Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2014, 00:47   #961
BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

People looking for good range can consider using the TPLink 4300. ( http://www.tp-link.in/products/detai...del=TL-WDR4300 )

Available across sites for 5k approx, it has a good range as compared to several others that I tried out such as Asus RT 56U and Netgear models in a similar price range, and supports DD WRT.

Further, this was a replacement for a older dying Buffalo WHR HP G300N which was well known for its high range, and served me for almost 4 years.
Old 23rd October 2014, 09:16   #962
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
I am currently using a netgear N150 wifi router since 4 years or so. it has started troubling me and I also wanted more range. So picked a NEtgear JNR 6150 dual band gigabit router. I must say, This router has the worst wifi range in its class. I was expecting it to be good but its worse than my N150. Trying to return the item back to amazon.

I am now eyeing on the netgear night hawk R7000. Any reviews on that?
Dual band means 2.4GHz and 5GHz. The 5GHz gets you better speeds but range is lesser than the 2.4GHz mode. If you run the router in 2.4GHz mode, you will see better range.
Old 23rd October 2014, 18:38   #963
Senior - BHPian

Had the TP LINK 4300 but for some reason the range was not that good. Changed it to WDR3600 and strangely the range was far superior. Using the 5ghz band does make a difference with far less interference compared to the 2.4
Old 24th October 2014, 11:26   #964
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
People looking for good range can consider using the TPLink 4300. ( http://www.tp-link.in/products/detai...del=TL-WDR4300 )

Available across sites for 5k approx, it has a good range as compared to several others that I tried out such as Asus RT 56U and Netgear models in a similar price range, and supports DD WRT.
Not bad. I am looking at changing my old Linksys WRT120N to get better range. Right now i can only keep my modem and router in the bedroom at far end of my flat. The other end of the house where living, dining and kitchen are, suffer huge signal loss.

I initially thought of changing to a simple TP-LINK with 5Dbi antenna but am not confident this will increase the range significantly.

I then saw the Asus RT-N66u which looked insane but I don't think I need a router costing Rs.11K!!

I am now looking at TP-LINK WR841HP http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/d...del=TL-WR841HP

This is long range model.

Any other suggestions? I am not looking at repeater since I use it for facetime a lot and don't want my speed to drop.
Old 27th October 2014, 10:51   #965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Not bad. I am looking at changing my old Linksys WRT120N to get better range. Right now i can only keep my modem and router in the bedroom at far end of my flat. The other end of the house where living, dining and kitchen are, suffer huge signal loss.

I initially thought of changing to a simple TP-LINK with 5Dbi antenna but am not confident this will increase the range significantly.

I then saw the Asus RT-N66u which looked insane but I don't think I need a router costing Rs.11K!!

I am now looking at TP-LINK WR841HP http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/d...del=TL-WR841HP

This is long range model.

Any other suggestions? I am not looking at repeater since I use it for facetime a lot and don't want my speed to drop.
This is decent, if it is what your budget limits you to. You should get acceptable range as well looking at the specifications. Hope you have seen online reviews as well on Amazon etc.

Remember that 300 Mbps is theoretical figure, in reality you cannot get over 100 Mbps as there are no gigabit ports to service the 300 Mb bandwidth on the LAN side.
Old 27th October 2014, 13:02   #966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Dual band means 2.4GHz and 5GHz. The 5GHz gets you better speeds but range is lesser than the 2.4GHz mode. If you run the router in 2.4GHz mode, you will see better range.
There is another practical aspect of 5 GHz if you live in an apartment or in densely populated city you will find more then 90% of neighbours have 2.5 GHz routers and all the channels are congested so effective range reduces due to interference with 5GHZ band router you can stand out in crowd and get much better range in practice.
Old 28th October 2014, 14:29   #967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
There is another practical aspect of 5 GHz if you live in an apartment or in densely populated city you will find more then 90% of neighbours have 2.5 GHz routers and all the channels are congested so effective range reduces due to interference with 5GHZ band router you can stand out in crowd and get much better range in practice.
But 5GHZ is not good in penetrating through concrete walls and doors.
So unless your router and you are in the same room, might not be such a great idea. Added to this many old laptops cannot connect to a 5GHZ network.
Old 28th October 2014, 21:38   #968
BHPian

I recently changed few wifi modem router setting because I was facing slow speeds on my iPhone (laptop, android devices fine):
- changed from WEP to WPA2-PSK
- changed 'user defined dns server' to Google DNS from MTNL DNS.

Although the devices are working fine for the time being. Evening came home and connected but nothing was opening. Re-booted the modem and worked fine. Again got home at night and connected and same problem; re-boot and worked fine. Any idea why it just doesn't work when in range and connected?
Old 3rd November 2014, 09:07   #969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanomics View Post
I recently changed few wifi modem router setting because I was facing slow speeds on my iPhone (laptop, android devices fine):
- changed from WEP to WPA2-PSK
- changed 'user defined dns server' to Google DNS from MTNL DNS.

Although the devices are working fine for the time being. Evening came home and connected but nothing was opening. Re-booted the modem and worked fine. Again got home at night and connected and same problem; re-boot and worked fine. Any idea why it just doesn't work when in range and connected?
BUMP!

Anybody has any clues on my above problem?!

After testing for few days on WPA2-PSK, changed back to WEP. I think the problem sorted itself now. WiFi gets connected and working without rebooting the modem.

So was the encryption standard doing this? Why?

Any does WEP vs. WPA2-PSK effect browsing speed in any way?
Old 3rd November 2014, 09:43   #970
BHPian

Quote:
BUMP!

Any does WEP vs. WPA2-PSK effect browsing speed in any way?
I doubt the encryption plays a role in the speed of browsing. I've used both those encryptions with the same connection to no difference in speed. Since you have MTNL, I'd blame it on the service itself. I have BSNL broadband at my house, and I have endured many a similar experience. Everything seems to with fine and dandy for weeks together and suddenly it doesn't work for a few hours at a time or have terrible speeds. The familiar restarting of the modem fixes it usually.

The slow speeds could also depend on the time of day. Do you use the landline telephone a lot? The internet at my house stops working when someone is using the phone. It is down to a compatible modem that allows calling and broadband to work simultaneously.
Old 3rd November 2014, 10:12   #971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswaroop View Post
I doubt the encryption plays a role in the speed of browsing. I've used both those encryptions with the same connection to no difference in speed. Since you have MTNL, I'd blame it on the service itself. I have BSNL broadband at my house, and I have endured many a similar experience. Everything seems to with fine and dandy for weeks together and suddenly it doesn't work for a few hours at a time or have terrible speeds. The familiar restarting of the modem fixes it usually.

The slow speeds could also depend on the time of day. Do you use the landline telephone a lot? The internet at my house stops working when someone is using the phone. It is down to a compatible modem that allows calling and broadband to work simultaneously.
I understand what you're saying, but that is not the problem right now.

There are 2 android devices, 2 iOS devices, and one laptop using this connection. So usually what happens is that when I get home, my iOS device though connects to the WiFI, but does not open anything; the android devices, and other iOS devices, which were sitting at home, or got home early than me, working! So i'm only left with an option to re-boot the modem.

Now this problem isn't restricted to my iOS device, sometimes the android devices also face a similar issue. But all this started after I changed from WEP to WPA2-PSK! And I changed to WPA2 bcos new iOS 8 was giving trouble and people had suggested to switch to WPA2.

It looked more like an IP conflict issue, but I checked under modem setting that unique IPs were alloted to all these devices.
Old 3rd November 2014, 12:24   #972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But all this started after I changed from WEP to WPA2-PSK! And I changed to WPA2 bcos new iOS 8 was giving trouble and people had suggested to switch to WPA2.
WEP is extremely poor encryption and can be broken quite easily.
It looks like your router is quite old and cannot handle the additional load due to WPA.
Old 3rd November 2014, 12:28   #973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After testing for few days on WPA2-PSK, changed back to WEP. I think the problem sorted itself now. WiFi gets connected and working without rebooting the modem.
WPA2 is more demanding on router as compared to WEP. Which router are you using?

Your router might be getting overwhelmed with 5 - 6 devices if it is old or otherwise under-specced.
Old 3rd November 2014, 12:36   #974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
WEP is extremely poor encryption and can be broken quite easily.
It looks like your router is quite old and cannot handle the additional load due to WPA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
WPA2 is more demanding on router as compared to WEP. Which router are you using?

Your router might be getting overwhelmed with 5 - 6 devices if it is old or otherwise under-specced.
It's Beetel 450TC1 provided by MTNL.

so it doesnt take the load of 4-5 devices on WPA, but is able to on WEP, you mean? Hmm, ok.

So just adding a new WiFi router, to the existing WiFi modem, could solve the issue?
Old 3rd November 2014, 13:46   #975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So just adding a new WiFi router, to the existing WiFi modem, could solve the issue?
Yes, just to be sure that it is indeed an issue with router's capacity, you can try these steps:

1. Reset existing router + modem to factory settings
2. Configure MTNL ADSL + WiFi
3. See if this helps

I not, you can either purchase a new WiFi router and disable WiFi in Beetel OR you can purchase a new WiFi + router combo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks