Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2009, 18:59   #1696
Senior - BHPian

I bought a Studio 14 last month as well. As Harsh said you can get it with pretty much the same config as a 15. Question is, what screen size do you want? A 15 makes it a bigger machine and less portable. Frankly if I were you and wanted a 15 incher then I'd save some money and buy the Inspiron 15.

Last edited by StarScream : 2nd April 2009 at 19:00.
Old 6th April 2009, 18:00   #1697

Thanks Harry and StartScream, I booked studio 14. The intial confusion was that i was trying for P8600 processor but it is not available in studio 14.

But please let me know does this laptop has any heating issues.

Thanks
Abdul
Old 6th April 2009, 19:24   #1698
Senior - BHPian

I cleaned my 6 year old dell inspiron

I cleaned my 6 year old dell inspiron because it was running it's fan at high speed all the time. look what I found!

a blanket of dust!
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-dscn7695.jpg
the vent
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-dscn7694.jpg
the fan
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-dscn7697.jpg
i had to reopen it once since display went blank the first time i started it. the cable going thru the keyboard was loose.

Why can't they have a one screw opening for this. I had to open the whole thing including keyboard and LCD panel. I had attempted it twice earlier and failed .
Old 6th April 2009, 21:53   #1699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Why can't they have a one screw opening for this. ..... I had attempted it twice earlier and failed .
LOL, that's why I have just been blowing air from the vac in blower mode into the air outlet ports of my VAIO laptop. Does the job. In a city like Delhi that's commendable!
Old 7th April 2009, 17:13   #1700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftrazak View Post
Thanks Harry and StartScream, I booked studio 14. The intial confusion was that i was trying for P8600 processor but it is not available in studio 14.

Thanks
Abdul
You are welcome Abdul.
It gets a bit heated if you use continously 3-4 hours time period which i normally do. But i guess thats the case with most laptops.
Also its much better than Sony Vaio which i had earlier in terms of battery life and heating issue. Sony's battery backup and life is pathetic and gets heated in an hour.
Old 7th April 2009, 21:40   #1701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
It gets a bit heated if you use continously 3-4 hours time period which i normally do. But i guess thats the case with most laptops.
Hey, I've left my VAIO running for upto two days, doing video conversions at near 100% processor usage!
Old 8th April 2009, 09:49   #1702
Senior - BHPian

I have left my compaq R4000 running for days at a strecth. All laptops get heated. What about it?

Mine's a socket 939 AMD cpu just for inormation sake.
Old 8th April 2009, 12:31   #1703
BHPian

Any suggestions for a laptop around 40K for business use and basic surfing ? Business use would be basically MS Office, adobe reader and coreldraw.

Also, whats the basic diff between inspiron and studio ?
Old 8th April 2009, 15:26   #1704
BHPian

Dektop

Hello all, Appreciate if you suggest any good home desktop, I'm keen towards DELL Inspiron, appreciate your thoughts on this.

Uses only to
1) Internet
2) Videos & games
3) Offline work @ home - All basics though

It should be Low Budget one

Thanks,
Nitin
Old 8th April 2009, 15:28   #1705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftrazak View Post

Thanks
Abdul
You're welcome Abdul. Yes the processor range is very limited with the Studio 14 but for general use you can't tell the difference- I've used it for video editing without a problem.

As far as heating goes, mine got hot while charging the battery first couple of times. It settled down after that and runs at acceptable temperature.

Some things that I have noticed about it compared with Thinkpads used by my office - the keyboard flexes if you press it down and the touch pad buttons are very flimsy - these don't make a big difference during use, it just feels delicate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_horizon View Post
Any suggestions for a laptop around 40K for business use and basic surfing ? Business use would be basically MS Office, adobe reader and coreldraw.

Also, whats the basic diff between inspiron and studio ?
Try the Thinkpad or Dell Vostro range. They are built a little sturdier for business use and ship with Vista Business. The Thinkpads come with 3-year warranty as standard. I almost bought a Thinkpad before buying my Studio 14. The reasons I chose Dell were - I needed it for home use and not business, Dell's sales experience is a lot better, I was getting higher specs, I wanted a 14" screen and most Thinkpads had a 15" screen, and for the same amount of money as a Thinkpad or Sony Vaio (CR/CS series??) I got the Dell with 2-year comrehensive warranty that even covers accidental damage.

Differences between the Inspiron and Studio as far as I know are - Inspiron is a little cheaper being their entry-level range. Studio fits between Inspiron and XPS. The Studio is a little more designer looking with a wedge profile and screen hinges that have been borrowed from the XPS range. Specs-wise I think the Inspiron and Studio are very similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn12 View Post
Hello all, Appreciate if you suggest any good home desktop, I'm keen towards DELL Inspiron, appreciate your thoughts on this.

Uses only to
1) Internet
2) Videos & games
3) Offline work @ home - All basics though

It should be Low Budget one

Thanks,
Nitin
I think the Inspiron desktop is a good choice. For games just make sure you get it with a dedicated graphics card. I personally am very impressed with Dell sales and service support.

Last edited by StarScream : 8th April 2009 at 15:39.
Old 9th April 2009, 18:38   #1706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
I think the Inspiron desktop is a good choice. For games just make sure you get it with a dedicated graphics card. I personally am very impressed with Dell sales and service support.
Thanks Starscream, looks like I would finalize that, unless i get a fantastic quote from somebody else
Old 9th April 2009, 22:43   #1707

Hi,

I have recived the dell studio 14 laptop today but it is faulty one

When I came from my office today unpacked it and try to start the laptop but it throwed the error "No hard disk found". I am confused what might be the problem. As it is already past 6:00pm didn't tried to reach customer care.

Can you please tell me what are the possible things which i can do now?

1. Already mailed the sales person regarding this.
2. I am very much disappointed with this and i said them to cancel the deal and return back the money.

Do I get a fresh piece again from dell??

Thanks and Regards,

Abdul
Old 10th April 2009, 01:49   #1708
Senior - BHPian

Thats sad to know Abdul, but dont worry. Just call the Dell guys and they will replace it for you.
Old 10th April 2009, 07:16   #1709
Senior - BHPian

Woah! That is bad, Razak!

Yes, you have two options - either return the piece and get a full refund or ask for a replacement. Both are within your right and Dell does do so.

You need to decide if you still want to give Dell your business or just treat this as a one off case (which might be just the case). Maybe the hard-disk is just not properly connected!

And their technical support is 24x7, you should have just called. The numbers will be in the mail you got post purchase.
Old 10th April 2009, 18:38   #1710
BHPian

whats the best configuration to get for a laptop at a max price of 50k??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks