Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-139.html)

Thanks for your input guys, I am looking for an all rounder, key being I want the number pad and a large screen. Also if not the Gateway, what should I keep the search parameters.

Post edited by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT use more than 2 smilies per post.

We advise you to visit our board rules section before proceeding any further.

When I wanted to purchase a laptop 2 years back, I looked at all the options possible and though Sony was priced higher than it's competition, I decided to go for it just for the brand value.

Now, 2 years later, this is the condition of the laptop :

1-> 1 Key missing, just broke off on fine morning.

2-> Metal finish getting rusted, Sony guys say that this is due to Mumbai weather which makes us sweat more.

3-> Hinges holding the screen about to break, Sony says it will have to replace the whole top panel (incl. the LCD screen though it isn't damaged) and has quoted 20k for it) :deadhorse

Just checked with a computer shop nearby, they said hinges will be replaced for 5k. Should I get it replaced and forget taking to court or drag Sony to the consumer court for giving such a bad product.

It's surprising that this is the only Sony product giving me sleepless nights, almost all my gadgets (camera, lcd tv, home theater, mobile) is of Sony. Please help me what I need to do please:

To be honest, all sound like wear and tear to me. Proving it otherwise is not going to be easy.

And remember if you fail, sony will come after you for damages to the brand name. Any company will do so. You need to prove that this was/is not the wear and tear and its not easy to do so when it comes to laptops.

1) Sony products are generally durable, but for laptops, I have seen that durability is not very good as compared to other products.

2) There is one term in warranty called " Normal wear and tear ". Sony will easily prove that the problems you are having is due to normal wear and tear.

3) To be very frank, this does look like normal wear and tear. What you are trying to prove is that Sony laptop that you have is not durable, which it is certainly not. But there is no way you can fight agianst this. You will spend more time and money than 5K.

One thing that dazzles me is hinge. This piece wont give trouble fast enough.

At the end of the day, IMHO, court is loss of money and time. Dont opt for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prateekm (Post 1591633)

When I wanted to purchase a laptop 2 years back, I looked at all the options possible and though Sony was priced higher than it's competition, I decided to go for it just for the brand value.

Now, 2 years later, this is the condition of the laptop :

1-> 1 Key missing, just broke off on fine morning.

2-> Metal finish getting rusted, Sony guys say that this is due to Mumbai weather which makes us sweat more.

3-> Hinges holding the screen about to break, Sony says it will have to replace the whole top panel (incl. the LCD screen though it isn't damaged) and has quoted 20k for it) :deadhorse

Just checked with a computer shop nearby, they said hinges will be replaced for 5k. Should I get it replaced and forget taking to court or drag Sony to the consumer court for giving such a bad product.

It's surprising that this is the only Sony product giving me sleepless nights, almost all my gadgets (camera, lcd tv, home theater, mobile) is of Sony. Please help me what I need to do please:

2 years on, here is the condition of my Dell Vostro 1500. Its quite similar to yours

left hinge has broken. need too replace. just like yours
6-cell battery doesn't last more than 30 mins
the screen is very loose since a year, like a harmonium.
speakers are tinny.
dell original adapter was replaced twice during warranty. last one had its wires ripped and doesn't work anymore.

i guess, this depends on how we use our laptop. its regular wear and tear as it_inspector said.

even with the condition of laptop i have, i am pretty satisfied with the build quality of dell. it has gone through a lot and the way i use it, this things were expected(not with battery and adapter though). but now that i have bought a sony and spend close to 700 bucks i am now being careful in using it.

so, my suggestion would be to get the hinge replace for low price from computer shop and also find a replacement key or keyboard.
none of the parts in my laptop is metal externally apart from screws which are rusted. i won't hold DELL responsible for this. similarly i won't for sure say that because of Sony's quality the metal part is rusted.

also a request prateek, could you inquire with your computer shop guy what will be the cost to replace similar hinge for Dell Vostro 1500. That's bcos i am planning a visit to India. May as well bring it there and get it repaired. Thanks

and after 2 years, if you have no warranty, i hardly doubt consumer court will be helpful in getting you a decision.

just my opinion.

Laptops hardly survive for more than 2 years.

My sincere suggestion would be to go buy a new one.

Hi Guys,
I am a problem with my HP DV5- 1002au.
Its an AMD processor.

The only reason i had bought this was that its having 256MB Video card in it.
and had 2GB RAM which i upgraded to 4GB after buying it.

The problem i face with this laptop is it shuts Down sometimes.
sometimes it will run for the entire day without shutdown but some times it will shutdown 5-6 times a day.

I had reinstalled the OS thinking it might be due to a virus of some kind.
But it didnt help.

I notice that the Laptop get heated and shuts down.
have taken to service center 5 times and they only say no problem faced by them.

This Laptop had spent more then 2 months in the first 6 months of purchase...
Had esclated the matter to many people but still no goo...

And other issue i started seeing is that when i am transfering huge data from my pendrive to laptop or laptop to pendrive... it will shutdown.

I am not actually sure what could be the problem but what i did is when it shuts down i noticed that the RAM is HOT... i mean it gets REALY HOT...

so i tried it wil only 1 ram then the other one... still its having the same issue...

Please help me...

one more AMD woes. people just don't listen.

If its under warranty get it serviced. If not will advice next what to do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulfikar (Post 1599101)
Hi Guys,
I am a problem with my HP DV5- 1002au.
Its an AMD processor.

The only reason i had bought this was that its having 256MB Video card in it.
and had 2GB RAM which i upgraded to 4GB after buying it.

The problem i face with this laptop is it shuts Down sometimes.
sometimes it will run for the entire day without shutdown but some times it will shutdown 5-6 times a day.

I had reinstalled the OS thinking it might be due to a virus of some kind.
But it didnt help.

I notice that the Laptop get heated and shuts down.
have taken to service center 5 times and they only say no problem faced by them.

This Laptop had spent more then 2 months in the first 6 months of purchase...
Had esclated the matter to many people but still no goo...

And other issue i started seeing is that when i am transfering huge data from my pendrive to laptop or laptop to pendrive... it will shutdown.

I am not actually sure what could be the problem but what i did is when it shuts down i noticed that the RAM is HOT... i mean it gets REALY HOT...

so i tried it wil only 1 ram then the other one... still its having the same issue...

Please help me...

The DV5 isn't famous for its heat sink. The problem you are facing is with the heating. Nothing is wrong with the OS.

I am not sure if it is an exclusively AMD related problem. The problem is most probably due to a poor heat sink. Easiest solution would be to invest in a cooling pad.
Keep your laptop on a flat surface for the time being.

I have a problem with my HP Pavilion DV6 laptop.

Without inserting a disc, i double clicked mistakenly the drive icon and since then a dialogue box continously pops up with title "DVDAgent.exe-No Disk"

Message is : There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive\device\harddisk2\DR2

With Cancel/Try Again/Continue options

I tried restarting the lappy a couple of times but this pop up dialogue box wont go away. :Frustrati

What do i do stop this annoying dialogue pop up?

This is usually a Media Center error.

Update your media center from the HP website.

What OS are you running?

Okay guys!

I just saw the Nokia Booklet 3G on their website.

Here's the link : Nokia Europe - Nokia Booklet 3G - Specifications

Could any of you guys in Europe or the US find out the pricing?

If its around 30k, this would be a decent deal.

Any DELL guys here. Looking to buy 2 nos of DELL Studio XPS 16 laptops with the Core I7 processors. Price quoted is 70k+ if i buy it from them.

Any employees here who can sweeten the deal. Immediate cash transfer. Ready to pay 1.2 lakhs for 2 nos. for the base configuration. Need to give them as gifts to cousins who are twins LOL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 1599798)
Without inserting a disc, i double clicked mistakenly the drive icon and since then a dialogue box continously pops up with title "DVDAgent.exe-No Disk"

Message is : There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive\device\harddisk2\DR2

With Cancel/Try Again/Continue options

I tried restarting the lappy a couple of times but this pop up dialogue box wont go away. :Frustrati

What do i do stop this annoying dialogue pop up?

Try one simple trick!
Put any disk in it and then click Try again option.See if it works:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfire (Post 1601908)
Any DELL guys here. Looking to buy 2 nos of DELL Studio XPS 16 laptops with the Core I7 processors. Price quoted is 70k+ if i buy it from them.

Any employees here who can sweeten the deal. Immediate cash transfer. Ready to pay 1.2 lakhs for 2 nos. for the base configuration. Need to give them as gifts to cousins who are twins LOL.

What was the final price they quoted?

IIRC employees are entitled to two purchases at 40% off every year.

Hope you know how hot the XPS 16 gets!

Still, its a great great deal.

PS: We are brothers right? How about one for me too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssYouWe (Post 1602948)
What was the final price they quoted?

IIRC employees are entitled to two purchases at 40% off every year.

Hope you know how hot the XPS 16 gets!

Still, its a great great deal.

PS: We are brothers right? How about one for me too!

3 purchases actually every year is what I came to know.... I am not sure if its 40% off. Much less than that is what i feel.