Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2021, 22:02   #2191
Senior - BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Since I purchased a new Router (TP-Link AX-50), I want to explore if it is possible to use my older router Netgear R7000 as a Repeater. Can someone share detailed steps on how I can do this configuration?

I do see that the R7000 supports a "Repeater" Mode in the settings.

Couple of doubts I had:
1. Should I give the same SSID in both Routers in this scenario or should I be giving a different SSID on the Repeater?
2. Should I enter the Username and Password in the Wireless settings which is same as the Original Router?
Old 2nd April 2021, 11:54   #2192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I do see that the R7000 supports a "Repeater" Mode in the settings.
Couple of doubts I had:
1. Should I give the same SSID in both Routers in this scenario or should I be giving a different SSID on the Repeater?
2. Should I enter the Username and Password in the Wireless settings which is same as the Original Router?
I use my R7000 in repeater mode. In the settings you do this and wire the main router to the R7000 in one of the lan ports and not the WAN one. I use different ssids for all my repeater routers.
In Advanced-Advanced Setup-Router/AP/Bridge/Repeating Mode, i have set it to AP mode.
Old 2nd April 2021, 13:27   #2193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post

Couple of doubts I had:
You may use the same SSID and password (generally preferred for seamless switch) or use a different SSID and password.
Old 12th April 2021, 21:02   #2194
Distinguished - BHPian

We built a room on top of our terrace, and it is now getting into use as part of the home. For some reason, there is no wifi signal there at all, even though it is only passing (or not) through terrace/ceiling.

Wifi router is very old. Probably replacing would help, but I thought I would run a ca6-6 cable up there and get two new routers, which should work seamlessly together, and should be able to connect by wire. They should have at least one port available for direct-connect devices. Can use hubs for more.

I am so out of touch. Please suggest a pair of routers that will work together in this way.

They should not be too dumbed down. I do do stuff like reserving IP addresses against devices. But they should not be too professional: I did most small-company hands-on networking, as it was twenty-five years ago, but would call someone in for more complex routing and "speaking cisco."

I guess my budget is 10-15k. Flexible. -ish.
Old 12th April 2021, 21:58   #2195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
We built a room on top of our terrace, and it is now getting into use as part of the home. For some reason, there is no wifi signal there at all, even though it is only passing (or not) through terrace/ceiling.

Wifi router is very old. Probably replacing would help, but I thought I would run a ca6-6 cable up there and get two new routers, which should work seamlessly together, and should be able to connect by wire. They should have at least one port available for direct-connect devices. Can use hubs for more.

I am so out of touch. Please suggest a pair of routers that will work together in this way.

They should not be too dumbed down. I do do stuff like reserving IP addresses against devices. But they should not be too professional: I did most small-company hands-on networking, as it was twenty-five years ago, but would call someone in for more complex routing and "speaking cisco."

Since you already have an old WiFi router, I would suggest buying a new Access Point for the users in the house and connect that to the existing router with an Ethernet Cable, for the room on the terrace you could go for another router and connect that to the old WiFi router with an ethernet cable.

All you will need to do is turn DHCP off on both the Access Points and leave the IP address allocation to your existing router, which I think you are comfortable configuring.

The equipment I would recommend
https://www.amazon.in/Ubiquiti-Netwo...8244539&sr=8-5
This is a Ubiquiti AP, its an amazing piece of kit and can easily handle all the clients in your House

https://www.amazon.in/TP-Link-AC1200...8244539&sr=8-3
This TP Link Router can be configured to run in an AP mode and will be more than enough to cover the room that you built on the terrace.

This whole upgrade will cost you around 12.5k within your budget

Cheers!
AdityaH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 23:10   #2196
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaH View Post
Thanks!

A whole Ubiquity system would probably be fun. And expensive.

Since you already have an old WiFi router, I would suggest buying a new Access Point for the users in the house and connect that to the existing router with an Ethernet Cable, for the room on the terrace you could go for another router and connect that to the old WiFi router with an ethernet cable.
The old router is so old that I have many doubts about it, including security --- although I don't think it is a big risk, as the Airtel modem puts an additional network between us and the world. However, I'm happy to retire the old Trendnet.
Old 12th April 2021, 23:21   #2197

Quote:
The old router is so old that I have many doubts about it, including security --- although I don't think it is a big risk, as the Airtel modem puts an additional network between us and the world. However, I'm happy to retire the old Trendnet.
In that case you can pickup any cheap router from Amazon (should cost <1000) and replace the old one.
Old 12th April 2021, 23:56   #2198
BHPian

Quote:

You could look at the TPLink Archer C6 (sub 3 INR) or the C80 (sub 5k INR). They should meet your needs. They are easy to set up as well.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 03:46   #2199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
You could look at the TPLink Archer C6...
Browsing the TP Link stuff led me to be considering the following combination:

TP-Link AX20

TP-Link RE505X

They work in combination as a TP Link One-Mesh system.

I'm now going to sleep on that.
Old 13th April 2021, 10:12   #2200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Browsing the TP Link stuff led me to be considering the following combination:

They work in combination as a TP Link One-Mesh system.

I'm now going to sleep on that.
I got two of these Asus routers to work as mesh

https://www.amazon.in/Asus-RT-AC59U-.../dp/B07Z82WB3V

Their app is straightforward and simple as well.
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 10:20   #2201
BHPian

Hello everyone, I have been using Netgear orbi, Mesh system from last two years, it can connect 2 satellites as per website but when my system was under customer support plan and they were trying with me to connect 4th satellite, before we complete it my plan got over does anyone know how to contact netgear knows anyone from nether technically who can help me to connect 4th Satellite?
Old 13th April 2021, 15:22   #2202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
I got two of these Asus routers to work as mesh

https://www.amazon.in/Asus-RT-AC59U-.../dp/B07Z82WB3V

Their app is straightforward and simple as well.
Thanks. The Asus range is interesting too. I am interested in having seamless mesh coverage.

The solution I found yesterday had one problem: the small unit cannot be connected by cable, so that depends on it being put in a good place to get signal and give coverage.

I ask not too worried about ease of technical aspects. I did once do it for a living so I guess I can get my head around stuff. If I bought asus, it would be good to have a model that can use the WRT os for extended capability.

Yesterday I read quite a lot of tp-link into and manuals: tonight I'll check out Asus. I'm a great believer in reading the manual rather than just the marketing stuff!

It's a bit funny choosing from routers that have capabilities many times my rather limited Airtel non-fibre broadband! But I do like to buy for the long term, so I'm ok with that.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 15:57   #2203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I got two of these Asus routers to work as mesh...
On further contemplation, I ruled out tp-link, which is a router+extender=mesh system: they specifically say that one cannot connect two routers. Also, one cannot wire a tp-link extender to the primary router.

The Asus aimesh system seems very much more flexible, and includes wired-ethernet connection.

Even though this is a small property, angles and walls are such that there is always going to be a lot of concrete between points a and b, and there is no suitable "midway" point that I can place a node that will not be just as bad.

We do not even get a good signal on the terrace. I'll begin by buying a new router and seeing if it can punch through brick and concrete noticeably better than my old, old thing.

And take it from there. Running the cable is easy: I'll get that done, as there is no point in my buying bulk cable and tools for a single job.
Old 14th April 2021, 18:40   #2204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'll begin by buying a new router and seeing if it can punch through brick and concrete noticeably better than my old, old thing.

And take it from there. Running the cable is easy: I'll get that done, as there is no point in my buying bulk cable and tools for a single job.
Good luck sir. For the money spent, i am happy with the two asus routers working in MESH. Pretty much covers ground and first floor of my house. Setting them with their mobile app was straightforward enough.

App also shows real time traffic, what devices are connected and so on.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 19:46   #2205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Good luck sir. For the money spent, i am happy with the two asus routers working in MESH...
I am fully expecting to do the same. One router at a time

Most Viewed