Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-142.html)

Lol!

Samsung, LG etc are all good for refrigerators and TVs. They aren't OEMs for Laptops and their laptops will invariably suck.

Strongly advise against such companies.

Look at the Inspiron 13z and 14z.

MSI is a great company with no support. Same goes for Asus. If you aren't a hardcore techy, you would be better off with a company offering decent A.S.S.

Sony etc are just style statements. Macs have their own legion of fans. I am not one though! Might be coz I can't afford one. :D
But they are good products in their own right... albeit a bit overpriced.

All the best with the search!

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssYouWe (Post 1633184)
Lol!

Samsung, LG etc are all good for refrigerators and TVs. They aren't OEMs for Laptops and their laptops will invariably suck.

Look at the Inspiron 13z and 14z.

MSI is a great company with no support. Same goes for Asus. If you aren't a hardcore techy, you would be better off with a company offering decent A.S.S.

Sony etc are just style statements. Macs have their own legion of fans. I am not one though! Might be coz I can't afford one. :D
But they are good products in their own right... albeit a bit overpriced.

All the best with the search!

Samsung produces Memory and hard disks for computers and its a pioneer in memory industry. I agree Sony laptops are just for style statements, Asus and MSI for technocrats. Acer is a good laptop in India.

What memory!?

Afaik Samsung does not produce any memory modules. I might be ignorant here!

Are you talking about the semiconductor company under the Samsung umbrella?

@ Essyouwe: I have been a satisfied owner of Samsung laptop for past 5 years. Now I think your sweeping statement/prejudice is not justified. The laptop were first in the world to bring about true bright technology for the best TFTs. Also HP and Dell at that time still used the age old LCDs that were no match. Thereafter Sony-Samsung and later LG-Philips started made it volume business.

Samsung conglomerate has numerous companies and each excelling in its domain. Yes, they make RAM too. Samsung is a well recognized PC maker in US and SE Asia.

@funda2max: Again I use a 4 year old VAIO, more than the style statement it is a wonder of tech. While Apple themselves complimented VAIO for the design and robustness. Currently if you want a home entertainment PC with blueray capabilities, Sony is the leader and VFM. Others do not even have that option.

IBM left great many innovations that Lenevo did not utilize right, HP/Dell and now Acer/Asus are mass market products that are compromised to suit all.

Being a hardcore techie and a car freak, I can tell you its not always the higher spec car that wins.

There are always thought leaders and there are posers. And so there will always be patrons for the former.

P.S. I am a tech turned Organic farmer so I am not associated with any brand. My objective is that people who seek right information should get it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssYouWe (Post 1633184)
Lol!

Samsung is one of the few companies which make lot of computer hardware components like memory units, HDD, DVD drives, TFT, LCD, battery units etc. They also contract manufacture laptops & Destops for OEM’s etc.

Most of the PC manufactures like HP, Dell procure hardware components from Samsung.

Samsung is a considered as a good brand in US and European markets and its products sells at a premium. So don’t go by prejudice, use and experience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sn1p3r (Post 1633903)
@ Essyouwe: I have been a satisfied owner of Samsung laptop for past 5 years. Now I think your sweeping statement/prejudice is not justified. The laptop were first in the world to bring about true bright technology for the best TFTs. Also HP and Dell at that time still used the age old LCDs that were no match. Thereafter Sony-Samsung and later LG-Philips started made it volume business.

Samsung conglomerate has numerous companies and each excelling in its domain. Yes, they make RAM too. Samsung is a well recognized PC maker in US and SE Asia.

TruBrite is Toshiba's technology.

PS:I am not saying Samsung sucks or something. Just that MSI and Asus are OEMs and therefore a much better option.

Quote:

@funda2max: Again I use a 4 year old VAIO, more than the style statement it is a wonder of tech. While Apple themselves complimented VAIO for the design and robustness. Currently if you want a home entertainment PC with blueray capabilities, Sony is the leader and VFM. Others do not even have that option.

What makes it a wonder? I would love to know how it is technologically superior to other products in the market. Has Sony started offering quantum computing on its laptops now?

When you get a laptop with a T4200 as a processor for 60,000 rupees... It is really hard to see it as VFM.

Quote:

HP/Dell and now Acer/Asus are mass market products that are compromised to suit all.

Sony and Samsung cater to a niche market which desires products that look 'hot'? I agree... No compromises on that front.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tj123 (Post 1633939)
They also contract manufacture laptops & Destops for OEM’s etc.

I think you meant VARs.

Quote:

Most of the PC manufactures like HP, Dell procure hardware components from Samsung.

Samsung is a considered as a good brand in US and European markets and its products sells at a premium. So don’t go by prejudice, use and experience.

Samsung provides viewing solutions and HDDs. Not the computing heart. Just because a brand commands a premium does not mean the products are the best (Honda Jazz :P).

These days no machine is bad. They are all pretty good, but IMHO some brands are better deals than others.

Quote:

Samsung is one of the few companies which make lot of computer hardware components like memory units, HDD, DVD drives, TFT, LCD, battery units etc. They also contract manufacture laptops & Destops for OEM’s etc.

Ahem!

Samsung is like the baap of electronic companies. They make almost everything in the electronic component chain.

Their products are good; right from their washing machines(me a user), fridge, cell phones(wife a user) HDD(user), memory(user).

The interesting thing about the company is that while you may know it as SAMSUNG, their products are all managed as separate business companies. So if the laptop guy wants panels, they have to buy like other buyers from their own panel vending company! Amazing when you think of their business layouts.

For the gent, who was clearly ignorant, perhaps a search on their website and wikipedia might deliver him from his current state:D

You are using Samsung memory chips? I remember them coming out with 40 nm ones. Never got around to getting hold of some performance figures. Please share if you know them.

Where did you procure the memory from?

PS: The ignorant gent never denied Samsung's competence in general electronics. Talking specifically of laptops, I consider brands manufacturing their own motherboards etc as superior. So lets keep ourselves to laptops.

Samsung does makes Memory modules. It's even the default manufacturer for Sony, Acer & toshiba ( under RAM section ) .

40nm memory modules does not represent a class of product, its a technological enhancement under chip building technology. It does not represent speed or some major upgrade in terms of performance, its just about smaller and better designed & envoirment friendly.

Essyouwee : getting Samsung memory memory could be a hard job as its not a retail product. whosoever sells it, does that taking it from OEM bundles.

So you might wanna get a samsung make memory or a chipset memory module from a equally good company like Transcend, Kingston, OCZ or Corsair.

Might want to enlighten me with which Laptop companies manufacture their own motherboard ( in Laptops ? ) , if you are talking about ASUS or MSI - they dont

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssYouWe (Post 1635211)
You are using Samsung memory chips? I remember them coming out with 40 nm ones. Never got around to getting hold of some performance figures. Please share if you know them.

Where did you procure the memory from?

PS: The ignorant gent never denied Samsung's competence in general electronics. Talking specifically of laptops, I consider brands manufacturing their own motherboards etc as superior. So lets keep ourselves to laptops.

In todays times, none of the company manufacturer its own mobo in case of laptop. Small company like shiba, china are outsourced for the job.

sorry to play spoilsport here guys but;

those of who are using or recomending mac - arent the a.s.s cost sky high.

a colleague of mine uses mac pro and he mentioned that the keys (of keyboard) cost him Rs.3000/- each to be replaced....

is that possible...that's insane :(

@Saildrive: Used Mac for about 3years before I tried Sony. I did not have to go see the support once. I can not comment on the same.

@Essyouwe: Bro, the way it sounded was you took them to cleaners ;)

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by shan2129 (Post 1635285)
Might want to enlighten me with which Laptop companies manufacture their own motherboard ( in Laptops ? ) , if you are talking about ASUS or MSI - they dont

Oh snap! I have been pwned. :D

I just searched around and couldn't find a company manufacturing mobos for their own laptops. My bad.
I tried to extrapolate the desktop mobo manufacturing process.

Sorry!

Croma is offering a Lenovo Ideapad S10-2 netbook with six-cell battery for Rs 17,990, with a Tata Photon Plus thrown in for free. How good is the deal for someone who basically edits docs and presentations and surfs the Web, and is not into high-end graphics and movie-watching?

Hmmm...

I think it sells for 350$ or 400$ outside, so 17990 is a good price in India. Plus the Photon is good. So yeah all in all looks like a good deal.

Just see if you are comfortable with a 10" screen for browsing etc.