Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-141.html)

It's not really a bulk deal as yet. Just getting 4 laptops to start with.

Planning to get this through a friend from US, what do you guys think?

Dell - Studio Laptop with Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor - Midnight Blue - S1555-2817MBU

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight Rider (Post 1626867)
Planning to get this through a friend from US, what do you guys think?

Dell - Studio Laptop with Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor - Midnight Blue - S1555-2817MBU

Its a very good deal. But you better hurry up though, its no longer available for shipping and is sold out where I live.

My friend is planning to buy a laptop. He's got two options with the exact same specs except for the graphics card.

Sony Vaio FW590-----C2D P8700, 320GB 7200 HDD, 4 GB ram,16.4" screen, Win7 home

But the graphics card memory is different,ie, one has a HD4650 512mb DDR3 and the other a HD4650 1GB DDR3.

The difference in price is 5k. So what do you guys say should he pay the xtra for the 1GB graphics card or will the 512mb suffice for gaming.

Quote:

Originally Posted by funda2max (Post 1613488)
Deal I got from SP road
Acer Aspire 14.1", C2D 2.2 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, Bluetooth, Webcam, card reader, etc... for 29K (without OS)
Compaq presario - 14.1" same as above - for 31K (without OS)

@funda2max: I am looking at something similar. To be precise Acer Aspire 5738 with 15.6" screen. The quote i got from Acer mall is 33k without OS. That too 3 GB RAM and 320 GB hard disk.

Your deal is a drool. Can you PM me the details of the shop in SP road. Thank you in advance.

@harishnair: Go in for the higher spec card 5k is ok for that.

If it matters to anyone.

I was looking for a new PC for my wife. She heads a niche HR+IT company and thus PC was what she wanted to replace her 5 year grey haired dying old Samsung laptop.

Wink wink, I converted her to a Macbook Pro 13 inch.

I found out it to be the most balanced PC yes Apple is the new benchmark PC available.

I am a huge VAIO fan but this time even on that front Mac is a better deal.

Do not go by the specs, the bottomline is laptop should should perform optimally.

Converted a PC lover to 15inch Mac last year now he preaches to choir.

I will let you know if Mac is ordered after she take a Mac for a test-ride today.

Caveat: Go test the config before you buy.

I still use a 4 year old VAIO TX1HP 1.1Ghz ULV processor with 1.5GB Ram and 60GB HDD and I find it apt to surf T-BHP

Its a relief to see this thread. I am a newbie when it comes to laptops.

I need to purchase a decent laptop. Budget 40K. Primarily for internet usage. Should have a good graphic card. What would be my options?

It would be great if the gurus are able to list the model number.

Basic requirement would be speed and good graphic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by beejay (Post 1629795)
Its a relief to see this thread. I am a newbie when it comes to laptops.

I need to purchase a decent laptop. Budget 40K. Primarily for internet usage. Should have a good graphic card. What would be my options?

It would be great if the gurus are able to list the model number.

Basic requirement would be speed and good graphic.

Just increase you budget a little bit and go for Dell Studio(if you want GFX) OR buy a Dell Inspiron 15.

My query:
Need to present a netbook/notbook to my dad. His usage is going to be internet browsing and managing documents only.

Is an Asus EEE PC a better choice compared to HP mini and other Acer minis? - EEE PCs seem to have around 10.5 hours (adevertised) battery backup and compact size would be great for mobility (while we talk about netbooks).

Not thinking much aobut notebooks since he is not going to use applications where bigger screen will be required. Price will be another reason since I'm not going to buy a cheaper one with celeron and less RAM if I go with the Notebook. So, I thought to start looking at a good NetBook. I read EEE PC (1.6GHz) comes with Windows 7 Starter and can be upgraded to 2GB RAM if required, but I read better comments compared to HP and Acer minis and hence considering ASUS.
your inputs welcome!

Guys I am using Compaq presario B1800 for four years, its light weight 1.6 kgs and one off the lightest available for Rs. 60000 at that time.
Now I want to change this for new one but again light one with at least 13" screen.
Kindly suggest some good machine.
My basic need is office work and photography. Need light for travelling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksons (Post 1630835)
Guys I am using Compaq presario B1800 for four years, its light weight 1.6 kgs and one off the lightest available for Rs. 60000 at that time.
Now I want to change this for new one but again light one with at least 13" screen.

Have you considered the MacBook Air?

I will, thanks, do you know the cost ?

Quote:

Check out the latest MSI (Micro Star International) notebooks at in.msi.com. I recently purchased the MSI wind U210 netbook for only Rs.23000 for my dad. Great one. There is option of an inbuilt 3G modem also along with draft-n wifi. Latest tech at cool prices. For the high end check out their Quad core processor laptops.

Quote:

I would recommend Macbook pro (INR 64k) or macbook (<INR 60k) - note with Student ID ;)

If Mac does not help you then Sony Vaio series or Dell Inspiron is good. I do not like HP/Compaq/Acer the config and quality is not good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopz (Post 1630841)
Have you considered the MacBook Air?

I do not think Air is a good option as its processor and lack of ports will be a problem for him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrohit17 (Post 1631198)
Check out the latest MSI (Micro Star International) notebooks at in.msi.com. I recently purchased the MSI wind U210 netbook for only Rs.23000 for my dad. Great one. There is option of an inbuilt 3G modem also along with draft-n wifi. Latest tech at cool prices. For the high end check out their Quad core processor laptops.

I would recommend Samsung series netbook.

ASUS > Sony W > Samsung > LG/Lenevo/MSI/Acer

But I got a really awesome deal including DVD burner etc. so I bought Samsung. Got it for 20k but it was almost 8 months ago.

Guys, I bought one for my sales person and he is thrilled with the performance, even in office he loves to work on the small machine.

For Dads, Moms and little ones - Netbook is great but remember to buy them a monitor so that they dont tire their eyes.

Thanks to all for great advises, I will search for MSI and Samsung, sony is bit expensive even though I will give it a chance.
I like LG with additional screen on top for Email checks but they are little heavy.