Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-197.html)

I have heard that core 2 duo is better than the latest release Intel core i3 processor. Is this true ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AltoHoncho (Post 2263690)
Bought the Dell Inspiron 15R, 37k all incl... core i3-380M, 320 GB HDD, 3GB RAM, 512MB ATI card. I have taken the 2yr complete cover within the specified price.

Looks decent :thumbs up

Quote:

The sales rep told me that the delivery time will be approx 8 business days... I have no clue about how accurate the delivery is, any inputs?

I'll share my experience with buying an XPS. Placed the order on 4th Nov. I was promised delivery in 10 working days. Got a call on day 5 saying there's a delay of 5 days. Then another one on day 14 asking me to wait for 7 more days. One more call on day 22 (day it was supposed to be delivered) that it's yet to reach their local office. Finally I got it on Dec 2nd.

I was pestering the sales rep all the way since the first call. Each day I would get the same answer, put in a different way. Finally, after the last call informing me about the delay, I called the sales rep and she escalated the matter to her manager who called me up and apologized profusely and said that he'll make sure it gets delivered by Dec 5th.

Believe only what the sales rep says. Do not believe anything told by the "Customer Support" regarding delivery. Some lady in the customer support called me up on day 22 and said it'll be delivered on Dec 20th (imagine, 15 days getting stretched to 47 days!). And funnily, the day after I got my laptop, I got a call from the same Customer support informing that it'll be delivered in 3 working days :uncontrol

I would add that the model that I chose was very very new, and mine was among the first batch of orders, and that's why I had to go through rough weather.

Quote:

Also, I have been told that the complete accidental cover would mean that if there is a breakage which is irrepairable then I would be replaced with a brand new laptop, does that happen in real world (i mean the complete cover like the way they mention)!!!

Batteries hold a warranty of 6 months. Everything else is covered in your plan. It happens in real world.

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeta (Post 2263729)
I have heard that core 2 duo is better than the latest release Intel core i3 processor. Is this true ?

If you consider the latest-yet-unreleased Sandy Bridge Core i3 processors, this statement holds less water than my Razorback's tires :uncontrol

But this is not strictly true for last generation (the ones you'll find in laptops and desktops today) Core i3s. The performances are comparable.

The Clarkdale Review: Intel's Core i5 661, i3 540 & i3 530 - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

As you can see, the Core i3 540 consistently beats Core 2 Duo E8400, which, if I recall correctly, was the top of the line Duo. Even the i3 530 stays ahead of Core 2 Duo in most benchmarks, but the difference is not so significant, and I didn't go through the results thoroughly, but I think there is a benchmark or two, where the Core 2 Duo performs better (Than 530, not 540).

Simply put : i3 is better architecture, so a 3.0 GHz i3 will definitely be better than a 3.0 GHz Core 2 Duo. A lower clocked i3 may perform equivalent to, and poorer than a top of the end Core 2 Duo, but as a rule of thump, i3 is better.

If you're in the market for a new desktop or a laptop, why don't you post the specs of the processors you're comparing ? That way, we could help you compare.

PS : If the i3 you happen to be comparing has 4 digits after i3, as in i3-xxxx, they are beasts. The previous gen dual cores can't stand toe-to-toe against them. They are due to be released shortly, so if you're purchasing, better wait a month. You'll get 30% more processing power for a similar price, or you'll get lower rates for the older gen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay (Post 2263707)
Yes it covers most things except battery. Battery is covered only for first 6 months.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silversteed (Post 2263739)

Batteries hold a warranty of 6 months. Everything else is covered in your plan. It happens in real world.

AFAIK Dell Laptop batteries carry a 1yr Warranty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeta (Post 2263729)

C2D makes a better buy than the current gen I3 if you get a price benefit. Cannot comment on the newer i3 as I have no experience.

More information can be found here.

Notebook Processors - Notebookcheck.net Tech

Quote:

Bought the Dell Inspiron 15R, 37k all incl... core i3-380M, 320 GB HDD, 3GB RAM, 512MB ATI card. I have taken the 2yr complete cover within the specified price. The sales rep told me that the delivery time will be approx 8 business days... I have no clue about how accurate the delivery is, any inputs? Also, I have been told that the complete accidental cover would mean that if there is a breakage which is irrepairable then I would be replaced with a brand new laptop, does that happen in real world (i mean the complete cover like the way they mention)!!!

Did you get any discounts? I tried to configure mine online with the same config last night, but the price comes to 41+. Only addition I did was a 9 cell battery and back cover as Red.

Got my VAIO 3 days back. Its an excellent piece.

DETAILS

Model: Sony Vaio VPCEB36FG

Colour: Black

Series: E

Configuration:

Intel Core i3 -370M Processor 2.40GHz
HD=500GB, Memory=4GB
Windows 7 Home premium(64-bit)
and yes last but not the least its FULL HD with 1920X1080 resolution.

Sony has stopped producing this model. The new model doesnt come with Full HD and is a little expensive. The asked price was Rs. 47000. I got it for Rs. 42500(from a different shop). the buying experience was not entirely a good one. But the laptop is pretty good(keeping my fingers crossed).
The touch pad is a pain I have to agree. Its annoying sensitive. :Frustrati

One more amazing feature which i havent seen any other laptop is that I can use the internet without switching on the operating system and thus the laptop. I just have to press the "WEB" button when my laptop is switched off and a browser automatically opens.

I would be buying Acer 4738 for 31,100Rs and a netbook ( might be another Acer). Anyone got review of 4738?

Any comments on this (unfortunately for US only):

Deals for March 14: HP Core i5/i7 Laptop Edition

a 17.3 inch HP laptop going for $925. Core i7-2630QM 2GHz Quad-core Laptop w/6GB RAM, 750GB HDD, Blu-ray, Radeon HD 6770M & NIS 2011.

Guys, Is there a separate thread for all things related to macbooks, or is this thread all encompassing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by khoj (Post 2278972)
Guys, Is there a separate thread for all things related to macbooks, or is this thread all encompassing?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...pians-mac.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 2278767)
Anyone got review of 4738?

Acer Aspire 5742 And Aspire 4738 Notebooks – Review, Specifications And Price | Review Unit

Acer Aspire 4738Z - Notebookcheck.net External Reviews

Acer Release Acer Aspire 4738 and Acer Aspire 5742 | New Gadget Review

hope this helps

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 2278767)
I would be buying Acer 4738 for 31,100Rs and a netbook ( might be another Acer). Anyone got review of 4738?

What configuration has got it there? I found the same model AS4738 with the following configuration for aprox RS 24,000 here in saudi

Intel core i3 380M 2.53GHZ/320GB HDD/2GB DDR iii Ram/14" LED crystal brite/DVD +/- / Windows Home basic/office starter etc.

sali

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevelle (Post 2279430)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salikt (Post 2279454)
What configuration has got it there? I found the same model AS4738 with the following configuration for aprox RS 24,000 here in saudi

Intel core i3 380M 2.53GHZ/320GB HDD/2GB DDR iii Ram/14" LED crystal brite/DVD +/- / Windows Home basic/office starter etc.

sali

i3 2.4GHz, 2GB DDR3,500GB, rest same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salikt (Post 2279454)

sali

imo, office starter is useless. as good as having no office. Home basic is again the lowest level, most laptops now have atleast home premium. rest is all average. try for i5 or i7. much better though price may go up.