Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2017, 14:18   #1546
BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Thanks alto, Thad, binand and greenhorn.

Looked at OpenDNS and it looks interesting. One practical problem is that the custom filter I create is applied based on my IP address. Now, my IP is dynamically alloted, so they suggest installation of a synchronization software on my computer to sync the IP with their server. Not too sure if I want to go down this path, but if I do, will update on this thread on how it goes.

That's a nice visualization of the situation
I was actually suggesting the static routing in the router/modem itself. I have a very old BSNL provided Huawei WA1003 modem/router which can be configured for static routing. What I did was took the IP addresses of those offending bsnl sites and added them with gateway as 192.168.1.123 - ip address which does not exist in your own LAN (assuming modem/router ip address as 192.168.1.1)
Old 22nd June 2017, 16:47   #1547
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Given the router (what brand and model is it, BTW?) has an issue with its wireless function attaching another router to the former's LAN port as an AP is a better way of resolving this issue.

Most ISP supplied CPEs are low quality by default. Ask them if you can use another more advanced router with your connection. Which ISP is this?
Its a Technicolor DC7200 (I checked, its a Cisco company) and Netplus ISP (Its a cable operator ISP that has just come up all over Punjab).

Agreed, they do give the cheapest they can give, but in the past the speeds were low that I didn't care that much. But I can't complain much this time since it was given free (no installation charges) in return of my old ADSL modem that I had bought in the BSNL broadband days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
That is doable by setting up their CPE in bridge mode, and allowing Internet access to only the first N (N = 1 to restrict to just one device) MACs that come through. Or allow only N active MACs at a given time. All possible with existing technology.

Cable ISPs in India are known to do a lot of such stuff, since they price their product so low.
Yeah I guess what you're saying is doable but my ISP bound the MAC of the modem/router, and I can connect pretty much any number of devices except that one. Dont know maybe it causes a conflict with the router.

One of my friends also told me about a similar problem with his HP laptop and an iBall router on BSNL ADSL, he had to use an external wifi dongle to circumvent it.
Old 22nd June 2017, 17:47   #1548
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Its a Technicolor DC7200 (I checked, its a Cisco company) and Netplus ISP (Its a cable operator ISP that has just come up all over Punjab).

Agreed, they do give the cheapest they can give, but in the past the speeds were low that I didn't care that much. But I can't complain much this time since it was given free (no installation charges) in return of my old ADSL modem that I had bought in the BSNL broadband days.
Just read the owners manual on the internet. I think you're pretty much tied to this cable modem as they are using MAC filtering and buying a cable modem from the market is difficult due to the fact most CPEs in India are for use on ADSL/VDSL lines.

The best thing to do would be to switch off the cable modem's Wi-Fi and use your current Wi-Fi router as an Access Point.
Old 22nd June 2017, 18:17   #1549
BANNED

Quote:
Just read the owners manual on the internet. I think you're pretty much tied to this cable modem as they are using MAC filtering and buying a cable modem from the market is difficult due to the fact most CPEs in India are for use on ADSL/VDSL lines.

The best thing to do would be to switch off the cable modem's Wi-Fi and use your current Wi-Fi router as an Access Point.
Exactly what I'm thinking, I've already turned off the Wireless of the technicolor.
Old 24th June 2017, 16:43   #1550
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Dear all,

I was looking to replace my single antenna TP-Link router with a dual antenna wifi router. My main objective is to increase the range as my work area is about 30 ft away from the router.

I shortlisted following two, please let me know the better one considering range of signal (D-Link DIR-615 Wireless N 300 Router vs TP-LINK TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N):

http://www.amazon.in/dp/B0085IATT6/r...I2GW8N8IPPXUPX

http://www.amazon.in/TP-LINK-TL-WR84...YAPXNQ5H5NQJGD
Old 24th June 2017, 16:51   #1551
Senior - BHPian

Just curious if anyone here is using Ubiquity Unifi equipment here? I am sick and tired of consumer class routers. I have two internet connections and the current setup of two Netgear r7000 routers is getting a bit long in the tooth. Has anyone here had success with Unifi equipment? Budget ain't a big problem.
Old 24th June 2017, 16:53   #1552
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Dear all,

I was looking to replace my single antenna TP-Link router with a dual antenna wifi router. My main objective is to increase the range as my work area is about 30 ft away from the router.
I dont have an experience with the exact models that you are considering, but I have compared 2 models of the company Tenda, one which had one antenna and one which has 2. Both had equal range(Later I found out that amazon reviews suggested the same), the only difference is that the 2 antennas promise more throughput (Max 300 vs 150 mbps), for increasing your range, I would suggest incorporating another access point into your network somewhere midway between you and your router.

The sleekest way is to use a Repeater. Like The Mi Wifi Repeater, costs 999
or get another router and use it in repeater mode, AFAIK the Tenda and TP-Link routers support it
The most reliable way, would be to connect the 2nd router with an Ethernet cable.
Old 24th June 2017, 16:57   #1553
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Just curious if anyone here is using Ubiquity Unifi equipment here? I am sick and tired of consumer class routers. I have two internet connections and the current setup of two Netgear r7000 routers is getting a bit long in the tooth. Has anyone here had success with Unifi equipment? Budget ain't a big problem.
What kind of problems are you facing? If it is range then the best option is to wire your home with CAT5E/CAT6 cable and use one of the routers as an AP and the other as a router/firewall.

Have you tried custom firmware from DD-WRT, Tomato or XWRT/Merlin? Try them out you have nothing to lose. Only thing follow instructions carefully or you'll brick the router. I use XWRT on one of my Linksys AC routers and DD-WRT on the other. The Asus AC router runs Merlin's custom firmware

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php...r-r7000.71108/
Old 24th June 2017, 17:11   #1554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What kind of problems are you facing? If it is range then the best option is to wire your home with CAT5E/CAT6 cable and use one of the routers as an AP and the other as a router/firewall.

Have you tried custom firmware from DD-WRT, Tomato or XWRT/Merlin? Try them out you have nothing to lose. Only thing follow instructions carefully or you'll brick the router. I use XWRT on one of my Linksys AC routers and DD-WRT on the other. The Asus AC router runs Merlin's custom firmware

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php...r-r7000.71108/
Primarily I need auto switchover when one line goes dead and load balancing if available. I tried 3 of the load balancing routers available locally and all of them are really bad in terms of routing from wan to lan. Also the WiFi signal is there everywhere but at the extreme ends of the house, the throughputs are pretty poor.

I have tried the open source firmware - ddwrt and tomato. The primary issue is the lack of hardware acceleration for routing. They all perform worse with open firmware.

Hence was wondering if a proper managed network will solve this issue. The two internet connections are a 125mbps act and a 40mbps Airtel vdsl so normal cheap load balancers fail.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 24th June 2017 at 17:13.
Old 24th June 2017, 17:28   #1555
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Primarily I need auto switchover when one line goes dead and load balancing if available. I tried 3 of the load balancing routers available locally and all of them are really bad in terms of routing from wan to lan. Also the WiFi signal is there everywhere but at the extreme ends of the house, the throughputs are pretty poor.

I have tried the open source firmware - ddwrt and tomato. The primary issue is the lack of hardware acceleration for routing. They all perform worse with open firmware.

Hence was wondering if a proper managed network will solve this issue. The two internet connections are a 125mbps act and a 40mbps Airtel vdsl so normal cheap load balancers fail.
You get auto switch AKA fail over and fail back function over in Asus routers (called dual WAN) and it also performs the function of load balancing. However, it is best not to load balance two connections with vastly disparate capacities. Use one for main and the other for fail over. I have a You BB 100 Mbps main connection and a 4 Mbps BSNL ADSL connection used solely as a fail over when YBB is down.

Incidentally one of my Linksys routers is a EA6900 which has similar innards as your R7000

You may get the same functionality as the Asus if you "upgrade" your router firmware to XWRT AKA Cross Vortex. Here are the download links:

http://xvtx.ru/xwrt/download.htm

Follow the instructions at the linksysinfo site carefully. I use a dedicated firewall/router appliance and only use the Wi-Fi routers as APs. This works best for me.
Old 26th June 2017, 22:16   #1556
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for a dual-band router (2.4, 5 Ghz) which has good support of OpenWRT.

If dual WAN support is also there then that is a bonus.
Old 26th June 2017, 22:26   #1557
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I am looking for a dual-band router (2.4, 5 Ghz) which has good support of OpenWRT. If dual WAN support is also there then that is a bonus.
What's your budget? Depending on that consider models from Asus, Netgear, and Linksys. Next in line are TP-Link & Tenda.

These are not in order of preference.

PS - Take a look at this http://in.pcmag.com/asus-rt-ac88u-du...can-run-dd-wrt

PPS - Forgot to mention D-Link

Last edited by R2D2 : 26th June 2017 at 22:30. Reason: Added PS
Old 26th June 2017, 23:11   #1558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Dear all,

I shortlisted following two, please let me know the better one considering range of signal (D-Link DIR-615 Wireless N 300 Router vs TP-LINK TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N):

http://www.amazon.in/dp/B0085IATT6/r...I2GW8N8IPPXUPX

http://www.amazon.in/TP-LINK-TL-WR84...YAPXNQ5H5NQJGD
I'm using the TL WR 841N after a friend recommended it to me - It replaced three routers! ( one toto link a2004ns (an ac router i got with my airtel fiber), one D link DSL 2600U and one beetel 450TC1 (latter two were being used as wired repeaters) the ac one had good range, but kept dropping connections

The TP Link had better range and was more stable across the house

Last edited by greenhorn : 26th June 2017 at 23:16.
Old 10th July 2017, 11:52   #1559
BHPian

Quote:
I'm in exactly the same situation. I bought the TP-Link R480T+ load balancing router, and set it up with 3 WAN inputs and load balancing and auto failover. With lots of fine tuning was able to get it to work pretty decently and just how I need it to.

Have you tried this? Pretty cheap for the job it does, but there is no Wi-Fi included so you'll need a separate router - which I think is better anyway to get a dedicated wireless access point.

Quote:
I've also been looking at getting this Ubiquity access point: https://www.amazon.co.uk/UBIQUITI-NE...+UAP-AC-PRO-US

It seems the best of Ubiquity's range in that price point. If I get it I'll give you my verdict. Which models were you thinking of?
Old 10th July 2017, 12:26   #1560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
I'm in exactly the same situation. I bought the TP-Link R480T+ load balancing router, and set it up with 3 WAN inputs and load balancing and auto failover. With lots of fine tuning was able to get it to work pretty decently and just how I need it to.

Have you tried this? Pretty cheap for the job it does, but there is no Wi-Fi included so you'll need a separate router - which I think is better anyway to get a dedicated wireless access point.

I've also been looking at getting this Ubiquity access point: https://www.amazon.co.uk/UBIQUITI-NE...+UAP-AC-PRO-US

It seems the best of Ubiquity's range in that price point. If I get it I'll give you my verdict. Which models were you thinking of?
Have tried that one and returned it back. It is limited to 100mbps and routing performance is not even that much. I have a 125mbps main connection and a 40mbps alternate now.

I was looking at the same ubiquiti AP plus their security gateway and a few other things.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks