Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2024, 22:31   #12211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Congratulations, I think this phone will serve you well.
Thanks! We are settling in nicely together
Quote:
They had one last piece left and quoted me 19k. I quickly checked Flipkart, where it was listed for 18k without any card offers. I asked them if they'd match that price and they flatly refused. So I walked out.
I knew that it was cheaper online. I wanted a new phone before going away for a week. I was putting it off but my wife urged me to get it bought. I could not have got that phone delivered in time, so I put the thousand or two price difference out of my head. It has been noted that Moto seem to sell through very few on-the-street sellers, so it was not as if I could easily have tried a few more shops.

That was my priorities on the day. Another day, I might have thought and done the same as you, especially when buying from a big-company store.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 20:04   #12212
BHPian

Need some quick advice. A friend of a friend of a friend is saying that he is getting a Samsung S24+ at AED 2950 (INR 66,600) in Dubai. Current Indian prices are around 1.05 lakh.

I checked a couple of .ae websites (Jumbo electronics, Sharaf DG etc) and they are quoting the phone at AED 3800 (INR 86000).

The price quoted by the friend*3 seems too good to be true. Do you really get such bargains in some stores there? What should I do?
Old 26th February 2024, 21:14   #12213
ike
BHPian

I'm currently using an S21 that is now about 3 years old and the battery barely lasts half the day. I'm considering an iPhone but the prices are a huge shock. My questions are:
  • Is it too much of a hassle shifting from an Android after having used it for a decade to the iOS environment? Will it be difficult to cope?
  • Is it worth the price? Usually I buy a flagship model and use it for about 3-4 years which is usually end of life for Android phones I have used.
  • I have never spent this kind of money on a phone before, is it more sensible to wait for them to launch the iPhone 16 and then get a 15 Pro Max or Pro hopefully at a much lower rate than now? Currently I believe I can mange with the current phone for a few more (maybe two or three) months.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th February 2024 at 21:21. Reason: Typos and capitalisation.
ike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 21:35   #12214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post

Is it too much of a hassle shifting from an Android after having used it for a decade to the iOS environment? Will it be difficult to cope?
Definitely a hassle, how much depends on your tolerence level. A few months down the line, you will appreciate the simpler interface compared to Android.
Quote:
Is it worth the price? Usually I buy a flagship model and use it for about 3-4 years which is usually end of life for Android phones I have used.
Definitley worth the price. Not only will it last you for several years, when you sell it off you will get a decent resale price.
Quote:
I have never spent this kind of money on a phone before, is it more sensible to wait for them to launch the iPhone 16 and then get a 15 Pro Max or Pro hopefully at a much lower rate than now? Currently I believe I can mange with the current phone for a few more (maybe two or three) months.
In the 2024 BBD the iphone 15 will be available for ~50K. There will not be great discounts on the pro variants. If you really want the pro variants, better get it from overseas.

Last edited by dragonfire : 26th February 2024 at 21:37.
dragonfire is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 01:24   #12215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Thanks! We are settling in nicely together
Being one of the elders around here, this may not be problem for too many others (although hearing loss is not always age related) but one unfortunate thing is that the Moto G84 5g does not seem to be compatible with the expensive (a couple of lakh!) hearing aids that I already had on order. Disappointing: I wasn't expecting hifi, but was hoping to be able to stream content from the phone, as well as phone calls. Some things almost work. Whatsapp voice calls work, But phone phone calls do not, and there isn't a compromise because the hearing-aid bluetooth connection kills the phone speaker without actually passing sound to the hearing aids.

Oh well....
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 07:20   #12216
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is it too much of a hassle shifting from an Android after having used it for a decade to the iOS environment? Will it be difficult to cope?
Most probably yes! Unless you are open to the so-called closed environment of iOS. Someone in my circle recently moved from S20 to iPhone 15 Pro and one month into it, he is looking to sell the iPhone and go back to Android. The experience could be different for you, but this is a possibility.

IMO, your best bet would be a S23/S23+. Battery life is great, quite lightweight, and camera is extremely competent.
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 08:56   #12217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
..... Moto G84 5g does not seem to be compatible with the expensive (a couple of lakh!) hearing aids that I already had on order. Disappointing: I wasn't expecting hifi, but was hoping to be able to stream content from the phone, as well as phone calls. Some things almost work. Whatsapp voice calls work, But phone phone calls do not, and there isn't a compromise because the hearing-aid bluetooth connection kills the phone speaker without actually passing sound to the hearing aids.
Does this help?
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/moto-g-...ds/m-p/5105812

Which brand is your hearing aid?
Old 27th February 2024, 08:58   #12218
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
[*]Is it too much of a hassle shifting from an Android after having used it for a decade to the iOS environment? Will it be difficult to cope?
About as difficult to cope as the shift from driving a naturally aspirated petrol car for a decade to a turbo diesel car. Meaning, there are some differences sure, but then it takes just a few weeks to get used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-saan View Post
Most probably yes! Someone in my circle recently moved from S20 to iPhone 15 Pro and one month into it, he is looking to sell the iPhone and go back to Android.
The simplest way for a new iOS user to feel at home is to download a whole bunch of Google/Microsoft apps, and ditch many of the iOS phone apps. So first time iOS user has to download the following immediately after entering Apple ID:

- Google Photos
- Microsoft Onedrive (for backup/file transfer to Windows desktop/laptop or another android phone)
- Google Chrome (Safari app is clunky)
- Google Maps (better than Apple Maps, atleast in India)
- Gmail app (so that you feel at home)

Add Google Account username/password to 'contacts' and each of the above apps, and you are good to go. Cloud apps like Google Photos & Microsoft Onedrive (Google Drive is unreliable) has made the transition super easy now.

Last edited by SmartCat : 27th February 2024 at 09:05.
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 09:13   #12219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Need some quick advice
You have not mentioned the ROM. Higher the space higher the price.
Old 27th February 2024, 10:00   #12220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm currently using an S21 that is now about 3 years old and the battery barely lasts half the day. I'm considering an iPhone but the prices are a huge shock. My questions are:
  • Is it too much of a hassle shifting from an Android after having used it for a decade to the iOS environment? Will it be difficult to cope?
  • Is it worth the price? Usually I buy a flagship model and use it for about 3-4 years which is usually end of life for Android phones I have used.
  • I have never spent this kind of money on a phone before, is it more sensible to wait for them to launch the iPhone 16 and then get a 15 Pro Max or Pro hopefully at a much lower rate than now? Currently I believe I can mange with the current phone for a few more (maybe two or three) months.
Let me try to address this. I have been an android user all my life and considered iphone to be an expensive show off device. Then my wife got an iPhone 13. As I fiddled with it I realized it's something which suits me a lot. I got iphone 13 too for myself and after using it for 14 months I got 15 plus last November. Safe to say I am quite satisfied with the pros and cons of an iPhone.

Now coming to your questions.

1. No, it's not a hassle. Just a little inconvenience for couple of days to get familiar with iOS. I used Samsung switch if memory serves right to transfer all data to iphone and it was a smooth one. I am sure someone in your circle must be using an iPhone. Check it out for sometime and see if you like the UI.

2. I find all flagships expensive and overpriced. No matter the brand. But, that's the trend now that even Xiaomi are launching phones at 80k price. Iphone has the best resale. So, even if Samsung is at the same buying price, iphone will fetch more at selling. For 3-4 years iphone won't even feel anything of slowing down.

3. Iphone 16 will stay at launch price for few months. Better get iphone 15 in June when it's Amazon prime day sale. I expect price to be around 60k or less at that time. If you want a pro model get it from outside India. Will save you 40k atleast.

Best part of iphone is even after purchase if you don't like it, just sell it and you will lose only a few thousand.

Ps- if you need great battery, I will suggest 15 plus instead of 15. Battery gives easy 10+ hours of screen on time.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 10:01   #12221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
The simplest way for a new iOS user to feel at home is to download a whole bunch of Google/Microsoft apps, and ditch many of the iOS phone apps.
This... is gold.

I still use mostly Google Apps - Maps, Photos, Chrome. Switched from Gmail to iOS Mail app only recently. Even Safari is used sparingly. And for storage I use both Google One and iCloud.

ps: I must be crazy cos I backup my photos to iCloud, Google Photos and Amazon Photos.
dragonfire is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 10:11   #12222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
This... is gold.

I still use mostly Google Apps - Maps, Photos, Chrome. Switched from Gmail to iOS Mail app only recently. Even Safari is used sparingly. And for storage I use both Google One and iCloud.

ps: I must be crazy cos I backup my photos to iCloud, Google Photos and Amazon Photos.
No, you aren't the only one. I too backup my photos to all those

I use Google maps as they work much better than Apple maps.
Gmail cos it's always been like that.
Google Chrome as I find it easier to navigate than Safari.
Apple music as it's part of iCloud subscription which I share with my wife.
For notes I still use Google keep.

I believe everything works so well depending on priorities.
harry10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 11:01   #12223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Apple music as it's part of iCloud subscription which I share with my wife.
Apple Music comes free with iCloud? Which plan? I have the 200GB plan and when I start Apple Music it asks me to pay up.

BTW, another reason why I still use Google apps is that my secondary phone is an Android so it is easy switching between devices.
Old 27th February 2024, 12:22   #12224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post
You have not mentioned the ROM. Higher the space higher the price.
It was the 16GB/256GB variant. Anyway I have decided not to go ahead with it, as I didn't want to take a risk especially when the person who is buying it is 3 connections away.
Old 27th February 2024, 13:03   #12225
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
The simplest way for a new iOS user to feel at home is to download a whole bunch of Google/Microsoft apps, and ditch many of the iOS phone apps. So first time iOS user has to download the following immediately after entering Apple ID:
Valid points, and definitely help the transition with some of the day-to-day apps listed. But many times, it is not just the apps. The overall approach in handling the devices are very different – whether it is gesture controls, handling of notifications, to managing simple things like setting an alarm using native clock app. I use an iPhone 15 Pro as my personal device, and S23 as my work phone; won’t say one is better than the other, but its just different experience.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks