Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2020, 18:39   #1906

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

If Netflix is geofencing their content and you are trying to work around such protection they have applied, you are violating a US law called DMCA.
I haven't looked up the terms and conditions of Netflix. But, I don't think this would fall under DMCA. Yes, it wouldn't be expected by Netflix, that the subscriber watches it over VPN, but I doubt that this comes under DMCA violation.
ElonSkum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 21:54   #1907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElonSkum View Post
I haven't looked up the terms and conditions of Netflix. But, I don't think this would fall under DMCA. Yes, it wouldn't be expected by Netflix, that the subscriber watches it over VPN, but I doubt that this comes under DMCA violation.
The Wikipedia article on DMCA says it criminalizes the act of circumventing an access control, whether or not there is actual infringement of copyright itself. Geofencing is access control. Ergo.

In any case, my point was that there is a theoretical possibility that we are discussing an illegal activity and it oughtn't continue any further.

Edit: Netflix T&C has:

Quote:
You agree to use the Netflix service [...] in accordance with all applicable laws, rules and regulations, or other restrictions on use of the service or content therein. [...] You also agree not to: circumvent, remove, alter, deactivate, degrade or thwart any of the content protections in the Netflix service...
But https://help.netflix.com/en/node/114701 suggests they don't particularly like VPNs though they might not be actively blocking them.

Last edited by binand : 14th July 2020 at 22:01.
Old 15th July 2020, 03:38   #1908
Distinguished - BHPian

Being picky here, but terms and conditions is not legal/illegal stuff, it's contractual stuff.

I'm curious. If it was cut and dried against VPNs (and your Wikipedia extract is probably accurate) why haven't the media companies lawyered them out of existence? They are not exactly shy or cheap about using the legal sledgehammer.

Even without a clear cut answer, I'd join the side of feeling uncomfortable about asking a friend abroad to host a VPN. One's own, in a second home, I could go with, but the friend option is a bit like asking them to bring something through customs for you. That's just my feeling, and I learnt enough about law to know that feelings don't cut it, so I could be way wrong.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 06:32   #1909

Just to make sure that I am on a firm ground with respect to Netflix, VPN and DMCA violation, I had a chat with Netflix customer service(US). Their answer is a clear 'no'; I wouldn't be violating DMCA if I use VPN.

Of course, like so many other things,we need to be careful as to how we go about doing it.

And VPN isn't illegal, nor using it to bypass region based restrictions for such uses as for personal use, at both ends - hosting and client. It isn't piracy. I don't see how it corrupts the forum's decorum. That kind of environment would be too Orwrellian, IMO.

On Wi-Fi & Routers-grab1.jpgOn Wi-Fi & Routers-screenshot_20200714184923300_com.android.chrome_copy_288x403.jpg
ElonSkum is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 17:37   #1910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If it was cut and dried against VPNs (and your Wikipedia extract is probably accurate) why haven't the media companies lawyered them out of existence?
They've done it against many other kinds of access circumventing controls in which their cut is threatened; in the case of VPN access my guess is that they are satisfied with Netflix's controls. As the Netflix conversation indicates, when a VPN is detected they only allow access to globally licensed content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElonSkum View Post
Their answer is a clear 'no'; I wouldn't be violating DMCA if I use VPN.

And VPN isn't illegal, nor using it to bypass region based restrictions for such uses as for personal use, at both ends - hosting and client. It isn't piracy. I don't see how it corrupts the forum's decorum. That kind of environment would be too Orwrellian, IMO.
I am not contesting the legality of VPNs (in fact I myself use them all the time; one at my home to beat IP address based tracking systems and another paid VPN service for some work-related purposes).

Just saying using a VPN and pretending to be an American customer and accessing content only meant for Americans might be DMCA violation. I don't think you specifically asked them this question.

If you are satisfied it isn't then that is all there to it; I'm not going to belabour the point, instead chalk it up as #TIL.

Last edited by binand : 15th July 2020 at 17:39.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 18:41   #1911
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am not contesting the legality of VPNs (in fact I myself use them all the time; one at my home to beat IP address based tracking systems and another paid VPN service for some work-related purposes).
It's just a technology. Biggest worldwide use is probably for business. Practical, in that a remote user can appear to be on the company network, and security, in that the VPN is a secure tunnel through the internet from worker to office.
Quote:
Just saying using a VPN and pretending to be an American customer and accessing content only meant for Americans might be DMCA violation.
It very well might be. I strongly suspect that, at least sometimes it is. But it is an American law, and we are not in America. So we can forget about it

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 15th July 2020 at 18:43.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 20:22   #1912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But it is an American law, and we are not in America. So we can forget about it
That is true, but earthian had specified that the Netflix account in question is their US-based son's.
Old 16th July 2020, 00:34   #1913
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the Netflix account in question is their US-based son's.
Well, like I said, I am not so comfortable with putting the US resident in that position. I thought, though, that we had moved on to discussing the general situation of accessing USA Netflix content from India via a commercial VPN. Excuse if wrong.

I wonder... If people want to give them dollars, why they can't just take it? This is not piracy, but paying customers. I do recall, a few years back, the BBC saying that the reason they restrict by location is that they may not have, or may have sold to others, the rights to various territories.
Old 16th July 2020, 09:18   #1914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wonder... If people want to give them dollars, why they can't just take it? This is not piracy, but paying customers.
I could think of two reasons.

1. Licensing. Maybe the content owner has exclusively licensed it to someone else in India and now Netflix can't show it here. Could be for theatrical release, TV or DVD - who knows? Everything is sold in separate packages to maximise money.

2. Unit economics. The revenue/user/view in India might be below the license cost/user/view.
Old 16th July 2020, 17:15   #1915
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. Licensing.
I mentioned that.
Quote:
2. Unit economics.
Price would be American dollar price for American dollar service, so the subscriber in India would be paying the same.
Old 18th July 2020, 06:23   #1916
BHPian

Guys,

Need help with respect to bridge settings of Huawei GPon/ONT/router HG8145V5 device used in Airtel Xstream fiber.

Airtel provided me with Huawei device for my 200 Mbps plan. Due to current situation the demand for net connectivity has increased. Due to the limited WiFi coverage of Huawei, I planned to connect my Asus RT Ac58u (from 2017) to Huawei to get a better WiFi range.

Initially I tried with Asus as an access point for few days. Later to utilise the full potential of Asus, I want to set the the Huawei in bridge mode so that it just performs the modem duty while Asus does the Router and WiFi duties using PPPoE setup. I also have a plan to setup mesh network going forward with Huawei in bridge mode.

I was able to succeed in setting up the Huawei in bridge mode to some extent. For the last two days, it was working fine till night and there are frequent disconnections around 9pm. Don't know if its from Airtel side or the bridge setup or the configuration in. ASUS.

Before setting up the Huawei in bridge mode, I took the image copies of all the settings and back also, in case to revert it back. During setup, instead of doing changes to the existing TR069 internet profile, I've created a new profile for bridge setup and deleted the TR069 profile. I've setup the Asus in router mode with PPPoE setup by entering the username and password. It got connected. But having issues for sometime during the last 2 days around 9pm.

I'm attaching the image of Huawei Bridge mode setting below. Pl let me know if anything needs to be done to avoid the frequent disconnection at night.

Need suggestions on how to overcome this frequent disconnections. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
On Wi-Fi & Routers-smartselect_20200718062052_gallery.jpg  

Last edited by vvrchandra : 18th July 2020 at 06:26.
Old 18th July 2020, 08:09   #1917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Need suggestions on how to overcome this frequent disconnections. Thanks in advance.
Looks like the disconnection is happening when the TV is switched on. Apple TV 4K, Airtel Xstream Stb, and LG smart TV are all connected wireless to the Asus router.

Is the asus router culrput here for the disconnections. When the TV is off, kids were able to connect to their online classes using laptops without any issue and mobiles are also working fine. Only when TV is powered on along with its connected devices WiFi is getting disconnected and getting reconnected. But all the lights are glowing on the Huawei and Asus routers at the time of disconnection.

Also couple of days back, I've updated the firmware of Asus router to the current or latest version of 2020 year. Earlier version was from year 2018.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 18th July 2020 at 08:19.
Old 19th July 2020, 14:25   #1918
Senior - BHPian

Our Jio router (2AMP) would switch off in the gap between - power outage and generator switch on (7 seconds). Got this dimunitive (it's size of a hard disc drive) Cuzor router 'back up' (3.5 hours), and its pretty good. This product is a Make In India initiative so more reason to applaud. It's sold out mostly, (given the strong demand), but got one for myself somehow
Attached Thumbnails
On Wi-Fi & Routers-img_3475.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 18:08   #1919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Our Jio router (2AMP) would switch off in the gap between - power outage and generator switch on (7 seconds). Got this dimunitive (it's size of a hard disc drive) Cuzor router 'back up' (3.5 hours), and its pretty good. This product is a Make In India initiative so more reason to applaud. It's sold out mostly, (given the strong demand), but got one for myself somehow
These products are atrociously expensive for what they provide. A normal UPS that can power 3 or more devices including a computer and TV costs around 1500. Hence there is no logic in paying more for a device with smaller capacity which is restricted to be used by just one device. In addition, it would be hard to find a replacement battery after it dies in a year or so. On a normal UPS you can easily get it for around Rs 600. If there is a space constraint where a larger UPS can’t be used then one should go for such devices. Otherwise one can place a normal UPS somewhere behind and connect the router, WiFi/ modem, cordless phone etc. to it and get backup for all of them. As far as made in India is concerned, it is almost certainly a rebadged made in China product. Such devices can be found on AliExpress for around Rs 600 to 800 which is the fair price for them. Having said that, it is a great idea and I love its look and design.
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 21:25   #1920
BHPian

I really wish, there were simple usb converters available, which could connect to a power bank with a split,
One end goes to usb charger to charge power bank, and other end goes through a DC-DC convertor to correct pin out /voltage that matches the socket behind router.

This would be dirt cheap, and can be paired with any old low capacity/about to die power bank as all we need is less than a minute back till apartment back-up kicks in...

Unfortunately haven't seen any such adapters around.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks