Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2017, 17:13   #1606
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Ok, let me explain in brief.

Reason for my post here - the same router was connected in Hyderabad to a Act connection and if i remember was getting 90Mbps over wireless and wired.
Change the channel to 13 and try, channels 6 and 10-11 get crowded. Use the wifi analyser app to guide you. Update the firmware to the latest version.

Also, your router is a Wireless N 150 with so while you could do with a better router just eliminate the current router as the bottleneck before you do buy a new model. AC routers can get expensive at about 6-8K and higher. Please check Amazon or FKT for current prices.

I have a couple of TP Link routers and am not particularly impressed by them. They are cost effective but don't expect too much. They've been relegated to serving as backups only in case one of my routers suffers a hardware failure. Ditto for Tenda.

You would do better buying an Asus, Netgear, D Link, Linksys, etc. Obviously you get what you pay for. The higher models in all the above (including TP Link) perform the best. My 3 preferred brands are Asus with Netgear & Linksys tying for 2nd place.

As mentioned earlier by @Vid6639 5 GHz band has limited range and signal strength suffers when it passes through brick walls and other solid obstructions. If you have a high bandwidth consumer like for eg a TV/laptop for wirelessly viewing HD videos make sure the router is near that appliance. If you need wide spread home coverage use mesh wifi or use a wired network with access points in each room. I stopped believing in signal repeaters and boosters a long time back as they are inconsistent in performance.
Old 20th December 2017, 17:45   #1607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
As mentioned earlier by @Vid6639 5 GHz band has limited range and signal strength suffers when it passes through brick walls and other solid obstructions. If you have a high bandwidth consumer like for eg a TV/laptop for wirelessly viewing HD videos make sure the router is near that appliance.
I was wondering if, to get around this issue, I use a router with detachable antennas and then extend one to the room where reception is poor? Will it work? Earlier there were few models of Asus that came with detachable antennas but don't think the latest ones have this feature.
Old 20th December 2017, 17:53   #1608
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I was wondering if, to get around this issue, I use a router with detachable antennas and then extend one to the room where reception is poor? Will it work? Earlier there were few models of Asus that came with detachable antennas but don't think the latest ones have this feature.
Yes, I vaguely remember those. But one can generally install aftermarket antennas with higher sensitivity or gain. However, don't expect too much of an improvement.

Believe me, I've tried it all, including high gain antennas, before shifting to the wired Gb network + access point model. WiFi relaying and signal boosting with home grade equipment is NOT stable or reliable. I always use the wired network when backing up or transferring TB of data from my machines to the NAS or vice versa. To me, WiFi is a convenience but certainly nowhere close to being a replacement for my rock stable wired network.
Old 21st December 2017, 10:42   #1609
BHPian

Quote:
Change the channel to 13 and try, channels 6 and 10-11 get crowded. Use the wifi analyser app to guide you. Update the firmware to the latest version.
1. Changed channel to 13 and the speed was down to 30s
2. No firmware update available

Quote:
I have a couple of TP Link routers and am not particularly impressed by them. They are cost effective but don't expect too much. They've been relegated to serving as backups only in case one of my routers suffers a hardware failure. Ditto for Tenda.
Thanks for this suggestion. Seems in AC band, TP-Link is the only one which is cheaper <2k

Quote:
You would do better buying an Asus, Netgear, D Link, Linksys, etc. Obviously you get what you pay for. The higher models in all the above (including TP Link) perform the best. My 3 preferred brands are Asus with Netgear & Linksys tying for 2nd place.
Model numbers would really help here.

Quote:
As mentioned earlier by @Vid6639 5 GHz band has limited range and signal strength suffers when it passes through brick walls and other solid obstructions. If you have a high bandwidth consumer like for eg a TV/laptop for wirelessly viewing HD videos make sure the router is near that appliance.
After the entry of Apple TV, usage is more and now coupled with Amazon Prime Video.
Router is placed in the living area along with all my devices. So, no obstructions whatsoever.

How about the D-Link DIR816?
Old 21st December 2017, 11:07   #1610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Changed channel to 13 and the speed was down to 30s
2. No firmware update available

Thanks for this suggestion. Seems in AC band, TP-Link is the only one which is cheaper <2k
TP LINK is not bad in fact if there is channel congestion there is nothing much which router can do (keeping power level same). One easy trick which is possible in TP Link is to set location as Japan and use Channel 14 which is only in Japan Mode. So there will not be any interference from your neighbors. However problem here is that very few mobiles and laptops receive on Channel 14 but just try in case you are lucky.

Otherwise talk to your immediate neighbors convince them to choose channel 3 and 9 and you choose channel 6 instead of entering thermonuclear war of more transmit power using costlier router.

Last edited by amitk26 : 21st December 2017 at 11:09.
Old 21st December 2017, 11:12   #1611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
TP LINK is not bad in fact if there is channel congestion there is nothing much which router can do (keeping power level same). One easy trick which is possible in TP Link is to set location as Japan and use Channel 14 which is only in Japan Mode. So there will not be any interference from your neighbors. However problem here is that very few mobiles and laptops receive on Channel 14 but just try in case you are lucky.

Otherwise talk to your immediate neighbors convince them to choose channel 3 and 9 and you choose channel 6 instead of entering thermonuclear war of more transmit power using costlier router.
When checking in wifi analyzer, Channel 14 was the highest rated and recommended. But the last channel shown in Router was 13. Your post clears the air. Will change the location, select 14 and see what speed i get.

My apartment people are all in 50+ and i seldom believe they would be aware of even channels in Router, rather than in TVs
Old 21st December 2017, 19:54   #1612
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Model numbers would really help here.
It's difficult to choose from models in <2K in these brands. You may want to consider upping your budget.

Quote:
Router is placed in the living area along with all my devices. So, no obstructions whatsoever.
LOS (line of sight) is best for wireless reception. But then again let me also tell you sometimes its not just the router, the clients i.e. your PC/TV etc are equally to blame.

Quote:
D-Link makes some very decent stuff but frankly I have not used any of their wifi router products. For e.g. the D-Link DIR 890 is a real screamer but expensive. My experience with this brand is limited to switches and ADSL/ADSL+ modems. My D-link Gigabit switches have been chugging along for 6+ without a break and my modems saw service periods of about 2-3 years before they were replaced with better models.

Quote:
My apartment people are all in 50+ and i seldom believe they would be aware of even channels in Router, rather than in TVs
It has more to do with background (tech/non-tech) and interest rather than age. But yes, by and large younger people are more tech savvy even though they're not necessarily tech practitioners. Also, most home electronics are designed and manufactured in a manner that makes it easy for the layman to set them up. Apple products are a perfect example and that's one of their USPs.

Last edited by R2D2 : 21st December 2017 at 19:56.
Old 22nd December 2017, 00:34   #1613
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It has more to do with background (tech/non-tech) and interest rather than age. But yes, by and large younger people are more tech savvy even though they're not necessarily tech practitioners.
Much of this stuff was invented and pioneered by people who are way older than "fifties" now!
Old 22nd December 2017, 09:16   #1614
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Much of this stuff was invented and pioneered by people who are way older than "fifties" now!
That's very true! Many electronic items we take for granted were invented by people who are probably in their 60-80s today. Some may have even passed on. For e.g. the inventors of today's must-have gadget, the mobile phone @ Motorola; Martin Cooper (born 1928) and John Mitchell (born 1928, died 2009).
Old 22nd December 2017, 09:32   #1615
BHPian

Quote:
It's difficult to choose from models in <2K in these brands. You may want to consider upping your budget.

LOS (line of sight) is best for wireless reception. But then again let me also tell you sometimes its not just the router, the clients i.e. your PC/TV etc are equally to blame.
I am ok to up my budget, reason - to utilize the complete bandwidth provided by ACT.

Apple TV is the only streaming device I use apart from playing stuffs from my Mac through it from Plex.

Checked on Asus and they are priced at 13k.

Any other brands/model < 5k ?
Old 22nd December 2017, 09:54   #1616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
D-link DIR816 is a buggy model, donot buy it. It frequently disconnects from the main router, if used as an wireless extender.
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:21   #1617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
D-link DIR816 is a buggy model, donot buy it. It frequently disconnects from the main router, if used as an wireless extender.
I have no intention to use it as a Wireless extender.
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:26   #1618
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Checked on Asus and they are priced at 13k. Any other brands/model < 5k ?
Frankly, if I had the kind of use case (streaming multmedia/video) you have, I'd buy a solid router and be done with it. In other words..get it right the first time instead of upgrading every now and then. Because believe me, you will run into the bandwidth and capability roadblock/wall sooner rather than later.

Also, getting better or more expensive models is not necessarily about trying to shout down your neighbours' wifi with sheer transmission power. That doesn't work because signal interference affects not just you but others as well. All one can do is to change to a band that provides the best performance.

Better models offer optimised performance and firmware and can handle high bandwidth loads better just as for e.g. a Xeon processor based machine would handle computing loads better than a consumer grade Core i3/i5/i7 based PC.

There are cheaper Asus models too but you'll need to check online reviews before purchase.

I do not upgrade for several years on end. For e.g. my current setup includes AC routers (2 Linksys and 2 Asus, of which one Asus is a VDSL modem router and currently unused) purchased separately in '12 '13 & '14. These are functioning as access points whilst connected to the wired Gb network.

Only the AC routers are able to do justice when streaming HD video (mkv) and/or FLAC audio from the Netgear NAS which runs Plex. The NAS is not kept on 24x7 but only when required.

Two comparatively cheap Linksys wireless N WAPs that I purchased are as good as junk. Regrettably a real waste of money (several thousand bucks!!) IMO and the reason for my advice to you to get it right the 1st time.
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:44   #1619
Senior - BHPian

I have been using TPLink AC 750 Router for past 2 years to stream Amazon Prime and Youtube on my Samsung SmartTV and laptops / mobile connects to it decent Voice quality on IP is observed across concrete walls on both mobile and laptops.
As said earlier a lot depends on WiFi receiver built in the TV as well. I did not observe any problem in full HD streaming on the TV. The router is kept near TV so that may have helped I have 3 BR and in one BR signal is bit weak as there are multiple concrete walls ( A bathroom in between) so the desktop kept there is connected to same TPLink router using Ethernet cable. However mobiles work fine in same room.

In last 2 years did not find any reason to upgrade.

PS: I am using channel 6 and my apartment has lots of interference the total area

Last edited by amitk26 : 22nd December 2017 at 11:49.
Old 22nd December 2017, 12:01   #1620
BHPian

Quote:
Frankly, if I had the kind of use case (streaming multmedia/video) you have, I'd buy a solid router and be done with it. In other words..get it right the first time instead of upgrading every now and then. Because believe me, you will run into the bandwidth and capability roadblock/wall sooner rather than later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I have been using TPLink AC 750 Router for past 2 years to stream Amazon Prime and Youtube on my Samsung SmartTV and laptops / mobile connects to it decent Voice quality on IP is observed across concrete walls on both mobile and laptops.
I was about to stay away from TP Link and the above post has caused the confusion again

IMHO, for my kind of use like couple of hours daily and little bit extended over the weekend, anything above 5k is a overkill.

Like R2D2 mentioned, I have no NAS or multiple machines connected over wifi/LAN.

Apple TV, couple of mobiles, Echo Dot, PS3 is the list of devices which will consume internet.

As far as the discussion here, I should opt out of N band router and get a dual band which supports AC. Any thing else should I be worried about?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks