Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2024, 14:35   #2716
BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

+1,

My ASUS AC86U will loose Merlin support by end of this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
I need to replace my 10-year-old ASUS RT-N66U. It runs fine, but there are occasional glitches needing a reset. I would love to replace with an ASUS, but lately has become very expensive, and the availability is also very less. What I like about the ASUS is the Merlin software and the hosting of AS-blocker script in the router. The router is having some 20 devices connected and on a 100Mbps Airtel FTH in bridge mode. Any suggestions?
Old 12th June 2024, 16:21   #2717
BHPian

Quote:
I need to replace my 10-year-old ASUS RT-N66U. ? And how is the software updates and patches from TP-Link. Also how is the third-party firmware support?
Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat_partha View Post
+1,

My ASUS AC86U will loose Merlin support by end of this year.
Once ASUS always ASUS. I don't think there is a replacement at all considering the fact that you can install Merlin and customize it to the way you want. Added the devices are sturdy and last really long. Invest today and next 10 years you will not need any upgrade.

I have a Netgear R7000 model which I updated with Merlin firmware RT-AC68U and have got a AX11000 recently. I have a Home Mesh setup with the two connected using wires and I find no dead spots at all.

My suggestion would be to get an high end ASUS and update it to Merlin. Then you can establish a Mesh at home using the old and new router.
livelyyoungman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2024, 18:17   #2718
BHPian

There are hardly any devices available in India which has good openwrt support. If the device is supported, it will either have limited flash memory like 16MB. I recently ordered Xiaomi ax3000T wifi 6 from bangood to replace my Xiaomi 4a gigabit version.
atulsian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 11:16   #2719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How is it holding up? And how is the software updates and patches from TP-Link. Also how is the third-party firmware support?
Pleased with the purchase. Software updates are regular with TP Link. I have not attempted any third party upgrades so can't comment on that. I don't really meddle with the router apart from setting up the network with a strong password.

I get the feeling that their beam forming tech does work to a degree. We live in a house where the floor plan is more rectangular than square. My study is a corner room where wifi reception is not 100%. I still manage to get a stable video call connection when I work from home.

Note that my house walls are made from wood and gypsum board so you may find a slightly different experience from mine.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 14:27   #2720
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. I have ordered the TPLINK TLWA1201 with access point option. This is the only option that was available. Hope this solves my problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atulsian View Post
Also, please note you need a router which has access point option. If otherwise, you will have double nat which will slow the down the internet.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 17:01   #2721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Thanks. I have ordered the TPLINK TLWA1201 with access point option. This is the only option that was available. Hope this solves my problem.
If looking for wifi6, go with this model and don't forget to disable wifi on Jio router and plug LAN cable from one of Jio modem/router to the WAN port of the TP-Link and change the operation mode to access point.

TP-Link Archer AX23 AX1800 Dual-Band Wi-Fi 6 Router (1800 Mbps Speed Gigabit Wireless | Beamforming OFDMA | Next-Gen Platform Dual-Core CPU | One Mesh Easy Setup) Black https://amzn.in/d/aJDIsLR

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th June 2024 at 17:03. Reason: typos
atulsian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 17:44   #2722
BHPian

Quote:
There are hardly any devices available in India which has good openwrt support. If the device is supported, it will either have limited flash memory like 16MB. I recently ordered Xiaomi ax3000T wifi 6 from bangood to replace my Xiaomi 4a gigabit version.
How can one order from Bangood? I used to buy but now they don’t ship!
Old 17th June 2024, 18:38   #2723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejhoom View Post
How can one order from Bangood? I used to buy but now they don’t ship!
They ship very limited items and luckily this router is one of them.

[₹3,948.83 45% OFF]Xiaomi Router AX3000T WiFi 6 Mesh Technology 2.4GHz 5GHz MiWiFi ROM Efficient Wall Penetration Protection Repeater Signal Amplifier Networking from Computers & Office on banggood
https://banggood.onelink.me/zMT7/vm7lgeg6
atulsian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2024, 06:43   #2724
Senior - BHPian

Probably discussed in depth,

but what is the best, easiest and effective way to boost the range to other floors of the house. I have the router set up in first floor and it gives poor signal strength in ground floor. How do I improve it? Range extender, or Mesh, a better router in first floor or another router in ground floor? A little confused on what should I go for.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 19th June 2024 at 06:44.
Old 19th June 2024, 09:40   #2725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
How do I improve it? Range extender, or Mesh, a better router in first floor or another router in ground floor? A little confused on what should I go for.
Range extenders are useless.

I know mesh solution works in homes that don't have thick concrete walls. Our houses are built different so I am not confident that a mesh solution will solve your problem.

Stick to another dedicated router for the floor thats having issues. You'll need to wire it to the main router thats receiving the broadband connection. Run the cable outside the house.
Old 19th June 2024, 11:07   #2726
BHPian

Quote:
Probably discussed in depth,

but what is the best, easiest and effective way to boost the range to other floors of the house. I have the router set up in first floor and it gives poor signal strength in ground floor. How do I improve it? Range extender, or Mesh, a better router in first floor or another router in ground floor? A little confused on what should I go for.
If you can pull LAN cable on each floor either through conduit or from outside, then it is very easy. Just buy any router like the wifi 6 one suggested above or any mesh router which has lan option.

Last edited by atulsian : 19th June 2024 at 11:09.
Old 19th June 2024, 17:53   #2727
Distinguished - BHPian

Mesh and wire are not mutually exclusive.

We have a two-router Mesh setup, and the Mesh "backbone" is an ethernet cable. Of course, it can use wifi too, but the point of it is that it is in a place where the wifi signal from the main router is terrible --- or else it wouldn't have been needed in the first place!
Old 20th June 2024, 09:46   #2728
BHPian

Quote:
..I have the router set up in first floor and it gives poor signal strength in ground floor. How do I improve it? Range extender, or Mesh, a better router in first floor or another router in ground floor?..
In case you don't have to support a usecase where you need to switch seamlessly between the first floor and ground floor networks, just pull a cable and link it to a another wifi router in bridge mode.And if you assign the same SSID and passwords, you will have a near seamless switching.
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 14:45   #2729
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
just pull a cable and link it to a another wifi router in bridge mode.
You can still have a mesh. Frankly, we don't have that need, and it was a bit of extravagance on my part, going for the two-router mesh.

Sometimes, one wants the superior techie solution not because it is needed but because... just because
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 16:23   #2730
BHPian

Quote:
If you can pull LAN cable on each floor either through conduit or from outside, then it is very easy. Just buy any router like the wifi 6 one suggested above or any mesh router which has lan option.
This is what I have. I have a main router that serves one floor. An Ethernet cable to two other floors that runs outside the house and power 2 more routers. Each floor has its own router. The only problem with this approach is that, sometimes your device may get connected to a router say in 2nd floor but you are in 1st floor. In such a case you manually need to switch the network on the device (say a phone). This problem will not arise if you have a fixed usage where devices will only use their networks from a particular floor - for example a computer that will always be used from a certain floor can be configured to only the right router. The problem happens when you may be moving across all the floors and need different routers while in different floors.

This is the problem that mesh routers fix. As long you can live with the above issue, this will be cheapest and easiest fix for your problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
In case you don't have to support a usecase where you need to switch seamlessly between the first floor and ground floor networks, just pull a cable and link it to a another wifi router in bridge mode.And if you assign the same SSID and passwords, you will have a near seamless switching.
I would suggest to avoid giving same username/password with out having a mesh routers because it can be very confusing and hard to switch networks if required. Consider you are walking up from ground floor to 1st floor and your phone gets connected to the ground floor router. As you go to first floor, it will stay connected to the ground floor router unless the signal strength becomes too low. So when in 1st floor, the phone will still be connected to the ground floor router and it's even hard to recognise this situation because the router names are same.

However, if using a mesh routers (I don't have much experience) but I believe the mesh routers fix this not only by having the same names but also by actively switching the device to the router that has the best signal strength. I don't know how they do it though.

Last edited by deep_bang : 20th June 2024 at 16:29.
deep_bang is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks