Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2021, 18:21   #2296
BANNED

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Do you use 1 gbps connection ?
No 150mbps. WiFi bitrate shown will have lot of overheads and represents multiple devices talking to the Internet at the same time. Actual data throughput would not exceed 130mpbs. At least with 802.11ac my Wifi speedtest can achieve that much even from next room. With 802.11n router it was hard to get more than 40-60mbps in speedtest from the same location in next room.
Old 18th May 2021, 20:29   #2297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post

well, I need to do something new and exciting to keep myself from NOT going crazy during this lockdown!

Attachment 2156777
Some packages/options you can play with;

1) Adguard Server for network wide AD blocking and tracking.

2) SQM for setting up QOS (Quality of Service).
atulsian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 20:52   #2298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulsian View Post
Some packages/options you can play with;

1) Adguard Server for network wide AD blocking and tracking.

2) SQM for setting up QOS (Quality of Service).
I can vouch for both of them in fact, especially the SQM one in terms of real world benefits. SQM has maximised my internet experience by many folds. The network wide Adblock is doing a great job as well. For the ones who like something to fiddle with, OpenWRT is definitely the way to go. It definitely keeps the tech enthusiast in me satisfied
bhp_maniac is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 17:49   #2299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Orbi is not a modem so it doesn't have VDSL port or GPON port for optical fiber.

The orbi works with the modem provided by Airtel. You need to connect the airtel modem to orbi using the LAN cable and disable the wifi in airtel device.
Hi Vid6639, Et al,

I have this Orbi RBR20 wifi router, that I have connected to Airtel's Huwaei modem through an ethernet cable ( Airtel Modem ethernet port -> Internet port (yellow) on RBR20). Orbi app detects the router and confirms that the cable is connected. However the next step which is " connecting to internet" is not going through. After couple of minutes I get the message on the app that " no internet connection" . Using the advanced setup->ISP login option I also tried using PPPoe user name and password ( got them from airtel) but still it shows "no internet connection". Just checking to see if you ever encountered this problem or know if anything needs to be changed in Airtel modem before attempting to connect this external router to it. Since the internet is working using the stock airtel modem, their support has no idea why RBR20 is not able to connect to it or shows no internet. Any thoughts ?
Old 19th May 2021, 18:11   #2300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post
" no internet connection" . Using the advanced setup->ISP login option I also tried using PPPoe user name and password
If you are going to use the Huawei as router, then you'll have to give it's IP address as gateway in your Orbi. Also, you'll have keep it in AP mode, if you are going to connect Orbi in the LAN port. Have you configured Orbi in such a way?

Also, assign Orbi an IP that is in the range of Huawei router range.
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 19:38   #2301
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Vid6639, Et al,

I have this Orbi RBR20 wifi router, that I have connected to Airtel's Huwaei modem through an ethernet cable ( Airtel Modem ethernet port -> Internet port (yellow) on RBR20). Orbi app detects the router and confirms that the cable is connected. However the next step which is " connecting to internet" is not going through.
Is Orbi configured as DHCP router mode? Since you are using Airtel modem and that in turn is connected to the internet, you need to set Orbi as a normal wifi router.

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th May 2021 at 20:12.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 20:02   #2302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have this Orbi RBR20 wifi router, that I have connected to Airtel's Huwaei modem through an ethernet cable ( Airtel Modem ethernet port -> Internet port (yellow) on RBR20).
This guide should help :

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-...n-access-point
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 20:40   #2303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have this Orbi RBR20 wifi router, that I have connected to Airtel's Huwaei modem through an ethernet cable ( Airtel Modem ethernet port -> Internet port (yellow) on RBR20). Orbi app detects the router and confirms that the cable is connected. However the next step which is " connecting to internet" is not going through. After couple of minutes I get the message on the app that " no internet connection" .
You are probably trying to do L2 negotiation from your new router, while the Airtel default router is already doing it. Your new router must have a WAN-side setting which essentially says "don't do any extra stuff". Activate that and you should be fine.

The alternative is a bit more more complicated - setting up the ISP router in bridge mode and doing PPP from your personal router. But this configuration allows you to remove the ISP router out of the setup and that might be advantageous in other ways.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 15:04   #2304
Senior - BHPian

I find the mesh concept mostly overrated. In my house I have seen, with every wall in between the signal drops 20-25% on 5Ghz. This is normal 9" brick wall at around 25 ft from the router. Things will be even better in 2Ghz.

I think in a single floor apartment the complaints of break in network access and poor speeds may be mostly due to weak wifi chipsets in the receiving device for which you can't blame the router.

If you have multistoried house this will be true since you have concrete roof which can block signal significantly. For such scenarios the best case scenario will be to have a Cat6 cable routed across the house rather than a mesh network. With WiFi 6 and Triband routers situation may be slightly better, but they are extremely expensive currently.

Last edited by poloman : 20th May 2021 at 15:10.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 16:35   #2305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
I got two of these Asus routers to work as mesh

https://www.amazon.in/Asus-RT-AC59U-.../dp/B07Z82WB3V

Their app is straightforward and simple as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I have shortlisted this model after days of reading reviews, watching Youtube videos, etc.
I had almost decided to go for TP-Link Archer C7 based on @Ragul's good experience with it.
While looking for it in amazon, came across ASUS RT AC59U v2. Both of them are 802.11ac which is my primary requirement. The main difference is C7 can be added to mesh using a cheaper extender, where as I couldnt find extenders for Asus, may need to buy another router for a mesh setup. C7 has higher bandwidth support than Asus, but I am not particular about this difference in numbers.

My main worry is how does Asus router perform in a L shaped layout on its own?

infact it its double L sitting back to back kind of layout in my case. I plan to my use existing old router in AP mode to cover the other L part. If it is not successful, may be I need to think of investing in another Asus router to create a mesh.

@deathwalkr, @manim, your views ?
Old 20th May 2021, 17:23   #2306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankuthimma View Post

@manim, your views
Though I was playing around with OpenWrt on my desktop and laptop, I may buy an Asus Router soon. Due to the lock-down I cannot buy now nor allow electricians in my house.

And I don't have any practical experience except for the single ISP supplied router setup I have had so far.

I plan to add more routers at various rooms in my house in future for a mesh setup. One of them could be a Raspberry Pi running OpenWrt!

So presently enjoying my time studying the fundamentals:
Text book - Computer-Networks by Tanenbaum.
Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/c/Behfor
manim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 17:48   #2307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I find the mesh concept mostly overrated. ... ... ... the best case scenario will be to have a Cat6 cable routed across the house rather than a mesh network.
I'm a newcomer to Mesh, but I think you might have a misconception of mesh. The essential concept of mesh is that, wandering around the premises with your mobile, you will remain seamlessly connected to the same LAN, even though your connection may switch from one router to another.

How about this: The best case scenario would be a mesh network with the nodes connected by Cat6 cable.
Old 20th May 2021, 17:58   #2308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm a newcomer to Mesh, but I think you might have a misconception of mesh. The essential concept of mesh is that, wandering around the premises with your mobile, you will remain seamlessly connected to the same LAN, even though your connection may switch from one router to another.

How about this: The best case scenario would be a mesh network with the nodes connected by Cat6 cable.
Hi Thad, I have no misconception at all about mesh network. Think of this? How can you wander seamlessly from one device over air to another in a physical word? There will be always some latencies and background network management involved. Some of these mesh uses 2Ghz band for traffic control for that reason. Also some use a third band. If you have Cat6 cable routed all over your house, why you need a mesh. By the time you step up/down a stair you will be connected to the router on that floor. Is it having same SSID across the house so important?
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 18:07   #2309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The essential concept of mesh is that, wandering around the premises with your mobile, you will remain seamlessly connected to the same LAN, even though your connection may switch from one router to another.
So I have a set of assorted Wifi APs that all have the same SSID and password. My Wifi clients (laptop, phones...) all connect to the strongest signal one. Is this a mesh? The APs are TP-Link, D-Link, Netgear etc. Even the Wifi hotspots of all the Android devices in my household uses the same SSID so the network even extends to my car.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 18:19   #2310
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankuthimma View Post
I had almost decided to go for TP-Link Archer C7 based on @Ragul's good experience with it.
While looking for it in amazon, came across ASUS RT AC59U v2. Both of them are 802.11ac which is my primary requirement. The main difference is C7 can be added to mesh using a cheaper extender, where as I couldnt find extenders for Asus, may need to buy another router for a mesh setup. C7 has higher bandwidth support than Asus, but I am not particular about this difference in numbers.

infact it its double L sitting back to back kind of layout in my case. I plan to my use existing old router in AP mode to cover the other L part. If it is not successful, may be I need to think of investing in another Asus router to create a mesh.

@deathwalkr, @manim, your views ?
My house is infact a Z with a long centre line so similar to what you describe. But I am confused by your post - why are you looking at a router with half the 5G WiFi bandwidth than the Archer C7 @4k and that too at a higher base price @5600k? Not to mention the cost of 2x802.11ac extenders - one for each room. A tp-link extender may or may not inter-operate well with a Asus Mesh - need to find out. I got my RE200 @1.8k its running @1.9k now. If buying two for 2 devices per one per room (mobile and laptop) then the RE200 is minimum specs at 750mbps performance using 802.11ac. Else if buying a single extender the price starts at 4k for the RE450 extender with 1750 performance matching the Archer C7.

RE450

Furthermore if the fancy bandwidth monitor and usage graphs of OpenWRT did tempt you then -
Quote:
The RT-AC59u, RT-AC58u v2, RT-AC57u v2 all use relatively new and unknown single core Qualcomm QCN5502 SoC. I believe there is no OpenWrt support at this time.

Last edited by Ragul : 20th May 2021 at 18:24.
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks