i3
4GB RAM
320GB HDD
Free DOS
WD 500GB Ext.HDD
Price: Rs. 32000

Thanks for the suggestion guys.
No extended warranty?

I got the same spec but with Win & Home Premium + a nice bag for 32500 but a Toshiba.
Old 25th April 2011, 18:19   #3017
BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Toshiba is still a minor laptop player in India. But their products are extremely VFM. I happened to go their stall in a trade exhibition in Mumbai about 2 months back. The laptops looked solid with neat pricing. But I was not sure of their after sales support. I think Dell is better than Toshiba in that repsect. Can any existing Toshiba user shed light on the after sales support of Toshiba. I ask this because even I am looking for a new laptop for my family.
Old 28th April 2011, 13:48   #3018
BANNED

I am looking for a laptop for home use. I don't do any gaming at all. Don't watch streaming stuff either.

I am looking at a Gateway 14 inch NV49 with i3-350M, 3GB, 320GB Win7 Home Premium at 30K from Vijay Sales.

Is this a good deal - how good is Gateway service in India - the sales guy said that Acer takes care of Gateway service in India. Also is Gateway quality as good as Dell Vostro/Inspiron?

Is there any other laptop I should be looking at in the same range? I am ok even if a Core2Duo instead of i3 if it's price is good.
Old 28th April 2011, 15:10   #3019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I am looking for a laptop for home use. I don't do any gaming at all. Don't watch streaming stuff either.

I am looking at a Gateway 14 inch NV49 with i3-350M, 3GB, 320GB Win7 Home Premium at 30K from Vijay Sales.

Is this a good deal - how good is Gateway service in India - the sales guy said that Acer takes care of Gateway service in India. Also is Gateway quality as good as Dell Vostro/Inspiron?

Is there any other laptop I should be looking at in the same range? I am ok even if a Core2Duo instead of i3 if it's price is good.
Get an "old new stock" Lenovo with an international warranty. If you search the online stores you may get an excellent deal on 6-10 month old stock.
Old 28th April 2011, 15:14   #3020
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Get an "old new stock" Lenovo with an international warranty. If you search the online stores you may get an excellent deal on 6-10 month old stock.
Do you know of any reliable online stores?
Old 29th April 2011, 09:44   #3021
BANNED

Quote:

Another question is about the Windows discs. The Vijay Sales guy told me that other Dell, nobody gives a OS disc with the laptop. You can supposed to make your own disc after buying the laptop. Even Dell only gives a recovery disc.

How does this work. Can one make a disc which can be then used to reinstall even if you format the laptop?
Old 29th April 2011, 10:55   #3022
BHPian

Quote:
Another question is about the Windows discs. The Vijay Sales guy told me that other Dell, nobody gives a OS disc with the laptop. You can supposed to make your own disc after buying the laptop. Even Dell only gives a recovery disc.

How does this work. Can one make a disc which can be then used to reinstall even if you format the laptop?
When I got my Dell Inspiron a year back there was a Windows CD provided. Infact I have formatted my laptop with it. Why dont you go to a Dell store in Mumbai and ask them only. There is one at Bandra and one at Vile Parle. This is ofcourse if you are inclined to buy DELL.
Old 1st May 2011, 14:49   #3023
BHPian

Quote:

I went to Croma malad store and checked out the laptops. GATEWAY was giving very good deals. Is there any GATEWAY user who can shed some light on its build and service? None of my friends have ever used GATEWAY so I am in a fix now. I need a laptop around 30k. I have shortlisted two laptops - Dell Inspiron 15 and Acer Aspire.

Also how is the service of Acer? I was told that even they have in home service like Dell. I have used Dell earlier so I know about Dell but I am not sure whether Acer is good or not. The Acer Aspire I am looking is almost perfect for me(even price wise) and only the after sales support is holding me.Please someone tell me how is ACER - as an overall product and its after sales support
Old 1st May 2011, 15:02   #3024
BHPian

^^

Saanil,

I'm not sure about Acer support but I can tell you that Dell provides you onsite Hardware support and most Software issues can be fixed online through remote assistance provided that the system is connecting to the net

Disclaimer - I'm a Dell employee.
Old 1st May 2011, 17:33   #3025
BANNED

Quote:

I ended up buying this laptop - but from Staples & not from Vijay Sales. I got it from 28K. Got a free Gateway bag with it.
Old 1st May 2011, 18:07   #3026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
^^

Saanil,

I'm not sure about Acer support but I can tell you that Dell provides you onsite Hardware support and most Software issues can be fixed online through remote assistance provided that the system is connecting to the net

Disclaimer - I'm a Dell employee.
I know about Dell's support as I own one. I am looking for a laptop for my family. I know about Dell's service and I am quite satisfied with it. But I am looking for other options. GATEWAY was one brand that caught my eye and hence I was enquiring about it.

The sales person said Acer also has onsite warranty. That is why I wanted to know if anyone on this forum has used Acer's warranty
Old 4th May 2011, 15:23   #3027
BHPian

Can any one help suggesting a good computer peripheral shop at Kochi/Cochin? I am looking forward to buy a Laser Printer (prefer HP) for my laptop.
Old 4th May 2011, 15:50   #3028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psvinay View Post
Can any one help suggesting a good computer peripheral shop at Kochi/Cochin? I am looking forward to buy a Laser Printer (prefer HP) for my laptop.
Check out IMC in Ravipuram. IIRC, there are quite a few shops in that area that deal with Computer hardware.
Old 4th May 2011, 18:52   #3029
BHPian

Has anyone bought a Laptop from Lamington Road in Mumbai. Many of my friends buy desktops from there saying that all the latest graphic cards are available at good price. Even the laptop rates were quite cheaper compared to CROMA and Vijay sales. But someone told me that Lamington shops may sell refurbushed laptops to you and should avoid them? Anyone with such experience?
Old 4th May 2011, 20:56   #3030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Has anyone bought a Laptop from Lamington Road in Mumbai. Many of my friends buy desktops from there saying that all the latest graphic cards are available at good price. Even the laptop rates were quite cheaper compared to CROMA and Vijay sales. But someone told me that Lamington shops may sell refurbushed laptops to you and should avoid them? Anyone with such experience?
One of my friends recently brought a IBM laptop from Lamington Road costing 50K aprox. Its a i5 core processor with 4 GB RAm and 500 GB HDD. I feel its a bit costly.

Why not try buying from the manufacturers website directly.? Any one tried that before.?

Most Viewed