Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2024, 06:28   #12331
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Thanks everyone for the inputs. I've just placed an order on Flipkart for a black Pixel 7. Costed me around 31k. Not my preferred online store to purchase electronics, but the deal offered was too good.

I went through a couple of video reviews and the phone seems to be good enough for my kind of use + always wanted to have a Pixel phone. This is my first purchase without actually experiencing the product in-hand. Hopefully it turns out as expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think (?) that the 7a is actually a younger model than the 7. I don't think there is anything in the comparison columns that I find iresistable, except size, and, on that basis, the 7a wins. It's so hard to find smaller Android phones.
Yes 7a is a newer model. It's tough to pick between the two. Major differentiator is the screen size. Real-life camera performance seems to be marginally better in the 7, even though 7a looks better on paper. Then there are some minor drawbacks with the 7a, like a plastic back and no reverse charging. In terms of price, the 7 is currently cheaper than 7a by around Rs. 2k.

Last edited by self_driven : 6th August 2024 at 06:53.
self_driven is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 14:36   #12332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Then there are some minor drawbacks with the 7a, like a plastic back and no reverse charging.
Congratulations on your new pixel 7 at a good price!

Isn't the plastic back less fragile than glass? I guess metal is ideal, but glass seems to have become a status thing.

If/when I get this, I'll miss the 68W charging of my moto. Half an hour on turbo cha and it is good enough for the rest of the day.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 16:25   #12333
BHPian

Quote:
Isn't the plastic back less fragile than glass? I guess metal is ideal, but glass seems to have become a status thing.
I used to think the same and still would like to avoid full glass body but after using the glass sandwich Pixel 6 for two years, I realized that the glass is less prone to scratches and dents, also much easier to clean. All these characteristics help in keeping the phone in fresh condition for longer period of time unless there is some accidental damage. My Pixel even has seen some drastic drops on stones during trekking-hikking which resulted into couple of dents (not cracks) on the screen. Although the body holds up pretty fine so far, I must say I am impressed by the build quality.

Though I admit that I kept this phone mostly in the back cover due to slippery grip caused by the glass back, but still going by the past record, my previous phone's metal back lost its paint and got many scratches inside the cover whereas the backside of the Pixel still feels new.

The scratch resistant property of the glass is the reason I never used any screen protector on any of my phones so far which contributed in enhanced experience while gliding the figures on the screen for the touch operations.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 6th August 2024 at 16:27.
tbppjpr is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 16:29   #12334
BHPian

I've bought myself a Samsung Galaxy A35 2 months ago. Some deal and card offer brought the price down from 31k to 25k.

Although performance is ordinary on paper, it never lagged in real time usage. I multi-task a lot and this has fared well in all the cases. Didn't really play resource consuming games though.

Coming from a Samsung Note series phone, the A35 does have many features. In fact, almost all features except AI tools. Cameras are decent too.
UI7, Bixby routines, a hybrid sim slot, e-sim compatibility, IP67 rating, NFC, 120GHz adaptive refresh rate etc make up for the lack of AI features (which will be behind a paywall soon anyway). 5 years of updates is a cherry on cake.

I did look at proper flagships like S23 (was around 45k), and S23FE (39k). But their abysmal battery backup is a big No for me.

I would happily suggest anyone looking at mid-range phones to have a look at this one.
Mr.Bentley is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 20:20   #12335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bentley View Post
Coming from a Samsung Note series phone, the A35 does have many features. In fact, almost all features except AI tools.
Probably Samsung heard you.

https://m.gsmarena.com/samsungs_gala...news-63997.php
brownkaiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 22:11   #12336

Quote:

UI7, Bixby routines, a hybrid sim slot, e-sim compatibility, IP67 rating, NFC, 120GHz adaptive refresh rate etc make up for the lack of AI features (which will be behind a paywall soon anyway). 5 years of updates is a cherry on cake.
Congrats on your purchase.

Are you sure about the esim capability? I was also looking to get this, but dropped it as the Samsung site says a35 sold in India don't have esim.
Can you confirm, because if it does have esim, then I might go for it.
Old 6th August 2024, 22:16   #12337

I need help regarding selecting the phone for self use, Budget Rs. 50K to 60k. A bit of a background on my phone Usage.
I have used Samsung A33 5g for 2 years. now from 3 days, my phone is getting restarted randomly every 2 or 5 mins depending on the usage. Probably motherboard went kaput. Also it was getting very slow due to host of apps on it. now i am taking this opportunity to go for new phone.
Budget max. RS 65000. Also android or apple ecosystem doesn't matter to me. All I want from a phone that it should work fluidly for at least 3 to 4 years. Main criteria of phone selection is phone should have good amoled type (min. 1080P) screen, more resolution the better. Processor should be able to handle future apps for at least 3 years. Also I like the software without any embedded bloatware. Basically I need mid range/ if possible upper mid range phone with min 2 years security software updates and it must be reliable phone. Also I had used iPhone SE for at-least 5 years before accidentally dropping it under car tires to render it useless/ beyond repairs. Now I had selected 3 phones
1. Realme 13 pro+ for its specs but i don't know about its durability.
2. Iphone 15 - way beyond my budget but it has durability and it has good support. But do I need spend double the money for similar experience i can get in 30k phones nowadays or am i missing something?
3. One plus 12R - now i had one plus 6T blood red. it was a brilliant phone. i don't know about this 12R, is it any good?
If there are any other good value for money phones that i missed, please suggest. I am avoiding Samsung for now as the current A series and M series phones are not reliable as much and they do tend to slow down after 1 year.
Old 7th August 2024, 06:48   #12338
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremecrd View Post
I need help regarding selecting the phone for self use, Budget Rs. 50K to 60k.
You have many options in this price range. Check if the Samsung S23 Plus is still available on its corporate website. That's a really good phone. Also check out the Oneplus 12 (not the 12R).

And you are right, cheaper phones are getting really good. If you want to save money then get the Oneplus Nord CE 4. It's selling for about 22k and for that money it's a very nice phone.
Old 7th August 2024, 08:03   #12339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremecrd View Post
Main criteria of phone selection is phone should have good amoled type (min. 1080P) screen, more resolution the better. Processor should be able to handle future apps for at least 3 years. Also I like the software without any embedded bloatware. Basically I need mid range/ if possible upper mid range phone with min 2 years security software updates and it must be reliable phone.
Recently launched Moto Edge 50 fits in your criteria at half the cost you are willing to pay. This comes with MIL-810H Military Grade durability certification and their edge series mobiles have gorgeous screen, very bright and colorful. Nifty Moto gesture based features, 2 years OS/3 years security updates, good battery life etc are few standard Motorola highlights apart from that bloat free OS. If MIL grade rating doesn't matter then can look at the Edge 50 Fusion but avoid the Edge 50 pro. Motorola is selling some extremely VFM mobiles.

If less spending makes you feel like having some compromised device then you can wait for the Pixel 9. Google has promised 7 years of OS upgrade from Pixel 8 onwards, you can pick either of them.

If nothing suites then iPhone is there if you are okay with Apple ecosystem.
tbppjpr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 11:40   #12340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itherohan View Post
Samsung site says a35 sold in India don't have esim.
Can you confirm, because if it does have esim, then I might go for it.
I stand corrected. No, A35 does NOT have esim.

Your post made me check the about esim for the first time after I got the device into my hands - and surprise, it doesn't support!
I didn't think that this particular feature would be taken away from Indian devices. I'm sad and disappointed now.

On the Brightside, I'll have AI consoling me soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownkaiser View Post
Old 8th August 2024, 12:34   #12341

Quote:
I stand corrected. No, A35 does NOT have esim.

I didn't think that this particular feature would be taken away from Indian devices. I'm sad and disappointed now.
Thanks for the confirmation. Yes, it makes no sense why all the makers are not giving esim option in Indian phones. Real stepmotherly treatment.

Now as I have to have esim, I have no choice but to increase my budget to flagship phones ( don't want to buy old flagships as I will anyway have to upgrade in a few years then)

I have been happily using the budget Samsung M series phones, and they were good value compared to my wife's exorbitantly priced S series.

I'm just putting off my purchase hoping some new budget phone comes with esim in the next few months.
Old 8th August 2024, 20:22   #12342

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Recently launched Moto Edge 50 fits in your criteria at half the cost you are willing to pay. This comes with MIL-810H Military Grade durability certification
Thanks for the reply. I have selected 2 finalists from whole list. Moto Edge 50 and One plus Nord 4. Between this two, I feel conflicted as Motorola has better screen but Nord 4 has better processor. I will check this two phones in shop as I strongly believe in test ride first for the feel when going for motorcycle, same funda should be applied for phones also. As for the apple, well that dream has been confiscated by better half for herself.
Xtremecrd is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 20:36   #12343
BHPian

Quote:
If/when I get this, I'll miss the 68W charging of my moto. Half an hour on turbo cha and it is good enough for the rest of the day.
I thought you had purchased a Moto G84 which had a charging rating of 30W, and came with a 33W charger! Did you since purchase another Moto as well, with a 68W charger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
The scratch resistant property of the glass is the reason I never used any screen protector on any of my phones so far which contributed in enhanced experience while gliding the figures on the screen for the touch operations.
So are you saying that you have never suffered scratches on your screens under normal use despite not using any screen protectors?! This information is useful. Which kind of scratch resistant glasses did your phones have: which versions of Gorilla glass? Thanks.
meerkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 20:48   #12344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post

So are you saying that you have never suffered scratches on your screens under normal use despite not using any screen protectors?! This information is useful. Which kind of scratch resistant glasses did your phones have: which versions of Gorilla glass? Thanks.
I have never used a screen protector and have never had scratches on the screen.
All phones used by me are/were either Motorola or Nokia.
The one phone that got scratches was a Moorola Razr bought in 2012 and it got scratches in 2016.
Fuldagap is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 21:15   #12345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
All of my previous phones had Gorilla Glass 3, not sure which version the current Pixel 6 has. But one thing different in the Pixel is that it has POLED screen underneath which is basically made of some sort of plastic composite AFAIK so it's more flexible and more shock tolerant. POLED tech also must have helped Motorola achieving the MIL grade rating in the slim body Edge 50 with curved screen, because screen is the weakest part in the mobiles. Maybe we see more mobiles in near future with such durability standards.

Coming back to my Pixel 6, over the top its POLED screen got gorilla glass protection which adds into rigidity. The top glass also has some coating which helps in maintaining the surface smoothness for long period of time. This top coating is something you are not going to get in those screen protectors so the usage experience remains terrible with them.

When I got those little dents on the my Pixel's screen, I rubbed the scratched areas using 'Colgate' as claimed as sure remedy in some DIY videos but ended up removing that top coating from those scratched areas instead of removing the scratches. Now those coat-less patches are clearly visible when the glass is fully cleaned up, they also feels rough when figures go over those.

Let me share the incident with my previous phone where got the screen broken after using it for more than 2 years. I got the screen replaced with the aftermarket one, got the Pixel 6 and handed over the repaired mobile to my son for the time being as his first mobile. The aftermarket screen thereafter kept breaking within few months, obviously because it was made of some normal glass and surface also felt rough compared to the original screen which is more obvious to someone like me who is habitual of using the original glass surface which comes with the mobiles.

Mobiles have very short lifespan, thanks to this extreme capitalist era where the companies are not going to let us use them for long, no matter how carefully we keep them. I believe no point in protecting something where we know the end is sure and its near. So better we use every bit of the package we bought using our hard earned money instead of paying unnecessary attention on protecting it and spoiling our user experience.

Same theory with my car where I like to enjoy the shinning look when it is fully clean but I also believe that no point using something like PPF to protect the paint when the paint itself is going to survive much longer with far greater shining than how much it will after having PPF on it.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 8th August 2024 at 21:37.
tbppjpr is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks