Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2012, 14:47   #3541
Senior - BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
But then just compare say Made in Japan stuff with Made in China.... you are bound to find a difference. And I'm talking about international brands/MNCs... not Chinese brands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Well most of the electronic items are manufactured in China Even my recently purchased Sony Vaio laptop is made in china but it's not that it is a lemon. it's working absolutely fine as per my expectations.
I own a sony vaio since 2007, bought in Germany, Made in China.. Quality, I should say, will put a German to shame. 5 years and absolute bliss. Now since a couple of weeks, I own a Lenovo Thinkpad, quality, topnotch. One cannot simply generalize chinese made goods to be of lower quality, even if they are a chinese brand. They have come a long way, like the japanese, in making very high quality stuff. I dont think, with the assumptions that we have about their quality, they wont be able to send men/women to space and bring them back in one piece.
Old 18th July 2012, 16:00   #3542
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Call his bluff.

If they try to charge you, please go to the consumer court. There have been a lot of similar litigation, and if there is no explicit sign of physical damage, you win.
That's what I SHOULD have done

Unfortunately we need the laptop back in action, so I caved and asked him to replace the unit at a negotiated price. No warranty claim.

The replacement part looks and feels exactly like the original piece, which incidentally was also Chinese and not Lenovo-branded at all (some brand called Chunghwa. Made me hungry )

The service guy showed me the crack and said it could ONLY be caused by physical damage like something banging hard on it or it falling to the ground. Since we have no way of refuting it, promised ourselves to be more careful in future and bit the bullet.
Old 18th July 2012, 19:21   #3543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

The service guy showed me the crack and said it could ONLY be caused by physical damage like something banging hard on it or it falling to the ground. Since we have no way of refuting it, promised ourselves to be more careful in future and bit the bullet.
That is why I love the Thinkpad series. They have extremely rigid case and pretty shock proof. To an extent that in their advertisement they would drop the laptop, and it would still be working.

Most of the laptops with plastic cases have a flexible lid, which can and does damage the LCD if used roughly, hence if you want an insurance against LCD damage (or plainly more rugged machine than the run of the mill stuff), go for those with metal or metal/frp composite cases.
Old 18th July 2012, 19:28   #3544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
I own a sony vaio since 2007, bought in Germany, Made in China.. Quality, I should say, will put a German to shame. 5 years and absolute bliss. Now since a couple of weeks, I own a Lenovo Thinkpad, quality, topnotch. One cannot simply generalize chinese made goods to be of lower quality, even if they are a chinese brand. They have come a long way, like the japanese, in making very high quality stuff. I dont think, with the assumptions that we have about their quality, they wont be able to send men/women to space and bring them back in one piece.
Well, it was less of a generalization and more of a comment about Toshiba lappies. But the "slave labour" part is a fact. What impact that has on quality is another matter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
That's what I SHOULD have done

Unfortunately we need the laptop back in action, so I caved and asked him to replace the unit at a negotiated price. No warranty claim.

The replacement part looks and feels exactly like the original piece, which incidentally was also Chinese and not Lenovo-branded at all (some brand called Chunghwa. Made me hungry )

Sad that you caved in. If it wasn't physical damage, they should be made to honor their warranty.

Chunghwa?! IIRC, our Onida CRT picture tube is of that brand and again IIRC, its made in Malasia.
Old 23rd July 2012, 18:40   #3545
BANNED

My Gateway laptop (1.5 years old) needs a motherboard replacement and they ask for Rs.11000. Never again will I buy a gateway/acer product.
Old 23rd July 2012, 19:55   #3546
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy
My Gateway laptop (1.5 years old) needs a motherboard replacement and they ask for Rs.11000. Never again will I buy a gateway/acer product.
Who does?
1.5 years, shouldn't you still be in warranty?
Have you tried Nehru place?
They replaced my vaio's graphics card for a pittance.
Old 24th July 2012, 19:06   #3547
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Who does?
1.5 years, shouldn't you still be in warranty?
Warranty is for one year.

Quote:
Have you tried Nehru place?
I checked plane fares - doesn't seem worth it just for getting a laptop repaired :-)

Quote:
They replaced my vaio's graphics card for a pittance.
I think laptop motherboards are not easily available (except may be for very popular models). Couple of guys I checked with say they have to get it from Gateway and it would cost 11K.
Old 28th July 2012, 16:57   #3548
BHPian

Guys! Need to replace my 4 year old Vaio. Can some one suggest an Ultrabook, witin a budget of about 60k ( all inclusive), Battery backup , primary concern.
Old 29th July 2012, 08:52   #3549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
Guys! Need to replace my 4 year old Vaio. Can some one suggest an Ultrabook, witin a budget of about 60k ( all inclusive), Battery backup , primary concern.
You can look at ASUS, its great-wide variety at your price range,amazing quality, bright screen and lit keyboard with the new quadcore processors, its fast.
Old 31st July 2012, 11:22   #3550
Senior - BHPian

I have a query about my Dell XPS 15 laptop and possible RAM upgrades:

CPU: i7-2760QM/HM67 chipset
Intel® Core)

RAM: 8GB (2*4GB) DDR3 1333 Mhz.

As per Intel specs, it should be able to support 1600Mhz natively (Sandybridge) with a mx of 32GB. However, since there are only 2 RAM slots, it may be able to go up to 16GB only, which is great enough.

I would like to mod my laptop to a Crucial m4 512GB SSD and perhaps maxing out on RAM.

SSD will not have an issue regarding compatibility. However with regards to RAM, can I expect 2*8GB=16 GB of 1600Mhz to work properly or a better choice would be 2*8GB=16 GB of 1333 Mhz. Also, what about 2*4GB of 1600 Mhz (not sure if this is worthwhile over the existing 2*4GB of 1333). The price diff between 1333 and 1600 is significant, and I consider increasing memory size (8 to 16GB) bandwidth to be more important than increasing frequency (1333 to 1600).

Please help so that I can order both.

Last edited by vasudeva : 31st July 2012 at 11:24.
Old 31st July 2012, 13:06   #3551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400
Car_Crazy not sure what your exact requirement for the device is but a very good option is the Vaio S series. Light as a ultrabook and provides comparable battery backup. I have looked into multiple laptops for me dad and zeroed in on the S series. Pm and I can share more specific details.

Also need some insight from anyone who had used the Sony E Series 14" models - SVE series. Am planning one for me mum so any user experiences will help
Old 31st July 2012, 13:41   #3552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
The price diff between 1333 and 1600 is significant, and I consider increasing memory size (8 to 16GB) bandwidth to be more important than increasing frequency (1333 to 1600).
This depends on use case. Are you hitting limits of RAM at the moment? I.e. is memory usage close to 8 GB now?
Old 31st July 2012, 15:06   #3553
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I need to buy a 13" laptop which should be fast for personal use, budget is around 40 thousand.
My needs will be surfing, word, excel, a cd/dvd burner, wireless and not much else.

Please suggest a brand, configuration etc which would take care of my usage.

I am very confused with all the options available in the market and need help

Thanks!
Old 31st July 2012, 16:13   #3554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
This depends on use case. Are you hitting limits of RAM at the moment? I.e. is memory usage close to 8 GB now?
Maybe you are right as perhaps SSD will make a huge difference rather than spending 8K on 16GB laptop RAM. No way does it hit 8GB. Then perhaps switching from 1333 to 1600 and keeping at 8GB could be workable.
Old 1st August 2012, 01:49   #3555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva

Maybe you are right as perhaps SSD will make a huge difference rather than spending 8K on 16GB laptop RAM. No way does it hit 8GB. Then perhaps switching from 1333 to 1600 and keeping at 8GB could be workable.
Yes you will rarely hit 8gb ram. An pure SSD or a hybrid drive (part SSD and rest high rpm regular HD) will be better use of monies. Also if it'd graphics performance, I know we get USB powered external graphics cards - which can ump your 3d/graphics performance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks