Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2021, 13:12   #2146
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gischethans View Post
While looking for routers that support SIM cards, I came across D-Link DWR-920V which comes with a Micro-SIM slot and it can switchover from LAN to Mobile network seamlessly.
Awesome timing, was just thinking about replacing my router with one that supports a SIM slot. Right now I have a wired connection and a mobile hotspot as backup. Irony is that in the place I am at now, the mobile hotspot is far more reliable than the wired connection! And since there is only one provider, switching providers for the wired connection is not possible and their service really sucks (since they have a monopoly, they don't really care!)

So thinking of getting a new router and a new SIM or transferring the SIM from the mobile hotspot to the router and using that as a primary. One big advantage will be the router will run on the mains and the UPS unlike the hotspot that needs to be charged everyday.

Anyone already using one of these routers with SIM, any feedback? (Thanks in advance for any replies.)

Last edited by am1m : 14th January 2021 at 13:13.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 13:23   #2147
BHPian

Hi All,

Recently I upgraded my ACT plan to 150 mbps and ACT technician says that the current modem given by ACT dont have the Gigbit WAN port so I need to purchase a new one to get the benefit of 150mbps. Can someone suggest as which router I can buy .

Looking at TPLINK Archer C6 or is there any other router which can cover 1200 sqft. Pls suggest
Old 18th January 2021, 12:01   #2148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalini_g View Post
Hi All,

Recently I upgraded my ACT plan to 150 mbps and ACT technician says that the current modem given by ACT dont have the Gigbit WAN port so I need to purchase a new one to get the benefit of 150mbps. Can someone suggest as which router I can buy .

Looking at TPLINK Archer C6 or is there any other router which can cover 1200 sqft. Pls suggest
Archer C6 is a decent mid grade router. Any wireless AC router can provide you with speeds up to 200 to 250Mbps whereas the good ones can reach 400 plus. For your needs, the C6 would be fine. Of course if your home is large or has connectivity issues due to walls then you can look at other options like mesh routers or more powerful routers that can penetrate walls. These are quite costly. For most homes, the C6 will work great.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 13:30   #2149
Team-BHP Support

When buying TP link non mesh routers, please check this link:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/onemesh/product-list/

Make sure you buy a router that works with onemesh. If the firmware is upgraded to one mesh then you can buy this later on:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-netw...xtender/re300/

With this you can use single SSID and automatic handover like mesh without having to change to mesh routers.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 20:09   #2150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Well, I find it absurd. If you have upgraded to 150mbps, ACT should provide for compatible router also. Have you checked for router OEM site for its port speed?
Old 22nd January 2021, 13:17   #2151
BHPian

For my work from home activity, I am thinking of upgrading to TP-Link TL-MR100 300Mbps Wireless N 4G LTE. This comes with a micro SIM support. Currently I am relying on a JioFI device and mobile hotspot as a backup. JioFi keeps on loosing the network in between, which surprisingly never happens with the Mobile hotspot (using Jio SIM only).

Any thoughts on the TP Link router? Is it common for a SIM router to loose the network in between?
Old 22nd January 2021, 18:56   #2152
BHPian

Quote:
Quoting from a previous post:-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
Old 24th January 2021, 14:39   #2153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post
For my work from home activity, I am thinking of upgrading to TP-Link TL-MR100 300Mbps Wireless N 4G LTE. This comes with a micro SIM support. Currently I am relying on a JioFI device and mobile hotspot as a backup. JioFi keeps on loosing the network in between, which surprisingly never happens with the Mobile hotspot (using Jio SIM only).

Any thoughts on the TP Link router? Is it common for a SIM router to loose the network in between?
Any reason you are not getting proper wired home broadband?
Old 3rd February 2021, 10:23   #2154
BHPian

Hi everyone, I am looking to buy a very good (powerful) wireless router which can cover around 2000sqft flat with multiple rooms. I have ACT broadband (250MBPS), but when using current Tenda AC10, connection speed drops drastically in my bedroom where home office is setup.I tried Netgear Nighthawk, but it couldn't get good connection when doors are closed. Kindly share any suggestions for a powerful router with latest technology (wifi6 etc...).

TIA!
Old 3rd February 2021, 10:40   #2155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
Hi everyone, I am looking to buy a very good (powerful) wireless router which can cover around 2000sqft flat with multiple rooms. I have ACT broadband (250MBPS), but when using current Tenda AC10, connection speed drops drastically in my bedroom where home office is setup.I tried Netgear Nighthawk, but it couldn't get good connection when doors are closed. Kindly share any suggestions for a powerful router with latest technology (wifi6 etc...).

TIA!
This is normal with tenda routers actually; they suffer from poor range. I too have the AC8 and had issues with range in my bedroom on 1st floor diagonally opposite to router position.

I got a TP range extender & it worked for me. But incase you want a seamless connection than a mesh set up is the only option you got.

A cheaper alrernative could be to go for the TP Link Archer C6 coupled with a TP Link Mesh ranger extender.
Old 3rd February 2021, 11:17   #2156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
This is normal with tenda routers actually; they suffer from poor range. I too have the AC8 and had issues with range in my bedroom on 1st floor diagonally opposite to router position.

I got a TP range extender & it worked for me. But incase you want a seamless connection than a mesh set up is the only option you got.

A cheaper alrernative could be to go for the TP Link Archer C6 coupled with a TP Link Mesh ranger extender.
I am using TP-link AC1750 extender as of now, but speed drops 1/2 when connected to extender (extender is configured for 5GHz).. Any feedback about Linksys MR9000? https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07Y45V3TK?...5&ref=aa_scomp
Old 3rd February 2021, 12:01   #2157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
I am using TP-link AC1750 extender as of now, but speed drops 1/2 when connected to extender (extender is configured for 5GHz).. Any feedback about Linksys MR9000? https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07Y45V3TK?...5&ref=aa_scomp
I am afraid you’re doing it the other way round.
1. Configure the extender to the 2.4G network of your host router.
2. DO NOT set-up the 5G on the extender. You will still be able to see both the bands of the extender.
3. Connect to the 5G band on the extender and you’re done!

I use the RC200 extender and get the following speeds,
2.4G = 30-40 mbps
5G = 90-100 mbps.

My fibre plan is 150 mbps.
Old 4th February 2021, 22:01   #2158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Update: Chromecast started working on its own again .

Last week, while trying to troubleshoot I found this Google Chromecast Help community ( https://support.google.com/chromecast/community?hl=en ) and surprisingly there were posts of the similar Dlink to Chromecast problem posted by others. So there seems to be some general problem in Dlink which they have now fixed it over the air.
Had posted above in November. The problem with Chromecast has cropped up again since 1-Feb with no solution in sight.

Again surprisingly, I could see a few posts in the Google support community . Link.

Link for November incident.

Many of those who are reporting this are from India and using ACT. This seems too much of a coincidence.

Is it possible technically that ACT is blocking Chromecast inadvertently? Or deliberaty to promote their ACT streaming device?
DigitalOne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 09:10   #2159
BHPian

Quote:
Had posted above in November. The problem with Chromecast has cropped up again since 1-Feb with no solution in sight.

Again surprisingly, I could see a few posts in the Google support community .
Update: Started working yesterday again with no change in any parameters. Beats me why this happens, and to a bunch of users across India at the same time.

@Mods, please merge the two posts.
Old 6th February 2021, 10:58   #2160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible technically that ACT is blocking Chromecast inadvertently? Or deliberaty to promote their ACT streaming device?
I travel with a Chromecast - hook it to hotel TVs and watch Netflix using my phone as hotspot. Works totally fine when the SIM for data is Jio's. But when it is Airtel's, it doesn't work at all. I have always assumed that some idiotic configuration they do (there is a one.airtel.in/rcconf thingy that errors out).

So yes, the ISP can screw up things to make Chromecast non-functional.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks