Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2011, 13:19   #3106
Senior - BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

After much deliberations settled for a HP laptop. Purchased the following model:

Model: HP 630
RAM: 2 GB increaed to 4 GB DDR3
HDD: 500 GB
Processor: 2nd gen i5-230M
Others: Bluetooth, HDMI, Integrated Camera, Wifi
Cost: 34845/-
Addtional cost: 850/- for Norton Antivirus 1 yr
Dealer: Geonet, Thane

Freebies: Backpack, optical mouse, mousepad, Holiday voucher, vaccum cleaner, Reebok voucher etc (total 10 gifts).

I hope the deal is Ok.
Old 16th July 2011, 14:25   #3107
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
After much deliberations settled for a HP laptop. Purchased the following model:

Model: HP 630
RAM: 2 GB increaed to 4 GB DDR3
HDD: 500 GB
Processor: 2nd gen i5-230M
Others: Bluetooth, HDMI, Integrated Camera, Wifi
Cost: 34845/-
Addtional cost: 850/- for Norton Antivirus 1 yr
Dealer: Geonet, Thane

Freebies: Backpack, optical mouse, mousepad, Holiday voucher, vaccum cleaner, Reebok voucher etc (total 10 gifts).

I hope the deal is Ok.
If you want a legal copy of windows, why not buy a laptop pre-installed with with a licensed copy of Windows. That will always be cheaper than buying a laptop & then separately buying a legal copy of Windows. OEM Windows costs are much cheaper than buying one separately.

Also, if you have legal windows, you can always download Microsoft Security Essentials. That's a free & a good antivirus - only thing is that it works only on legal copies of Windows. But if you use it, you don't have to separately subscribe for Norton or any other paid AV.
Old 16th July 2011, 16:38   #3108
BHPian

Hello Friends,
My elderly uncle, who is used to a desktop is looking for a replacement. I suggested him a laptop. His requirements are:

1 Reliability - most important
2 Big screen and keyboard
3 good enough for surfing and MS office work

Good to haves:
1 Battery life
2 weight is not important, since it will mostly be used as a desktop

I am planning to suggest an intel i3 processor based CPU with 2 GB RAM. Hard disk anyways comes with > 320 gb.

I am confused between Dell inspiron(for on site service) and Sony vaio E series (looks great, and works great)

Budget 35k.
Thanks,
Aroop
Old 16th July 2011, 17:44   #3109
Senior - BHPian

Guys help me with this. If I have the following configuration:-

Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i3-370M processor
Chipset: Intel HM 55
Memory: 2GB 1066 MHz DDR3, Upgradeable to 8GB DDR3
Hard disk: 500 GB SATA HDD 5400 rpm
Optical drive: Light scribe super multi DVD R/RW with double layer support
Graphics: 14 inch HD LED HP brightview widescreen display 1366 X 768 resolution and intel HD graphics.
Ports: 1 vga, 1 hdmi, 1 stereo headphone out, 1 microphone in, 3 usb 2.0 ports, 1 rj45 ethernet port, 5 in 1 digital media reader
webcam vga
100 mbps ethernet LAN
wireles lan wifi 802.11b/g/n
bluetooth
battery 9 cell
MS office 2010 and Windows 7 professional 64 bit.

Is it a good config for a laptop? Price would be? Which is the best model available?
Thanks.
Old 16th July 2011, 21:52   #3110
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroop View Post
Hello Friends,
My elderly uncle, who is used to a desktop is looking for a replacement. I suggested him a laptop. His requirements are:

1 Reliability - most important
2 Big screen and keyboard
3 good enough for surfing and MS office work

Good to haves:
1 Battery life
2 weight is not important, since it will mostly be used as a desktop
Why are you suggesting a laptop with these requirements?
A desktop is ideal for these requirements. It would be far cheaper than a laptop with the same config. Desktops are far more reliable. Even if you use laptop as a desktop, the battery will conk off after a couple of years unless you remove the battery & keep it separately all the time. The hinges may show problems after some more time.

My last desktop lasted for 7-8 years without too many problems. I stopped using it after that was because after SP2 patch was installed on WinXP, it became a little slow. I could have doubled the memory for a small cost & continued using it, but by then I had a laptop, so I didn't. Otherwise it would have gone fine for a couple of years more. Not too many laptops last long without spending a lot of money on repairs. Desktops are really trouble free, reliable & long last as compared to laptops.
Desktops can be repaired & upgraded with off the shelf parts.

Only reasons to have a laptop
- You want to take it somewhere
- You want to sit at different places (sofa, bed etc) & work.

If these 2 reasons aren't there, it would be silly to buy a laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Guys help me with this. If I have the following configuration:-

[snip/]

Is it a good config for a laptop? Price would be? Which is the best model available?
Thanks.
Look this config - Gateway NV49C Price in India - Gateway NV49 Laptop Prices

I bought this exact thing for 28K few months back.
It's pretty similar to your config.

Last edited by carboy : 16th July 2011 at 21:54.
Old 17th July 2011, 08:32   #3111
BHPian

Hey people just check out at letsbuy.com, the price of laptops are really less than anyone. Had i purchased from them, would have saved 2.5k
Old 17th July 2011, 09:32   #3112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
If you want a legal copy of windows, why not buy a laptop pre-installed with with a licensed copy of Windows. That will always be cheaper than buying a laptop & then separately buying a legal copy of Windows. OEM Windows costs are much cheaper than buying one separately.

Also, if you have legal windows, you can always download Microsoft Security Essentials. That's a free & a good antivirus - only thing is that it works only on legal copies of Windows. But if you use it, you don't have to separately subscribe for Norton or any other paid AV.
Thanks carboy for the suggestions but the HP model I choose does not come with pre installed windows. The dealer was willing to provide me with free windows 7 loaded but not geniune. Hence decided to get the windows pack from outside itself. The windows pack is going to cost me 3200/-.

Also the decision to go for Norton was purely on the fact that the dealer was offering it cheap with the laptop. Normally the pack costs 1200/- in market but I was offered for 850/-. Hence took it.
Old 17th July 2011, 22:06   #3113
Senior - BHPian

i just bought a cheap laptop last weekend. Its an Asus X42Jy.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Notebooks- ASUS X42JY

The config is as follows

Intel Pentium P6200 (i.e. core i3-330m without hyperthreading and vt-x)
2GB DDR3 1066
ATI Mobility Radeon 6470M with dedicated 1GB memory(Clocked at a generous 750MHz/750MHz)
500GB Seagate drive
8x DVD Burner
802.11n wifi/bluetooth/1Gbps networking
6 cell battery
14" LED backlit display
A year's warranty

I immediately added an extra 4GB stick of memory. Including this, I paid a total of 25500 for this machine. The build quality of the laptop is stellar - I used to own a 95k dell xps m1210 and that machine is not a patch compared to this Asus laptop's build quality.

The keyboard and touch pad are incredibly high quality. The touchpad has a slightly textured feel which makes it very nice to use. Internally there are solid copper heatpipes and as a result the machine is super quiet and runs very cool.

Overall a steal for the price paid! All apps run super fast, most games run really smooth at mid quality levels at native resolution. Not sure why this laptop has not sold as much as it should.
Old 19th July 2011, 08:16   #3114
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I am not a big fan of laptops, I prefer desktops.

But now I am shifting to a new office where my desk is very small & due to space limitations, it is not possible to use a desktop there.

So I am considering to buy a budget laptop for my office use ONLY. Any suggestions?

Usage will be fairly basic, as in MS office & internet. No games or high end softwares required to run.

Basically, I am a noob, so please dont ask me technical questions!

* Budget is 30k, plus minus something (i hope that is sufficient)
* I will prefer a bigger screen
* Webcam required, i guess that's standard now!

From this thread, I feel Dell's service is good & HP's is bad.

Also, please do tell me what are the points I should consider while shortlisting & buying a laptop. Maybe some factors like OS, processor, etc.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 19th July 2011 at 08:22.
Old 19th July 2011, 12:17   #3115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
* Budget is 30k, plus minus something (i hope that is sufficient)
* I will prefer a bigger screen
* Webcam required, i guess that's standard now!
For your specs, a Dell Inspiron 15R would cost around Rs.35k for the laptop alone. If you add original MS Office Home & Office edition, the price jumps to 43k. You may skip this if your office can provide you a licensed version of MS Office. If screen size is not a deal breaker, you can go for inspiron 14R (14" screen) for a lower price.

Didn't bother to check other brands, maybe others can help here.

Quote:
Also, please do tell me what are the points I should consider while shortlisting & buying a laptop. Maybe some factors like OS, processor, etc.
IMO, you should consider these factors:
1. Reliability - you don't get to finger the laptop as much as a desktop PC for obvious reasons, so get the most reliable stuff of the lot. Some of the brands, though they may seem to give you a good deal, run into problems soon, and it's a PITA taking the laptop for service and getting it fixed.
I find Dell to be the most reliable, followed by Acer, Lenovo and then HP/Compaq.

2. Specifications of every item inside - Manufacturers have the practice of advertising only the best things, like 4GB RAM, i5 processor, 1GB graphics card, etc etc while keeping you in the dark about other things like the actual speed of the processor (i5 processor comes in different speeds, like a Bus comes with 160hp engine, 180hp engine, or 230hp engine), make of the graphics card (they may have an Intel HD 1GB graphics card but for gaming you would need an Nvidia or ATI Radeon which are superior).

3. If you travel regularly, or you work on the move, then battery backup is a thing to consider with a high priority. Go for a 9-cell battery pack if your budget lets you. It'll set you back by another 2-3k depending on the model

4. Processor - go as high as possible, for the software apps of the future would demand more processing power. But I must also add that if your use is just documentation, or browsing, then a faster and high-end processor is not needed. You are better off using an Intel i3 or perhaps i5 series.

5. OS - Depends on what you want to do with the laptop. If you need only browsing, then don't look at what the vendor offers you - install a Linux flavour - Ubuntu suggested - it comes as a very useful package, complete with Firefox browser, Office suite,EMail client, IM programs, Image editing programs etc which can put to shame all M$ products. If you really need MS Office, then go for Win7 Home premium or above + MS Office Home & Office or above. Never ever trust the MS Office Starter edition that comes pre-installed with some laptops, you never know when it decides to show some stupid message and refuse to save your files, or even corrupt them. My advice - stay away from M$ stuff as much as you can.
Old 19th July 2011, 18:38   #3116
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot silversteed. Thanks for the tips too.

Okay, so the Dell Inspiron is one candidate. Even I wanted to have a Dell, Samsung or Lenovo.

Regarding OS, I am most comfortable with Windows & I think I wont be able to adjust to Linux easily.
Old 20th July 2011, 09:08   #3117
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I have shortlisted the following, unless I am missing out on something -

Lenovo Ideapad Z Series Z570 (59-067847)
• Intel 2nd Generation Core I5
• 3 GB DDR3 RAM
• 15.6 Inch Screen
• Windows 7 home Premium
• HDD – 640 GB
• Webcam – 2 MP
Rs. 37370

I like this but I have read Lenovo's build quality is bad.

Dell Inspiron 15R Ci3/ 3GB/ 320GB/win7 Notebook...
• Intel 2nd Generation Core I3
• 3 GB DDR3 RAM
• 15.6 Inch Screen
• Windows 7 Home Basic
• HDD – 320 GB
• Webcam – 1.3 MP
Rs. 37999

HDD is low & Windows basic (as per silversteed's post) is best avoided.

Acer Aspire 5742G (Corei5 with 1G graphics)
• Intel Core I5
• 3 GB DDR3 RAM
• 15.6 Inch Screen
• Windows 7 Home Premium
• HDD – 500 GB
• Webcam – 1.3 MP
Rs. 35730

Nice specs but is Acer worth a buy?

Sony VAIO E Series VPCEH16EN Notebook (White)
• Intel 2nd Generation Core I3
• 4 GB DDR3 RAM
• 15.5 Inch Screen
• Windows 7 Home Basic
• HDD – 320 GB
• Webcam – 0.3 MP
Rs. 35699

Again, low HDD, bad webcam & Windows Basic, so I am really not interested in this one.

Samsung R Series NP-RC510-S06IN Notebook...
• Intel Core I3
• 3 GB DDR3 RAM
• 15.6 Inch Screen
• Windows 7 Home Premium
• HDD – 500 GB
• Webcam – 0.3 MP
Rs. 37570

Everything is good except the webcam.

* Lenovo offers everything i need but is it a good brand?
* I would have like to buy Dell but HDD is too low.
* Even ACER is good, but Lenovo has an advantage in the processor, HDD & webcam.
* The only advantage Sony has over here is a 4GB RAM, but I guess, for my usage it will hardly matter. Again, Windows Basic, low HDD & bad webcam.
* I really liked the samsung but webcam is pathetic.

Now, I am royally confused!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 20th July 2011 at 09:17.
Old 20th July 2011, 12:51   #3118
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I have shortlisted the following, unless I am missing out on something -

Dell allows you to customize laptop requirements and buy it online
You can bump up the HDD/RAM/add goodies like backlight keyboard etc on the standard configurations they have in case you feel anything falls short of your requirement
The prices are also mentioned

Check their India website
Laptops and Netbooks | Dell India
Old 20th July 2011, 15:05   #3119
BHPian

On last friday me and my Colleague purchased SAMSUNG Laptops.
details :

RV509-A08IN:

Dual Core P6100, 2GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD, 15.6”, DOS, Wi Fi, Bluetooth 3.0,
Camera, DVDRW, HDMI, 1yr Pick up N Drop Warranty, Backpack.

They were delivered to our office @ 21000 each.

The keypad has a number pad and vast palm rest area.
The keypad is spill proof and surround sound quality is amazing to watch movies.

Last edited by rvmohankumar : 20th July 2011 at 15:06.
Old 20th July 2011, 15:51   #3120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have shortlisted the following

Lenovo Ideapad Z Series Z570 (59-067847)
Rs. 37370

Dell Inspiron 15R Ci3/ 3GB/ 320GB/win7 Notebook...
Rs. 37999

Acer Aspire 5742G (Corei5 with 1G graphics)
Rs. 35730

Sony VAIO E Series VPCEH16EN Notebook (White)
Rs. 35699

Samsung R Series NP-RC510-S06IN Notebook...
Rs. 37570

* Lenovo offers everything i need but is it a good brand?
* I would have like to buy Dell but HDD is too low.
* Even ACER is good, but Lenovo has an advantage in the processor, HDD & webcam.
* The only advantage Sony has over here is a 4GB RAM, but I guess, for my usage it will hardly matter. Again, Windows Basic, low HDD & bad webcam.
* I really liked the samsung but webcam is pathetic.
Let me confuse you further:

Lenovo's build quality isn't so bad. I had my doubts when my sister bought one some 6 years ago. It was a high end model then, and cost us 55k. It still survived her abuse (for some unknown reason, every electronic gadget that she buys will go kaput in no time - mobile phone, camera, pen drive). It's alive and kicking even now, albeit a banged up DVD drive, which can easily be replaced.

Dell - the leader, IMO. They charge you a premium but it's worth it. Their service is unmatched.

Acer - I would suggest this one. Has everything you need. And asking around, I found that they aren't so bad.

Sony VAIO - Er... I have my doubts on their build quality. Quite a few of my friends who bought a VAIO got their display adapters/screen/motherboard replaced (any or all of these items) within a couple of months of use.

Samsung - Don't have any info. I didn't like their build quality or the pricing when I saw their laptops for a demo recently. My personal opinion, maybe you should see for yourself.

For Office use, you can go with Home Basic - if your office has a licensed copy, and if it's allowed, you can upgrade to Win7 Professional. Don't let this be a deal breaker.

Same case with the HDD too - if your laptop is purely for office stuff, HDD capacity doesn't matter, unless you have to handle heavy files often, or you plan to make it a media center as well - which I doubt.

Going OT here - When can I see an update in your buses threads?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks