Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2006, 11:45   #166
Team-BHP Support

Yup, its a special offer. I guess this is because R52 is the new thing now, so the less powerful models go as special offers? with cars were sold this way. "Swift launched, Wagon R at 40% discount "
Old 3rd January 2006, 11:56   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
I guess this is because R52 is the new thing now, so the less powerful models go as special offers?
Look again - the special offers page also contains special offers on R52.....@ just 10k more than R51
Old 3rd January 2006, 12:00   #168
cnu
BHPian

But these special offers were upto Dec 31st only as per the website. Are they still valid ?
Old 3rd January 2006, 12:10   #169
BHPian

guys,
lenovo's 3 yr warranty is a limited warranty. which means u pay for parts for the 2nd and 3rd year.
but the laptops are great. i picked up a t52 for my bro - top of theline. the build quality is great and looks sleek too. have also ordered a few desktops for work and they are just fantastic for their price.

warrantywise, u cant beat Dell. they have a complete cover program, which replaces anything for free. even if u drop the laptop and break the screen. i had a dell latitude earlier and the hard disk crashed at the end of 3 years and they replaced it for free, no questions asked.

i use a toshiba s100 now. its just fantastic. top of the line specs and just 2.0 kilos. the only problem is that the palm rests below the keyboard, tend to heat up abnormally when working in non-airconditioned rooms.
Old 3rd January 2006, 14:03   #170
BHPian

A friend of mine recent bought a toshiba m55 with 1gig ram, dvd writer, wide screen, media centre bla bla bla

Came to 1000 odd $. He got it from www.circuitcity.com

If you know some one coming down from the US, get it from circuitcity. You get mail in rebates close to 300$. Nice bargain, but there might be problems with your warranty though...
Old 3rd January 2006, 14:03   #171
Team-BHP Support

Hey, talking about deals on laptops I just recieved a mailer from DELL. Inspiron range of laptops are being offered right from 38k+. And that includes wide screen, DVD/CD-RW combo, Wireless lan and even Windows XP!!! I think this is one heck of an offer guys...
Old 3rd January 2006, 14:06   #172
BHPian

Hey Dippy just got hold of a site http://www.braintoneinfo.com its an Indian Site complete with laptops configs and price...they have Laptops of all ranges ... Infact you can visit them @ their shop too its at lamington road ...Probably they could personalise your laptop too!!
Old 3rd January 2006, 14:23   #173
Team-BHP Support

Toshiba actually has the best deals when it comes to laptops. When I pick up a laptop Its gonna be 64bit AMD toshiba/Acer or ASUS(if they come to india in big way!).
Old 3rd January 2006, 22:06   #174
Senior - BHPian

Guys

A thought just crossed my mind. Is a centrino necessary for me since as I mentioned before I wont doing any heavy stuf on my lappie. I ill just be using it for my writing work and transferring pics to the laptop. Graphic use will be very little.

Can I make do with a celeron or P4 config. I may get one for a less price with all the goodies . Wil i get wireless in a celeron too?
Old 3rd January 2006, 22:10   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy
Guys

A thought just crossed my mind. Is a centrino necessary for me since as I mentioned before I wont doing any heavy stuf on my lappie. I ill just be using it for my writing work and transferring pics to the laptop. Graphic use will be very little.

Can I make do with a celeron or P4 config. I may get one for a less price with all the goodies . Wil i get wireless in a celeron too?
celerons are good enough for document work infact its ideal..and wireless is standard almost in all laptops built in 2005 ..
Old 3rd January 2006, 22:20   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy
Guys

Go for a celeron if your using your laptop as a desktop replacement only cos celeron gives **** battery life nd gets heated nd is a lot heavier then centrino. dont fall for any of the offers ur getting on celerons. i did and although my laptops good enough for woodprocessing nd all its just not really a laptop cos its not as portable as the ones with centrino.and yes you can get wirelss on a celeron either inbuilt or an external wireless card
Old 3rd January 2006, 22:21   #177
Senior - BHPian

Turbo I somehow havent found a single celeron config laptop. Do you know of any ?

Khanak I am not replacing my desktop with it. I buying it in addition to my existing computer because I now need a laptop to take places for my journo assignments

Do Celerons heat really quick?

Last edited by Dippy : 3rd January 2006 at 22:23.
Old 3rd January 2006, 22:32   #178
Team-BHP Support

Well dippy you can have a wireless in any laptop, just need a wireless slot and a PCMCIA card.
As for celerons heating, in IBM(lenvo notebooks) it should not be an issue. Pentium Ms run cooler.
I suggest you look at the "Ultra-portable" range on lenovo website with celeron processors.
There are lots of them there! Infact the 30K laptops have celerons, Pentum 4/M ones are the higher end ones.
Old 3rd January 2006, 22:41   #179
Senior - BHPian

Thanks tsk man this is becoming quite a task for me. Sorry for asking too many question but need all the help I can get

If wireless is available on celerons why isnt it mentioned in the specs on the levono website?
Old 3rd January 2006, 22:53   #180
Team-BHP Support

Dunno . Actually wireless has nothing to do with processor. ITs all marketing nonsense about wireless-processor bull*** etc.,

The processors job, is to process instructions. They can be for your video needs in case you do not have a graphics card/your OS etc., etc., .

Coming back to the point
I think you need a laptop computer which has the following features
3-3.5 hours battery backup
Good for text processing
CD writing/DVD reading
Internet access through wireless

Right?
For that purpose
http://www-604.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/st...56&langId=356#

You will see R51. Now it costs 33000 without wireless and 44000 with wireless.
But wireless cards can be bought for less than 2000rs. So you dont need to buy their wireless enabled thingi. Just purchase an wireless card and use it in the slot provided. Its like using a USB Key drive.

Infact if you want 80GB, get a 40GB version(cheap) and buy a 40GB external USB drive. Will fit in your laptop bag without issues!

Also any particular reason for not ACER? For low end needs its the best bet with cheapest parts. About quality I am not too sure but its usually the cheapst laptops.

Coming back to your IBM R51, go for without wireless and buy a 2K wireless card

MY personal choice for your application would be the 29990 Aspire 1362 i
Cheap, amazing performance

Read this guys review. He got it for 40K, but now prices have dropped
http://spo0nman.blogspot.com/2005/02...62-review.html
Just add a wireless card as he did.

Moreover Sempron is much better than centrino

Last edited by tsk1979 : 3rd January 2006 at 23:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks