Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2024, 20:05   #2731
BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

That is what I am planning. Let us see how this pans out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livelyyoungman View Post
Once ASUS always ASUS. I don't think there is a replacement at all considering the fact that you can install Merlin and customize it to the way you want. Added the devices are sturdy and last really long. Invest today and next 10 years you will not need any upgrade.

I have a Netgear R7000 model which I updated with Merlin firmware RT-AC68U and have got a AX11000 recently. I have a Home Mesh setup with the two connected using wires and I find no dead spots at all.

My suggestion would be to get an high end ASUS and update it to Merlin. Then you can establish a Mesh at home using the old and new router.
venkat_partha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2024, 10:37   #2732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post

I would suggest to avoid giving same username/password with out having a mesh routers because it can be very confusing and hard to switch networks if required. Consider you are walking up from ground floor to 1st floor and your phone gets connected to the ground floor router. As you go to first floor, it will stay connected to the ground floor router unless the signal strength becomes too low. So when in 1st floor, the phone will still be connected to the ground floor router and it's even hard to recognise this situation because the router names are same.

However, if using a mesh routers (I don't have much experience) but I believe the mesh routers fix this not only by having the same names but also by actively switching the device to the router that has the best signal strength. I don't know how they do it though.
You can have all the routers with same ssid, encryption and password with which you can have clients roam freely (fast roaming) without connection drop across your home/floors. I'm doing this at my home with basic routers flashed with openwrt. Also, having 2.4ghz and 5ghz with same SSID on openwrt will help clients steer from 2.4ghz to 5ghz and back to 5ghz depending on how close you are to the router.

In the below screenshot, you can see, I was moving from one Access Point (AP) to another without drop and latency increase (From 5ghz to 2.4ghz on one ap and then 2.4ghz of another AP
Attached Thumbnails
On Wi-Fi & Routers-screenshot_20240621093634.png  

Last edited by atulsian : 21st June 2024 at 10:44.
atulsian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2024, 23:15   #2733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulsian View Post

In the below screenshot, you can see, I was moving from one Access Point (AP) to another without drop and latency increase (From 5ghz to 2.4ghz on one ap and then 2.4ghz of another AP
Good to see another fellow OPNsense user. What access points are you using for your network?
Old 22nd June 2024, 08:33   #2734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post
Good to see another fellow OPNsense user. What access points are you using for your network?
Same here

Xiaomi ax3000t and Linksys e8450. Both running openwrt snapshot version. Earlier it was Xiaomi 4a gigabit edition. This is temporary, once I've my home ready, I'll be moving to ceiling mounted APs again with openwrt flashed.

Your setup?

Last edited by atulsian : 22nd June 2024 at 08:35.
atulsian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2024, 00:33   #2735
BHPian

Quote:
Same here

Xiaomi ax3000t and Linksys e8450. Both running openwrt snapshot version. Earlier it was Xiaomi 4a gigabit edition. This is temporary, once I've my home ready, I'll be moving to ceiling mounted APs again with openwrt flashed.

Your setup?
Pre owned Dell Optiplex i5, 16GB RAM, SSD running OPNsense
A PoE switch and 4 ruckus access points
The Optiplex is running Proxmox, so TrueNAS is running on the same PC
lxskllr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2024, 16:35   #2736
Senior - BHPian

I purchased one Access Point. This is their international model, hopefully the signal issue will be sorted.
Quote:
Also, please note you need a router which has access point option. If otherwise, you will have double nat which will slow the down the internet.
Attached Thumbnails
On Wi-Fi & Routers-img_9136.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2024, 15:45   #2737
BHPian

Guys, I am confused between TP-Link AX 73 and AX 72 PRO (new launch). The plain AX 72 would be a good bargain, but not able to find it on both Amazon and Flipkart. In the mix, for similar price I can also see a Mercusys MR90X and a mesh Halo 80X 2 pack. I have a 300Mbps internet connection, but am able to use the 5ghz in the room where the router (TP-link C6) is present. I have a second 2.4Ghz router (Tenda) for the bedroom. The issue is that i only get ~80 Mbps through out the house on either of the routers and also a hassle every time I go into the bedroom, as the phones still cling on the far away C6's 2.4Ghz network. I am hoping the more powerful AX 7X will be able to give a good range (wifi 6 5Ghz channel) for the most part of the house and to use the C6 in the bedroom with 'Open Mesh' on the wifi 5 5Ghz channel. Or am I better off with a mesh network? (3600 Sqft apartment). Any help appreciated
Old 13th July 2024, 16:22   #2738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit_Quad View Post
Or am I better off with a mesh network? (3600 Sqft apartment). Any help appreciated
It depends on the exact layout of your apartment, but at 3600 sqft generally it's difficult to get proper coverage with a single device even if you go for ax73. Try to go for a deco or easymesh setup and look into the possibility of adding an ethernet backhaul. A properly planned mesh system should easily get you the 300 mbps speed of your connection.
Noctis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 07:24   #2739
BANNED

I have a Dual-band Wifi modem in my home (5Ghz/2.4Ghz), as is normal the 5Ghz band has limited reach while the 2.4Ghz band has wider reach. However even with a 2.4Ghz band my network connection is quite poor upstairs, I am thinking of getting a repeater/range extender, what would be the best choice I would like your opinions on which model is worth considering, I am looking to purchase one during the Prime Day/G.O.A.T Sales from July 20.

I really appreciate any help you can provide.
bijims is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 11:24   #2740
Senior - BHPian

Range extender is useless. You should go for a mesh system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
I am thinking of getting a repeater/range extender, what would be the best choice
Old 14th July 2024, 11:38   #2741
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
I have a Dual-band Wifi modem in my home (5Ghz/2.4Ghz), as is normal the 5Ghz band has limited reach while the 2.4Ghz band has wider reach. However even with a 2.4Ghz band my network connection is quite poor upstairs, I am thinking of getting a repeater/range extender, what would be the best choice I would like your opinions on which model is worth considering, I am looking to purchase one during the Prime Day/G.O.A.T Sales from July 20.

I really appreciate any help you can provide.
Range extender works fine if there are no major obstructions like walls n such, however, it's range is limited to 8-10 metres max. If your rooms are far apart or large in size, you end up getting range in say one portion and struggle in the other.

If you don't want such hassles, go with Mesh as Sebring suggested, but it's quite expensive.

Take a call accordingly.
Old 14th July 2024, 11:50   #2742
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToThePoint View Post
Range extender works fine if there are no major obstructions like walls n such, however, it's range is limited to 8-10 metres max. If your rooms are far apart or large in size, you end up getting range in say one portion and struggle in the other.

If you don't want such hassles, go with Mesh as Sebring suggested, but it's quite expensive.

Take a call accordingly.
It's just the one bedroom on the first floor that doesn't get stable connectivity, all other rooms are well connected with stable speeds, So considering this I think a range extender would do. If you know of any good range extenders please let me know.
Old 14th July 2024, 12:13   #2743
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
It's just the one bedroom on the first floor that doesn't get stable connectivity, all other rooms are well connected with stable speeds, So considering this I think a range extender would do. If you know of any good range extenders please let me know.
I purchased one almost 10 years back and it still works great for me.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can opt for one from TPLink. I have very good experience with their routers.
Old 14th July 2024, 12:43   #2744
BHPian

Quote:
Can you specify the primary router you are using?
Old 14th July 2024, 17:53   #2745
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctis View Post
Can you specify the primary router you are using?
https://products.ppc-online.com/prod...15x-dual-band/

Here is the product description page, it was a free ONT provided by my fibre network provider.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks