Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-199.html)

Which is a good Anti-Virus to buy for personal notebook?
Reasonable pricing would be good.

I have never bought anti-virus, but I remember Quick Heal fixing my laptop when McAfee/Norton/Kaspersky/AVG failed.

Maybe others will have more helpful comments.

PS: I wouldn't recommend McAfee, it is just too intrusive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 2292586)
Which is a good Anti-Virus to buy for personal notebook?
Reasonable pricing would be good.

During my Windows years, I used AVG and it worked really well and moreover it was free. But since the days I started using Linux, I never needed one though.

Go for Avast and Malware bytes combo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by devarshi84 (Post 2292822)
Go for Avast and Malware bytes combo.

How do you rate these against Quick Heal?
Any first hand experiences?

Get MS security essentials. Its free.
Along with that get Avast. its lightweight.

Once a month do manual scan with malware bytes free(full system scan).
You do not need to spend any money.

I need the spare laptop for 3 months. The only thing which will be done on this is browsing and playing flash based games. What's the best option for me?

Is renting cheap - how much will one cost - what other options do I have?
Can I buy some old second laptop cheap?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 2293275)
Get MS security essentials. Its free.
Along with that get Avast. its lightweight.

Once a month do manual scan with malware bytes free(full system scan).
You do not need to spend any money.

Installed Avast today. Essentials, I had already installed. Will check malware bytes. Yes I did not want to choke the system, as the its only a netbook (but still better, as its dual core rather than the single core Atom).

Thanks.

PS: Sorry for posting here. I realized later that there is an thread on Anti-Virus.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 2293417)
Yes I did not want to choke the system, as the its only a netbook (but still better, as its dual core rather than the single core Atom).

Which netbook do you have? How much did you pay for it?
What's a netbook good for? What's it not good for? What OS is it running?

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 2293424)
Which netbook do you have? How much did you pay for it?
What's a netbook good for? What's it not good for?

Following was my thought process:

Essence of netbook:
- Small and Light weight
- Portable
- Mainly used for browsing, chat, mail and other lighter things on the go
- Typical display is 10.1 inch for such netbooks.
- If some one needs a more powerful system, the basic one is one with a 13inch display and i3/i5 or equivalent CPU.
- But I did not want a 13 display, as I was leaning on the lighter side.
- But a 10 inch display is too small and keyboard gets cramped.
- Add to it, ATOM CPU is not that fast, if you needs some amount MS-Office.
- So the best combo is one with a 12 inch display.
- Intel/AMD have products in the ATOM CPU range, but with Dual core now.
- I wanted a 12 inch display machine, which is portable, reasonably large and some what more powerful in performance than the regular ATOM 10 inch netbooks.

Products Availbale:
- Sony VAIO. There is a basic model starting at 27K (11.6 inch display I think).
- Asus EeePC (Starting at 21K)

Asus fit my requirements to a T. The model is 1215T. Dual Core AMD, ATI Graphics, 2GB DDR3, 6Cell Lithium and ASUS mother board (obviously) and Windows 7 Starter.

Its very good, mid level performance, extremely portable, display is ample (12.1 as compared 11.6 of VAIO) and keyboard is not cramped. Battery runs about 4-6 hours depending on the application (though in the 8-10 hour range as of Netbooks)

Specs: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Eee - ASUS Eee PC 1215T

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 2293433)
Products Availbale:
- Sony VAIO. There is a basic model starting at 27K (11.6 inch display I think).

Not sure if it makes sense going for this - for a few thousand more, you can get a proper laptop like a Dell Vostro
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 2293433)
- Asus EeePC (Starting at 21K)

Asus fit my requirements to a T. The model is 1215T. Dual Core AMD, ATI Graphics, 2GB DDR3, 6Cell Lithium and ASUS mother board (obviously) and Windows 7 Starter.

This pricepoint sounds better for a netbook - so what exactly does it lack as compared to a full fledged Windows 7?

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 2293523)
Not sure if it makes sense going for this - for a few thousand more, you can get a proper laptop like a Dell Vostro

I agree, but the difference is in size/weight. That is the only thing you are gaining.

Quote:

This pricepoint sounds better for a netbook - so what exactly does it lack as compared to a full fledged Windows 7?
Quite many things. Many folks suggested change to premium, but I am OK with it. For that difference, I got a 3 year warranty and MS-Office home.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 2293355)
I need the spare laptop for 3 months. The only thing which will be done on this is browsing and playing flash based games. What's the best option for me?

Is renting cheap - how much will one cost - what other options do I have?
Can I buy some old second laptop cheap?

Any opinions on this, anyone?

How much does renting a laptop cost? Any reliable shops which rent out laptops in Mumbai?

install avast, run a boot time scan, you should be good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 2293679)
Any opinions on this, anyone?

How much does renting a laptop cost? Any reliable shops which rent out laptops in Mumbai?

I am not sure even if there are second hand outlets? If you try the electronic mother board shops, where they sell assembled computers, they may have some ideas.