Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2014, 17:42   #946
Distinguished - BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
+1 to @ranjitnair77 - Try to test the Signal for at least 24 hours or least for couple of hours, at the place where you're going to use it max. Airtel 4G is Good, but not trustworthy. The Speed fluctuates to the extremes.

Both Huawei or ZTE Routers are OK, but don't go for Beetel, which is a Single Band Router.
Have been using the Airtel 4G router for 3 weeks and very happy with the service. Speeds are good and constant.
Old 12th October 2014, 17:57   #947

I've always believed in going all-out for routers as they connect all of my devices, so I currently have the Asus RT-AC87U and the Netgear R700 Nighthawk. Got both for great deals, so I figured I'd get them anyway and see what's what. You wouldn't honestly need an AC1900 router unless you have eight to ten devices connected (which I do), and for mist users, a router like the Netgear R6250 will suffice.
Old 13th October 2014, 15:48   #948
BHPian

How to check if a router would work with my MTNL Broadband connection?

Want to know specifically this model: Cisco Linksys E900 Wireless-N300 Router
Old 13th October 2014, 16:36   #949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanomics View Post
In Navi Mumbai I have a MTNL connection and recently got a DLink 2750u for Rs. 2040/- from Flipkart. Setting up was a bit of a drag, more so since both my wife and especially I are rather technophobic.

Once set up it has been performing really well for the past month. It links up to 2 laptops, my BB and my wife's Galaxy Note, simultaneously and without any problem.

We did a signal test and at the farthest point in our house from the router, with 4 walls and two wooden cupboards in between, the signal strength was hovering between 20%-30%.

Hope this helps!!

Last edited by PGNarain : 13th October 2014 at 16:38.
Old 13th October 2014, 16:46   #950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
In Navi Mumbai I have a MTNL connection and recently got a DLink 2750u for Rs. 2040/- from Flipkart. Setting up was a bit of a drag, more so since both my wife and especially I are rather technophobic.

Once set up it has been performing really well for the past month. It links up to 2 laptops, my BB and my wife's Galaxy Note, simultaneously and without any problem.

We did a signal test and at the farthest point in our house from the router, with 4 walls and two wooden cupboards in between, the signal strength was hovering between 20%-30%.

Hope this helps!!
Thanks for your reply. Even I dont have much knowledge about routers per se. Your router name states "ADSL" in it, confirming that it should work with MTNL/BSNL based network. I'm a bit wary that the one I mentioned does/does not work with ADSL connections.

So looking for more replies!
Old 13th October 2014, 16:48   #951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since this is a WiFi router without ADSL, it should work with pretty much any ISP that provides a modem.
Old 13th October 2014, 20:12   #952
BHPian

Quote:

1. Check if there is a modem list available online that lists compatibility with MTNL. Generally it will be available.

2. You will need a device which is essentially known as an ADSL Modem cum Wireless Router. Make is immaterial, the tech should be modem+router.

3. 10 years or so ago, we used to get only modems. Later on, people purchased *only* routers to enable WiFi on those modems. Then you had combos coming in that did both the tasks using one device (ADSL Modem+Router). This is essentially what you need.

4. The device that you have mentioned; is it an ADSL MODEM+ROUTER or *only* a ROUTER? You need the former.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 13th October 2014 at 20:13.
Old 14th October 2014, 04:54   #953
BHPian

I am currently using a netgear N150 wifi router since 4 years or so. it has started troubling me and I also wanted more range. So picked a NEtgear JNR 6150 dual band gigabit router. I must say, This router has the worst wifi range in its class. I was expecting it to be good but its worse than my N150. Trying to return the item back to amazon.

I am now eyeing on the netgear night hawk R7000. Any reviews on that?
Old 14th October 2014, 09:34   #954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Since this is a WiFi router without ADSL, it should work with pretty much any ISP that provides a modem.
Not sure again what you meant. What I have right now by MTNL is a Beetel 450TC1 Wifi Modem, which takes the phone line as an input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
1. Check if there is a modem list available online that lists compatibility with MTNL. Generally it will be available.

2. You will need a device which is essentially known as an ADSL Modem cum Wireless Router. Make is immaterial, the tech should be modem+router.

3. 10 years or so ago, we used to get only modems. Later on, people purchased *only* routers to enable WiFi on those modems. Then you had combos coming in that did both the tasks using one device (ADSL Modem+Router). This is essentially what you need.

4. The device that you have mentioned; is it an ADSL MODEM+ROUTER or *only* a ROUTER? You need the former.
1. Yes, a small list of 5-6 modem's, this one doesn't feature there.

2. The product description says "Wireless without Modem". Full description here.

3. Guess what I have currently from MTNL right now is this? It's a Beetel 450TC1 Wifi Modem, which takes the phone line as an input.

4. Point no. 2.

You understand me right! So pls if you could have a look at the product description once and let me know what use can I put this new modem to. Can it replace the existing one, or needs to be used with the existing one?

Thanks!
Old 14th October 2014, 09:56   #955
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Not sure again what you meant. What I have right now by MTNL is a Beetel 450TC1 Wifi Modem, which takes the phone line as an input.

--------snip---------g one?

Thanks!
You need a router with modem. Basically, anything you buy needs to accept that phone line.
You can get any modem plus router, and configure it with MTnl. This same router, i used when I switched to Reliance. So buy any that suits you.
But I sense that you've already got the router,and it doesn't have a phone input. You can connect the patch cord to your old modem, beetel one, and use the new router.
Old 14th October 2014, 10:03   #956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
But I sense that you've already got the router,and it doesn't have a phone input. You can connect the patch cord to your old modem, beetel one, and use the new router.
So connect old with new using that bigger-than-phoneline Ethernet cord?
And would that in any way help me improve speed/connectivity?
Old 14th October 2014, 10:06   #957
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

So connect old with new using that bigger-than-phoneline Ethernet cord?
And would that in any way help me improve speed/connectivity?
Yeah.
You may have better Wi-Fi range, but speed will not change.
Old 14th October 2014, 10:09   #958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Yeah.
You may have better Wi-Fi range, but speed will not change.
I already have a repeater device, so if i want to increase range, putting that to use is the same thing right?
Old 14th October 2014, 19:21   #959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I was abt to cancel this if the shipping didnt happen by today. But, morning it was shipped, so no plans if cancel. BTW, how long did it work for you?
It worked for about an year and have just found out they have 3 years warranty but getting it replaced you have to send it to Mumbai or to the nearest dealer outlet. I was informed that it was out of stock. Being 5 days without internet has cost me more than the cost of the router. I had to buy airtel 3g package.
Old 14th October 2014, 20:58   #960
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I already have a repeater device, so if i want to increase range, putting that to use is the same thing right?
Yeah. I do believe that is what it will also be accomplishing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks