint pressure cooker noise.
Sunday morning, i returned the laptop and now waiting for the replacement which I am promised this evening. I am not buying Lenovo anymore, I have made this clear to the store. Going for Samsung with similar configuration. I was shocked to experience all this within 24 hours of buying it! :deadhorse

The customer service at Reliance Digital (HSR Layout) is pathetic and they don't take any steps in the direction of customer satisfaction. The guys standing at their booth don't know what the indicators are meant for and run to the manager for every question asked :Frustrati

A very bad experience with both Lenovo and Reliance Digital HSR l/o. I am just praying that I get a laptop as committed in the evening.

^^^Sorry to hear about your experience. How much did you pay for the laptop?

According to a friend who deals with and repairs laptops, currently, the relatively more durable bets are Asus, Dell, and perhaps HP. Also, all laptops made as recently as just a year or two ago are just not as durable as the ones made say even 5 years ago. Most of the time its the Mobo that fails, and most are so thin and flimsy it just warps as soon as you begin any soldering work! Replacing is the only option, and the cost does not make sense. This is esp. true about Lenovo (at least the ones sold in India). So best thing is to buy one with the longest warranty. Some models of Dell and Fujitsu were giving 3 years warranty recently (at no extra cost).

I know there are some -ve reviews on Asus above, but as of now they seem to be amongst the better ones. The keyboard of the ones I'v checked were good and none of my friends have overheating issues. Apparently they have improved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotoNanu (Post 3082149)
A very bad experience with both Lenovo and Reliance Digital HSR l/o. I am just praying that I get a laptop as committed in the evening.

Update:

Bought the Samsung 3 series: Samsung 300E5C with same configuration though the processor is i3 gen2.
Looks wise, the laptop is very basic, but the keys, screen and smooth functionality make up for it. This I got at INR29990.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raccoon (Post 3083869)
Also, all laptops made as recently as just a year or two ago are just not as durable as the ones made say even 5 years ago.

Even I feel so. Earlier I had a Toshiba satellite, which my sister purchased in 2005 and it served me well till 2010 without any issues. Nowadays it is all about features and longevity is compromised.

I recently bought a 1.5TB portable drive which is default formatted as FAT32. Should I change that to NTFS? Formatting the whole drive may take about half a day on USB 2.0 since my laptop does not have 3.0

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotoNanu (Post 3084055)

Even I feel so. Earlier I had a Toshiba satellite, which my sister purchased in 2005 and it served me well till 2010 without any issues. Nowadays it is all about features and longevity is compromised.

Get a business laptop instead of home laptop and you will find that build quality and durability increases many fold but so does the price. I recently bought a thinkpad T series laptop and a Toshiba Satellite home laptop and I feel the Toshiba to be very delicate and flimsy compared to the thinkpad. My preference for a good durable laptop is thinkpad or dell precision or Latitude or even vostro than any of the cheaper home grade laptops.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 3081737)

Cannot do much about the keyboard. Perhaps replace it or get an external one.
However, the hard disk on laptops are typically 5400 rpm which are a huge bottleneck on performance. They do not compare at all with a desktop 5400 rpm. Replace it with a min of 7200 rpm WD scorpio black or seagate momentus. They are better but not a patch on the desktop 7200 rpm. If your laptop supports it (should because it is 2011-12 vintage), get a SSD and see the difference.
I consider buying a high end (<50K) laptop with a 5400 rpm hard disk to be equivalent of crippling say a Merc with a Maruti engine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abdriver2000 (Post 3084674)
I recently bought a 1.5TB portable drive which is default formatted as FAT32. Should I change that to NTFS? Formatting the whole drive may take about half a day on USB 2.0 since my laptop does not have 3.0

Yes you can do that but use quick format. There is no need for a full length formatting of the drive.