Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-133.html)

Im having problems with the battery of my Dell Inspiron 1525. It is almost two years old and hence out of warranty. I called up Dell customer care and after 40 mins, the guy who spoke started forcing me to buy 9 cell battery for 7K. I said I want 6 cell battery which is 4K but he said it is out of stock and he kept avoiding queries on 6 cell battery.

Anybody has suggestion where to buy a Dell Laptop Battery? Is is advisable to buy one in SP Road (those who dont know, SP road is similar to Lamington Road)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tj123 (Post 1515433)
Usually HP's , Lenovo's & Dell are in the assembling game and source parts from contract manufactures. No wonder there products are turning out to lemons in the long run.

Lets get this straight. Every one in the computer industry is an assembler. No one manufactures entire computer/laptop from scratch. You will always have components from parts manufacturers like Intel, AMD (CPUs), nVidia (graphix cards), Samsung, Phillips(capacitors, hard disks) so on and so forth. The difference comes in how well they match these components to get you the correct balance and provide an assurance which is technically called warranty.

In fact that is true for almost all the stuff today. Anyone thinks that the cars including all its parts are manufactured by respective brands??

I think Apple is the only company that designs hardware as well as software to match as best as they can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopz (Post 1516062)
I think Apple is the only company that designs hardware as well as software to match as best as they can.

Nope, not really. May be their contribution to their products is a tad more as compared to other brands but they still depend on Intel (for CPU, it was motorola till a while ago), nVidia (graphix cards) and other brands for Hard Disks etc. What Apple does is basically, a strong control over hardware. As per the EULA in the Apple OSes, you are not allowed to install them in other hardware (read PC). And they have taken steps to ensure that it is very difficult(if not impossible) to install in your own hardware.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tj123 (Post 1515433)
Usually HP's , Lenovo's & Dell are in the assembling game and source parts from contract manufactures. No wonder there products are turning out to lemons in the long run.

My office laptop a Dell had its optical drive, keyboard, motherboard replaced under warranty:eek:. After this experience I don't trust these brands any more.
I prefer a Samsung/LG /Sony for computers and peripherals.

It simply must be a bad item or usage pattern that got these many components failure.

I have heard and experienced that HP, DELL, Lenovo are the best among notebook mfg. dont know about other electronics items. Sony is nice to have but no VFM at all.

the other three brand we are talking about is the only few people would suggest when you want a decent notebook.

I have used HP/Compaq for 3 years and using Lenovo for close to a year now, mine is the heavy usage (almost always on situation) but I have not seen those many parts failing with these brands.

Others can share their experience.

Just picked up this machine. Noticed it does not have a back-lit keyboard. Hope it is not a bug. Can someone confirm this?
-BJ

check your invoice. If it does not say 'backlit keyboard', chances are it was not supposed to be. You can call up Dell Customer care to confirm the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpyder (Post 1515921)
Lets get this straight. Every one in the computer industry is an assembler. No one manufactures entire computer/laptop from scratch. You will always have components from parts manufacturers like Intel, AMD (CPUs), nVidia (graphix cards), Samsung, Phillips(capacitors, hard disks) so on and so forth. The difference comes in how well they match these components to get you the correct balance and provide an assurance which is technically called warranty.

In fact that is true for almost all the stuff today. Anyone thinks that the cars including all its parts are manufactured by respective brands??

Assembling game is an under statement the so called the HP's, Lenovo's etc don't even assemble component. The product is manufactured by contract manufactures all these companies do is just brand products with a strong marketing campaign. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by tj123 (Post 1516938)
Assembling game is an under statement the so called the HP's, Lenovo's etc don't even assemble component. The product is manufactured by contract manufactures all these companies do is just brand products with a strong marketing campaign. :D

A true statement. That is exactly what I tried to say in my earlier post on this very thread.

I had a question about my desktop ( I didn't see a thread dedicated to desktops, hence my question being posted here).

I have a Dell Dimension 2350 desktop,and recently changed the hard drive on it.After reformatting the drive, the system was up and running. However I noticed a minor problem with the speakers/drivers associated with the sound output.

When I play a CD, the sound is absolutely ok and there's no issues. But when I try to play something from the internet, I see the video but no audio.

Is there some setting I need to change? Also, I don't see the speaker icon on the taskbar next to the date/day display. I don't see any (!) or (X) indications on the device manager settings, next to the Audio codecs.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with the system? I have Real Player installed on the comp, thought I need to check if I have Windows Media player.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketan (Post 1516124)
It simply must be a bad item or usage pattern that got these many components failure.

I have used HP/Compaq for 3 years and using Lenovo for close to a year now, mine is the heavy usage (almost always on situation) but I have not seen those many parts failing with these brands.

Others can share their experience.

I agree. My first laptop was a Compaq bought in 2002 and it worked fine till 2007, then i sold it. Not a single problem except the battery wouldn't hold charge. Bought a second Compaq in 2007 and its working fine till now (i sold it few months ago but in touch with that particular piece). Right now have a Dell and it's been only a few months with this laptop so too early to comment about reliability, but so far so good.

Eventhough the Compaqs dint give me any issues i noticed that the 2002 Compaq was much much more solidly built than the 2007 Compaq.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashwinsid (Post 1515801)
Im having problems with the battery of my Dell Inspiron 1525. It is almost two years old and hence out of warranty. I called up Dell customer care and after 40 mins, the guy who spoke started forcing me to buy 9 cell battery for 7K. I said I want 6 cell battery which is 4K but he said it is out of stock and he kept avoiding queries on 6 cell battery.

Anybody has suggestion where to buy a Dell Laptop Battery? Is is advisable to buy one in SP Road (those who dont know, SP road is similar to Lamington Road)

I suggest you get in touch with an independent laptop repair/service center and ask them if they can provide you with a replacement battery. I doubt if they can get you OE piece but you may get some good quality thirdparty make batteries. There are so many Laptop repair/service centers in Blore.

A friend wanted to get a battery for his Vaio, which is a few years old, the original Sony batt was quoted at 8k. He bought a thirdparty battery for 3.5k, it gives a backup of upto 3.5 to 4 hours under nominal usage. It's been almost an year with this battery and it's looking good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitin (Post 1517546)
I had a question about my desktop ( I didn't see a thread dedicated to desktops, hence my question being posted here).

I have a Dell Dimension 2350 desktop,and recently changed the hard drive on it.After reformatting the drive, the system was up and running. However I noticed a minor problem with the speakers/drivers associated with the sound output.

When I play a CD, the sound is absolutely ok and there's no issues. But when I try to play something from the internet, I see the video but no audio.

Is there some setting I need to change? Also, I don't see the speaker icon on the taskbar next to the date/day display. I don't see any (!) or (X) indications on the device manager settings, next to the Audio codecs.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with the system? I have Real Player installed on the comp, thought I need to check if I have Windows Media player.

Looks like you do not have the mp3 codec installed after reformatting/reinstalling. Google up K-lite codec pack (free stuff) and install it. That should fix the problem and you should be able to play a lot many other formats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitin (Post 1517546)

Free-Codecs.com : Download K-Lite Codec Pack 5.1.0 FULL, K-Lite Codec Pack 5.1.0 STANDARD, K-Lite Codec Pack 5.1.0 BASIC : K-Lite Codec Pack is a collection of codecs and related tools

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirAlec (Post 1517801)

I usually use the VLC player and do away with loading lot of codec packs:)

Guys,

This may sound to be the most stupid problem i believe anyone as ever faced. I use a OEM netbook i bought from China 2 months ago. The netbook is working super excellent. No heating issues, no freezing. In short its working very very normal.

Last week wifey gifted me a ipod touch. excellent gadget. I downloaded the most recent version of iTunes as suggested. Once the download was complete i restarted the system and then connected my iTouch and it gave me a error stating "THIS VERSION OF iTUNES CANNOT RECOGNIZE THIS IPHONE OR IPOD TOUCH".

Fine. Then i removed all iTunes and quick player as suggested by a friend and ran my anti virus scan and re booted the netbook. Then i re installed iTunes and its necessary components. Now the fun begins.

As soon as i connect my iTouch, NOTHING HAPPENS. No charging, No detection. Nothing at all. infact it stops the internet on my netbook. The wifi simply stops. The only way to recover is to restart.

I tried searching for this issue everywhere, but no help. Hoping someone here could help me sort this issue. :deadhorse