4.1 19 5.99%
5.1 56 17.67%
7.1 10 3.15%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2016, 21:20   #226
BHPian

Re: Which computer speakers do you use

The THX certified 2.1 Logitech is your best bet. You just wont miss your sub woofer when you have this playing as your computer speakers. Do not turn up the volume too much as it could lead to hard drive corruption if its the spinning spindle variety. SSD should be your choice if you like to turn up the bass too much. I have corrupted one HDD by listening to 50cents at too high volume with the bass turned all the way up during one of those lazy Sundays a few months ago. It has real 200 watt RMS output.

At flipkart it costs double of what it cost on other websites.
http://www.amazon.in/Logitech-Z-623-.../dp/B003VAHYTG

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/logi...r-system/29374

http://www.flipkart.com/logitech-z62...mczzcaqkqmrqms

Last edited by drpullockaran : 14th February 2016 at 21:22.
Old 14th February 2016, 22:36   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Today checked out some systems. Philips definitely better than F&D and even the Sony D100

Tried out this model
http://www.infibeam.com/Home_Enterta...924-cat-z.html
Do you only want to buy a 5.1 speaker system? Or is a 2.1 set up fine with you as well?

I don't recommend Philips, because I have seen my friends subwoofer rattling, and I own a Philips 2.1 as well, and the circuit board had blown after a power fluctuation. Sound quality is good, but not that great. If you can up your budget by just a little, I completely recommend the Logitech z623. They are brilliant speakers for the price, and are THX certified too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Can someone help me source sound card for Creative 5.1 speakers? It isn't available here.
Creative Sound Blaster 5.1 cards are easily available online sir. Here's a link for one: http://www.snapdeal.com/product/crea...h:sound%20card

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
The THX certified 2.1 Logitech is your best bet. You just wont miss your sub woofer when you have this playing as your computer speakers.
+1

I absolutely agree with you. The Logitech z623 is a brilliant set of speakers, and I will certainly buy them this year, as I have a complete computer upgrade planned.

For anyone who hasn't seen the performance of these speakers, please do watch this video.

Old 14th February 2016, 22:47   #228
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Do you only want to buy a 5.1 speaker system? Or is a 2.1 set up fine with you as well?
2.1 is good as long as it has bluetooth+ usb. I was quite happy with F&D. That is why Phillips seems such an upgrade!
Old 14th February 2016, 23:20   #229
BHPian

Quote:
2.1 is good as long as it has bluetooth+ usb. I was quite happy with F&D. That is why Phillips seems such an upgrade!
If those 2 features are important for you, then I would agree that Philips might be the best option you can buy at that price range. You have heard them yourself, and are satisfied with the sound and power output, so I say go for them.

My speakers are always plugged into a Desktop or Laptop PC, so I don't find the need for either of those features at all. Besides, the sound is better and much more adjustable through a computer
Old 15th February 2016, 15:33   #230
BHPian

Quote:
The THX certified 2.1 Logitech is your best bet.
..Do not turn up the volume too much as it could lead to hard drive corruption
http://www.amazon.in/Logitech-Z-623-.../dp/B003VAHYTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
I don't recommend Philips, because I have seen my friends subwoofer rattling, and I own a Philips 2.1 as well,
I absolutely agree with you. The Logitech z623 is a brilliant set of speakers, and I will certainly buy them this year, as I have a complete computer upgrade planned.

For anyone who hasn't seen the performance of these speakers, please do watch this video.
I was so so so convinced about not spending more than 5K INR on our next purchase of a 2.1 system, until I googled & read this.
We would be replacing a really old Altec Lancing 2.1 with great bass & clarity.
If it were upto me, I would be okay with puny iball tarang or whatever like Creative something A255

But, since my better half is a freelance artist, I thought it was justified to have a Hi-Fidelty speakers, even though we are looking at 2.1 system, which will basically just play music from her music collection (at times)/youtube/gaming music from my PS3.
She has her primary - neutral monitors for her practice & stuff, so by no means is this speaker going to be for professional use.

So, I had made up my mind to look at these:
Philips MMS4545B, BT Bass, 2.1, 45W @3840 INR @ Vijaysales
Philips MMS6080B Blue Thunder Home Theater System 60W, BT, 2.1 @ 4000 INR
OR
Ultimately:
Panasonic SC-HT20GW-K 2.1 Channel Speaker, wall mountable, 2.1, RemC, 60W @ 4990 @ Vijaysales

But, then this>>
Quote:
If you can up your budget by just a little
And looking at those reviews & stuff about
The Logitech Z 263 @ 8K INR
*sigh* (lol)

Any of the above speakers will be for our living room, which is 10'x15'
Tv in the corner, as indicated in the attached layout.

Advice, Suggestions - Welcome (as long as they are not going to prepare me for spending more!!!)

Which computer speakers do you use-living-layout.jpg

Thanks,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 15th February 2016 at 15:36.
Old 15th February 2016, 19:11   #231
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post

Advice, Suggestions - Welcome (as long as they are not going to prepare me for spending more!!!)

Attachment 1476664

Thanks,

Ace.
Hey
We went to multiple shops and tested DA10 and DA100 from sony. Some F&D models worth 5-8K and a couple of low end philips stuff.

What I heard(same song was used for all test) that philips SPA7000B was the best.

Its available on infibeam for 800 INR less than flipkart etc.,(which do not deliver to noida unfortunately).
Therefore once I confirm that infibeam is a safe bet, I would go ahead with the purchase.

When we did the demo, I was expecting the Sony DA100 to be the best, but it did not turn out to be the case.

Another system which got me interested was the F&D6000U. It costs 10K, but snapdeal has a special 50% off.

Unfortunately, they do not ship to my address, and it does not have bluetooth either.

So philips it is!
Old 15th February 2016, 19:49   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Hey
We went to multiple shops ..
What I heard(same song was used for all test) that philips SPA7000B was the best.

Its available on infibeam for 800 INR less than flipkart etc.,(which do not deliver to noida unfortunately).

When we did the demo, I was expecting the Sony DA100 to be the best, but it did not turn out to be the case.

So philips it is!
TSK sir,

Thank you so much for your inputs!
I am going to do exactly the same, I mean, audition our list of speakers

Like expressed above, it's only going to be playing Youtube/occassional songs/game_music.
We are convinced, we should only have 2.1, so most of your options won't be in our audition list.

I am not so 'bright' that I understand all the "stages" & neutrality and all
I will go by the feel of it, set at balanced-EQ-settings & check @ 80% volume
And then with same volume with 80% bass + 80% treble settings.

My test songs:
1. Riders on the storm - (some bass + electronic kinda music)
2. Six Days - Tokyo drift wala song. - (Rap+fastpace)
3. Humma Humma - ARR (Instrument-bonanza)
4. Ranjhana - (Clarity)

If I like it, I forward my suggestion for SO's approval.
She will check and then we move to next speaker on the list.

We will rinse & repeat until we get a deal within 4-6K range.

I guess, closing that the upcoming weekend, should be possible.

Apart from the 2.1s in my earlier post, feel free to suggest the ones that fit in our budget & serve our purpose.

Just for the record-
Altec Lancing doing the service now - is 121i
5.5W(sat)+9W-sub, but surprisingly almost-loud-enough for our living room!

Thanks again,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 15th February 2016 at 19:50.
Old 16th February 2016, 02:50   #233
BHPian

Quote:

So philips it is!
Congrats sir! Hope they serve you well. I currently own the Philips SPA5300, and other than the transistor failing, which I had to get repaired, the sound quality is good, and I really like the speakers.

Problem is, I used to play in a band when I was younger, and am a big music freak, so the audiophile in me just won't let me remain happy with these speakers, hence the itch to upgrade to better ones

Quote:
TSK sir,

Thank you so much for your inputs!
I am going to do exactly the same, I mean, audition our list of speakers

Like expressed above, it's only going to be playing Youtube/occassional songs/game_music.
We are convinced, we should only have 2.1, so most of your options won't be in our audition list.

I am not so 'bright' that I understand all the "stages" & neutrality and all
I will go by the feel of it, set at balanced-EQ-settings & check @ 80% volume
And then with same volume with 80% bass + 80% treble settings.

If I like it, I forward my suggestion for SO's approval.
She will check and then we move to next speaker on the list.

We will rinse & repeat until we get a deal within 4-6K range.

Apart from the 2.1s in my earlier post, feel free to suggest the ones that fit in our budget & serve our purpose.
Ace.
I think a 2.1 is more than enough for your requirements, unless you are absolutely in love with the surround sound of a 5.1, and are actually going to fix the speakers around the room for that effect. Since you can't stretch your budget, I do think that one of the Philips sets would be the best for you, and I think that sampling them would be the best way to find out.

Good luck, and do let us know what you end up finalizing on

Cheers
Old 16th February 2016, 08:49   #234
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1476664

Thanks,

Ace.
If you cannot afford the Z623 then it is better to keep your Altec. The least you should go for is the cheapest THX certified speakers. Period. As far as I know the cheapest is the Z623. Please hear for yourself the SPA7000B and the Z623. A difference of 110watt RMS is too huge. Come near the end of this financial year you should see deep deep discounts being offered. Last week of March is the best time to purchase deeply discounted goods including automobiles. In case of automobiles last week of December is when you get the best discounts if you intend to keep the vehicle for 10 years and more.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 16th February 2016 at 08:52.
Old 16th February 2016, 12:00   #235
BHPian

Quote:
The THX certified 2.1 Logitech is your best bet.
dr, I've had my eyes on these for a long time, but some negative comments put me off - great (excessive) bass but poor mid-range & highs, etc. I've never auditioned them - don't know where I can do that in Bangalore. Also, unless one auditions in a proper listening room and does an A/B test, it's pointless, because they can sound very different when placed in final position in one's home.

Do you have these? Are you speaking from personal experience?

I have been using Logitech Z4 2.1 speakers for the last few years, and the output volume is enough for me, and the fidelity is good, but one is always looking for more! My use is near-field only, not whole room.

Sometimes I think it's better to build up the budget and just get really good powered bookshelf speakers like Audioengine 5+, Emotiva Airmotiv 6s etc.

Thoughts?
Old 16th February 2016, 14:30   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post

Sometimes I think it's better to build up the budget and just get really good powered bookshelf speakers like Audioengine 5+, Emotiva Airmotiv 6s etc.

Thoughts?
I have the Z623 for the past 1 year and a half. 200 watts RMS does make its presence felt. Bass is over powering if set to mid level. I set it at about 40 percent and it makes perfect music. I am a speaker freak and used to design good speakers about 25 years ago. My main speakers are still the ones I built twenty years ago with Bolton drive units which were the best units in those days. Peerless are the better ones available here these days. The 1.2 meter floor standers were made with cement board (Bison Panel the best material for speakers) and each one weighs in at a hefty 65 kilos. Three drive units in each box with dedicated tri amplification in each box to power the three drive units in each box. I blew up the active amps years ago and now use a cheap external amp with cross overs. They have been dismantled three days ago for refurbishing. Will have them up and running in about three weeks.

I have not heard the Audio Engine 5+ in person but they would blow the Z623 out of the water even if they are 100 watt RMS less and not THX certified as per reviews mentioned on the net. The cost though is prohibitive. The main problem is that to do justice to the Audio Engine you would need loss less music and a good sound card. For the price the Logitech goes for and the source that is used to feed it (basically 320kbps mp3 files, I doubt you would get better punch from any similar speaker. Upper highs are definitely muted in the Z623 but then mp3 files do not have information above 14000hz anyway. In addition I am old and do not hear anything above 13500hz (like all 50 year old men) so god smacking tweeters do not mean a thing to my ears.

If price is no bar then the KEF desktops are your ear's best friend depending on the source you feed it. http://www.kef.com/html/en/showroom/...l#.VsLqOSjHYRk

Last edited by drpullockaran : 16th February 2016 at 14:54.
Old 16th February 2016, 14:35   #237
BHPian

Quote:
I have the Z623 for the past 1 year and a half. 200 watts RMS does make its presence felt. Bass is over powering if set to mid level. I set it at about 40 percent and it makes perfect music.
Thanks dr., wanted this explanation / perspective. I'm not a bass freak. So you say that the Z623 does indeed produce good mids and highs? Clarity, fidelity, purity, and all that?
Old 17th February 2016, 07:55   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
So you say that the Z623 does indeed produce good mids and highs? Clarity, fidelity, purity, and all that?
A thx certified system has to produce fidelity by deafult. It is clear up to about 13000hz but you do have to turn the bass knob down to match the satellites. The satellites do not have the shimmering sound to it which we get from silk domes but for this price you cannot ask for more. Over the years I have gravitated towards single cone speakers as I find them more engaging than speakers that have cross overs. A few months from now I intend to start a project with the below mentioned full range drivers.

http://www.tb-speaker.com/products/detail/128

Old 17th February 2016, 10:50   #239
BHPian

Thank you very much! I will be following your posts with interest to keep tabs on your project!
Old 10th August 2016, 18:29   #240
BHPian

Hello guys.

I am planning to buy a Budget Bluetooth capable 2.1 speaker system to use with my laptop. I have zeroed in on the following item.

http://www.fendaaudio.com/wireless/2...peakers/w130x/

I would like to know how F&D speakers compare with similarly priced creative and altec lansing units. Any first hand reviews for F&D speakers?

Most Viewed