Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-151.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssYouWe (Post 1782847)
How much did you get it for finally?

got it for rs 47030 from sony centre.:)

VPCEB14EN : E Series : VAIO Laptop & Computer : Sony India

Reviews please.
[COLOR=#777]
I am an oxymoron.
I bought one on 6.3.2010. It is really good. No problems so far.
[/COLOR]

I have a 4 year old Dell Inspiron Laptop which is still working very well. I want the dust to be cleaned from inside the laptop, where can I get it done? They should be reliable and do a good job.

How about DIY?

Get a screwdriver set and DIY.

There are plenty of manuals on DIY online. You can check them out and do it yourself. Easy peasy job, believe me!

This is for a friend of mine, he needs something to browse the net, watch movies(no HD stuff, normal torrents or 720p at the most) and a fair bit of programming. He plans to run linux only(arch mostly), going by his usage, should I recommend him a netbook? is it possible to get a netbook with 2GB RAM + 500GB hard disk over the counter? He is ready to spend upto 25-26k, but 20k+ and it will be hard to convince him for a netbook instead of a full fledged laptop.

He tried calling the MSI dealer in Bangalore for CR400x with the C2D t6600 proc, but the dealer said its not available at the moment. Any brand will do.

He is buying it in the next couple of days, so quick responses will be appreciated.

portability/battery is not an issue.

Hi,

I'm planning to get a laptop from the US. Listing down my criteria below:-

1. Core i7 720QM
2. Min 720p screen
3. Will be used primarily for multimedia (including video conversion) and some gaming, so looking for 1GB GPU.
4. Budget approx. USD 1K

I'm considering the following deals:-
Lenovo Ideapad Y550p

ASUS N61JQ-X1
Please let me know if these deals are good or if there are any other laptops I should consider.

Cheers
Wim

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wimwian (Post 1813458)
Please let me know if these deals are good or if there are any other laptops I should consider.

Cheers
Wim

No replies? Don't tell me no one on the forum is tracking the laptop market at present... O Techies, where art thou? :)

^^^ what do you think about the Dell.?

As rightly pointed out by SirAlec, Dell has a good range backed by good support in India along with HP. IMO, its got better support than Asus and lenovo for sure.

I have a Dell Studio XPS 16 laptop with i7 but costs more than $1000, bought here in India. Other options are Dell Studio 15 range which is slightly cheaper, HP Envy and other d series and Asus gaming series, model numbers I am not too sure of.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ho0ligaN (Post 1813113)
This is for a friend of mine, he needs something to browse the net, watch movies(no HD stuff, normal torrents or 720p at the most) and a fair bit of programming. He plans to run linux only(arch mostly), going by his usage, should I recommend him a netbook? is it possible to get a netbook with 2GB RAM + 500GB hard disk over the counter? He is ready to spend upto 25-26k, but 20k+ and it will be hard to convince him for a netbook instead of a full fledged laptop.

Check out the Sony Vaio Netbook - it's got the highest config as of now in the Netbook Market - 250 gigs and 2 gb ram, win 7. 24k or so

I bought a Samsung N210 ( 19k ) a few weeks back and its got 2 gig ram - ok for browsing and watching movies. 2 gigs would be sweet though.

Hi Guys,

I have a Toshiba A200 1AB laptop which I purchased in UK in 2007. Till mid of 2009 it was working fine but suddenly the screen started flickering and eventually the display on the laptop went blank.

I think most probably this could be due to backlight problem. All these days I have been using an external monitor. I hardly take my laptop out hence did not find this as an issue but now it has started to niggle.

I was in touch with toshiba support and they directed me to HCL systems in order to get the laptop repaired, but to my dismay they didn't do it. Could some one from Bangalore let me know where can I get my laptop repaired?

Ho0ligan: 20-21k sounds ok? Check this specComes with just DOS :)

^^^^^

As i have told many times before. Please stay away from Lappy that are AMD based.

If it works for you you are lucky, but if its goes wrong and its out of warranty you will have to throw it away, as the mobo which are either nvidia or Ati based are never available.

Thanks guys!

Does HP have a global warranty? If yes, is the US warranty valid here or do we need to get it transferred after getting the laptop to India?

i need to get myself a laptop ( personally i hate laptops, but I need to get one since I'm joining a B school)

Big question - what screen size? 13", 14" or 15" ? I've used all sizes. 13"ers are great when you need to be on the move, but suck when it com to usage. 15"ers are great for usablity, but their portablity sucks.

This is more a question of what sort of usage would be involved in the average 2 year B school stint?