Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-146.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rr_zen (Post 378954)
Contrary to what you have said, I was told exactly the opposite by DELL Customer Service and remember reading it too somewhere that the Inspirons are the ones that are phased out soon and the Latitude models have a relatively longer tenure before a new model is launched. Though am happy with the Inspiron, I feel that the Latitude looks more professional. This is my personal opinion arising out of my everyday usage of the Latitude at work.

Check this link too, which suggests that if you want performance in the long run, the Latitude is the answer. Why Inspiron notebooks?

+1 to that. I have been using Latitude at work and Inspiron at home and prefer the Latitude for long usage. Inspiron is better for multimedia though. Also, I don't think Inspiron comes with the docking option.

Where can I read reviews of the new Studio 15 with i5 processor?

How good are these i5 processors over the Core2 duo processor?

^^^ i3 , i5 and i7 are the new core processors from Intel. Have to wait and watch about their performance.
i5 review :- http://www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h2095.htm
i7 review found here: http://www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h2139.htm

Bhpians,

Can you suggest me a good laptop under 45.000. I have freezed on the Dell Insprion 15 but it does not come with DDR3. The Studio 14 looks good but after customization, the cost is expensive.

Thanks guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sajands (Post 1685114)
Bhpians,

Can you suggest me a good laptop under 45.000. I have freezed on the Dell Insprion 15 but it does not come with DDR3. The Studio 14 looks good but after customization, the cost is expensive.

Thanks guys.

Are you not able to customise the Inspiron with DDR3 ?

Anyway, you are entitled to a corporate discount from DELL as per the following conditions.

1) If the cost of your Inspiron is > 38000 INR , you get a 3% Discount

2) If the cost of your Studio is > 48000 INR , you get an 5% discount

3) Irrespective of the model, if you purchase a 3 year DELL complete cover package, you get an 8% off on the total price.

There were some offers for new year. Check them out. Also check the Vostro range of Laptops from DELL.

DRIV3R, are these Vostro laptops better than the Studio laptops?

Quote:

Originally Posted by beejay (Post 1685133)
DRIV3R, are these Vostro laptops better than the Studio laptops?

Hi Beejay,

DELL of late, has upgraded the Studio range of laptops. Studio, Inspiron, Studio XPS all are for home and personal use. My roomie has one, and within a month's usage, the right hinge which holds the power button has given way. Flimsy build i would say.

Vostro, on the other hand are business laptops. They have a built-to-last feel, and internally they dont differ much from the personal laptops. Vostros too have slot loading DVD drives, feather touch media controls and the like. While on the other hand, the new Studio doesnt have feather touch buttons for media.

In a nutshell, internal components are all the same,for both and if needed you can customize it the way you want.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRIV3R (Post 1685128)
Are you not able to customise the Inspiron with DDR3 ?

Anyway, you are entitled to a corporate discount from DELL as per the following conditions.

1) If the cost of your Inspiron is > 38000 INR , you get a 3% Discount

2) If the cost of your Studio is > 48000 INR , you get an 5% discount

3) Irrespective of the model, if you purchase a 3 year DELL complete cover package, you get an 8% off on the total price.

There were some offers for new year. Check them out. Also check the Vostro range of Laptops from DELL.

Hi DRIV3R,

Thanks for the update,

There is no option of DDR3 for Insprion series. DDR3 is only available for XPS and Studio.

The new offers include a free backpack with insprion 15, backlite keyboard for the insprion.

Will check on the discounts part.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRIV3R (Post 1685143)
Hi Beejay,

DELL of late, has upgraded the Studio range of laptops. Studio, Inspiron, Studio XPS all are for home and personal use. My roomie has one, and within a month's usage, the right hinge which holds the power button has given way. Flimsy build i would say.

Vostro, on the other hand are business laptops. They have a built-to-last feel, and internally they dont differ much from the personal laptops. Vostros too have slot loading DVD drives, feather touch media controls and the like. While on the other hand, the new Studio doesnt have feather touch buttons for media.

In a nutshell, internal components are all the same,for both and if needed you can customize it the way you want.

Thanks DRIV3R, I am picking up a STUDIO15 with i5 processor for 52K. Guess these Vostro must be more expensive. I am okay with the build, the only thing which worries me is how good these new processors are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildon (Post 1684991)
^^^ i3 , i5 and i7 are the new core processors from Intel. Have to wait and watch about their performance.
i5 review :- Intel Core i5 750 review - IT Reviews
i7 review found here: Intel Core i7 860 review - IT Reviews

Thanks for the good link. As you said, I need to wait and see how good these processors are. Was thinking on booking this Monday. Will just buy as its kind of urgent.

Got a new Dell Studio XPS 16 laptop with i7 processor. Its one day old, so still trying everything out by installing applications and stuff. In terms of build quality, its next only to Latitude range, which is terrific imo. For the price, it comes with aluminum trims, magnesium alloy casing etc, along with amazing screen. Issues though are it overheats a bit and the plastic trims are a finger print magnet. It costed me Rs. 70k but now prices have increased to 75k for my config. As of now, I am happy with the purchase, hope it continues in the long run too.

Check out the Sony Vaio VGN-NW13GH/T or NW23NE/B- available at Croma for about 36k. Both very feature loaded and look great too.

Can someone suggest what would be the best buy for Rs 50000?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvldvr (Post 1688850)
Can someone suggest what would be the best buy for Rs 50000?

Do you have any preference for brands? Like DELL,Sony,Lenovo,Acer,HP/Compaq?

Dont want to go for acer/lenovo. Of sony, Dell and HP, which one do you recommend? And what configuration? The usage will be just regular, and no specific requirements like gaming / graphics etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvldvr (Post 1690052)
Dont want to go for acer/lenovo. Of sony, Dell and HP, which one do you recommend? And what configuration? The usage will be just regular, and no specific requirements like gaming / graphics etc.

This is something that I have shortlisted and my use is the same as yours

Studio15 with i5 processor.
3GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB HD with 7200rpm, 512 MB dedicated graphic card for gaming, 2.53 GHZ, 3MB cache memory, DVD writer, 2MP camera, 15.6 LED screen, wifi bluetooth and with home premium.

Price:50,777