Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2024, 17:55   #12196
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

What are the good Android phones one can get currently for a budget of about 35k INR?

Requirements - big screen, watch video, listen to music, decent camera.

Nothing Phone 1 is an option

Last edited by NPV : 20th February 2024 at 17:58.
Old 20th February 2024, 18:03   #12197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
What are the good Android phones one can get currently for a budget of about 35k INR?
I have to give back my company Samsung S22+ phone in a month. I am looking at Android phones in the same range with similar requirements. I am leaning towards Samsung Galaxy A55, which is rumoured to be getting released by March end, or will stretch my budget to get a Samsung S23 FE. Personally I wouldn't go for Chinese phones.
DigitalOne is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 19:15   #12198
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

Requirements - big screen, watch video, listen to music, decent camera.

Nothing Phone 1 is an option
There's been a huge price cut on the Nothing Phone 2. The 12GB RAM + 256 GB storage variant is now listed on Flipkart for 35k. Check that out.
Oxy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 20:03   #12199
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
I am leaning towards Samsung Galaxy A55, which is rumoured to be getting released by March end, or will stretch my budget to get a Samsung S23 FE. Personally I wouldn't go for Chinese phones.
I’m not a fan of Samsung phones, so I’ll prefer to avoid them. Nothing phones are not like the other phones from Xiaomi, etc - good spec hardware, no intrusive ads and apps.
Old 20th February 2024, 21:17   #12200
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
I am leaning towards Samsung Galaxy A55, which is rumoured to be getting released by March end, or will stretch my budget to get a Samsung S23 FE. Personally I wouldn't go for Chinese phones.
In my experience, you can't replace an S with an A. I just bought S23FE for my mom last week, while it is quite slick, the optical fingerprint scanner makes it feel lower than the other S. Also note that S23FE uses exonos processor, which is from S22 sold in Europe, I'd rate that slightly lower than S22 sold in India.

Want to replace S22+, buy another S22+ or stretch to a S23+. S23FE will probably be the closest downgrade to Indian S22+.
SLK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 21:37   #12201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
In my experience, you can't replace an S with an A. .
Thanks for the tip! While I agree that the performance of an S can't be matched by an A, I am just thinking that the usage of my phone is also going to come down as I won't use it for work. So an A might just be enough.

Or I might still indulge myself and go for an S24+. After all, You Only Retire (early) Once .
DigitalOne is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 22:52   #12202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
Glad you could find one.
Yes, it seems I was lucky!

Quote:
How is your Mi A1 dying?
The battery needs charging at least twice a day, and I am only a light user! It could probably be replaced but...

Software-wise it is stuttering, slow and unreliable in many small ways.

I rooted it. One option was to return it to stock, apply all available updates, and see how close to new-phone I could get my old phone to be. Truth is that I just wasn't getting around to that project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap View Post
Would love to hear your opinion about the Moto, you being an Mi user before.
Thanks for your feedback. I had a Moto X Play before my Mi A1: it fell, unnoticed, out of a car door and was not seen again.
Sad: I liked it.

I bought this phone two days before a trip and hurriedly set it up to look and feel like the old one (except for the "dying" bit of course!)

I changed to my usual Nova launcher. It doesn't seem to work 100% with the Moto. I'll review this when I get home in a few days.

Apart from that, and the usual long-thin-aspect-ratio gripe, it's just nice to have a phone that works smoothly.

I might post more after getting home. I have at least one question!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 03:09   #12203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
... I have at least one question!
(re Moto G84)

Any way to get Google+moto messages telling to "complete setup" by installing apps that I don't want?

I'm guessing that I just have to do it, then remove, disable, or just plain ignore them.

Battery life anecdote: I used the phone all day today to track a twelve-hour journey. It was not charged enroute and finished the day at 5% and still running. According to Settings/Battery that was over nine hours each of Google Maps and screen-on time. As well as Maps, did various bits of browsing.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 08:47   #12204
BHPian

Quote:
(re Moto G84)

Any way to get Google+moto messages telling to "complete setup" by installing apps that I don't want?

I'm guessing that I just have to do it, then remove, disable, or just plain ignore them.
IIRC There should be an option to uncheck and proceed.

And then there is another option after the "complete setup" step, you will be greeted with few options where you can check or uncheck like apps, data, settings etc, where choose which option you want to carry on from the previous setup.
tbppjpr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 16:01   #12205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
IIRC There should be an option to uncheck and proceed.
There is only an [OK] button on the notification. I suppose I have to bite the bullet and click it.

A handful of unwanted apps is not the worst thing in the world. Depending on their behaviour, of course.

<What happened>

It just went straight into installing the apps. No other options. This is bully-boy behaviour and I don't like it. But, like I said, not the worst thing in the world.

Another bullet bitten today: have switched from 3-button to gesture navigation. That is going to take a lot of getting used to, but I think it will be worth the effort. Screens look a lot nicer without the three buttons.

PS: Have just uninstalled a couple of the unwanteds, so can probably get rid of most of them. And some I actually don't mind having.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 24th February 2024 at 16:06.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 20:16   #12206
BHPian

Quote:
It just went straight into installing the apps. No other options. This is bully-boy behaviour and I don't like it. But, like I said, not the worst thing in the world.
This is strange because we just recently bought Moto Edge 40 Neo which must be having same OS and UI and it asked me with options what to restore and what not. Although one thing I did different was I plugged the old mobile with the new mobile using the supplied USB C cable before setting up. So maybe you format and try that way if you still have the data in the old mobile.

Quote:
Another bullet bitten today: have switched from 3-button to gesture navigation. That is going to take a lot of getting used to, but I think it will be worth the effort. Screens look a lot nicer without the three buttons.
Well it may feel awkward in the beginning but once you get used to of, its lot easier to navigate. And for many of the actions, there are many gestures so keep exploring them.

For example you swipe upwards from the down edge to get the list of opened apps in the cached memory and there you can toggle between them by swiping left or right, its two step gesture. But you can also switch the apps just by swiping the line visible at the bottom sideways.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 24th February 2024 at 20:18.
tbppjpr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 03:02   #12207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
And for many of the actions, there are many gestures so keep exploring them.
I will. Although one gesture I used to use a lot was two fingers, swipe down, for the volume panel.
Old 25th February 2024, 19:44   #12208
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
On my way home this evening I stopped at Kotivakkam Axis Bank atm. I noticed that Relliance Digital was still open, so I did the u-turn and called in.

Moto 84G, 256Gb internal, Midnight Blue, he read off the box in his hand. I bought it.
Congratulations, I think this phone will serve you well.

My mother in law's four year old Oneplus 7T developed a green line on it's screen last week, so I decided to walk into the Reliance Digital near my home and check the G84 out.

They had one last piece left and quoted me 19k. I quickly checked Flipkart, where it was listed for 18k without any card offers. I asked them if they'd match that price and they flatly refused. So I walked out.

I would have liked to buy it from them but why should I pay more for the same stuff that's available cheaper online? Brick and mortar stores need to realize this else they will keep losing customers.

Last edited by Oxy : 25th February 2024 at 19:48.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 21:47   #12209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
t why should I pay more for the same stuff that's available cheaper online? Brick and mortar stores need to realize this else they will keep losing customers.
They would be never able to match the online offers. They have rent, salaries, inventory for every single store, not the same for on line model.

It would be the same for many of our employers, went to pay for this human when a machine will do the work at a fraction of cost?
aadya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 22:00   #12210
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
They would be never able to match the online offers. They have rent, salaries, inventory for every single store, not the same for on line model.
Well, I had bought a television from them last month and they were happy to give me a price that was better than the online prices at that time. So maybe margins are thin when it comes to items that cost less than a certain number.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks