Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2024, 17:09   #12181
BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

I hope so: I keep my phones for years!
I have a Moto G82. I have always used a Motorola or a Nokia phone for close to 20 years now. Your G84 is a notch better than the G82, although both come with the same processor. Motos charmly last as long as they are not physically damaged properly. Have never got to the point where I have to go to a service center for any of my phones yet.

Would love to hear your opinion about the Moto, you being an Mi user before.
Fuldagap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2024, 17:22   #12182
BHPian

I am posting the query here since I don't find any other appropriate thread..

My cousin is working in a company where he needs to go into exhibitions in various countries in Asia and South East Asia frequently. Till now, in last 6 months, he had to travel to Thailand, Vietnam, Hongkong, China and Bangladesh. He expects his next travels are Vietnam, Taiwan and South Korea. In each country he spends hardly few days or max a week. Right now, he has to buy local SIM card for local internet and calling.
What options does he have that can help him to avoid these local sim purchases every time?
Right now he doesn't have eSIM based phone but I have insisted he buy one because he can use those apps that provide instant eSIM through app which one needs to just download over wifi and gives local data. But most of them I guess don't give calling feature. That feature would be great too to have but not compulsory.

Can anyone suggest what options he should opt for? Also he has some android device and I know android devices do come with Esim feature but I am not in androids now so my knowledge is bad on them so which is a good android with esim feature to get? Or should I tell him to get iPhone?
Old 18th February 2024, 21:45   #12183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Samsung service center will not have that battery because there will be no demand for it. Google "original samsung <modelname> battery" and buy online.

we have an old Samsung Galaxy J7 that we use for alarm mostly (we have alarm going off atleast 8 times in a day). This discourages the use of smartphone as soon as we wake up. Battery availability is not a problem.
I've seen those "original Samsung" batteries online which are anything but! Purchasing from obviously fake product sellers is not something I'm too keen about. The reviews also are not confidence inspiring.

I've also looked for batteries in offline stores which promise ~1 year lifespan (originals last > 5-6 years). Those are Chinese products, and I've had problems with such batteries previously (poor charge storage, bulging out etc.).

When you said "Battery availability is not a problem", did you mean you were able to source reliable batteries online (for your J7, for example)? Any particular seller you can recommend?

I'm intrigued by your comment about using the J7 mostly for alarm! I suspect any battery would work for such usage. What's your experience about serious usage with such replacement batteries? Thanks.
meerkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2024, 22:32   #12184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I am curious, why can't you run banking apps on your iPhone? Are OTPs not received on e-sims? You can just get an esim for your VI connection and put it on your iPhone, right?
Since I am currently in the USA, converting to eSIM is not possible. Moreover, I have set the iPhone App Store to US region (for US only apps and services) and the Moto (play store uses Indian region) takes care of the Indian apps. For ex, I tried using Google Pay in the iPhone, but it does not work with my Indian bank Account. Also if I change the iPhone's App Store region to India then things like Apple Pay will stop working.

The two-phone method is the only way for me here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
In each country he spends hardly few days or max a week. Right now, he has to buy local SIM card for local internet and calling.
What options does he have that can help him to avoid these local sim purchases every time?
Airtel international roaming rates are pretty cheap. For a 3K recharge, he can get year round roaming with a 100 minutes calling and 2GB data. If usage is high, they have a 10 day pack for 900 rupees (100mins and 1gb data) which he can activate just before travelling. Jio too provides cheap, per usage rates.

Last edited by dragonfire : 18th February 2024 at 22:38.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2024, 23:16   #12185
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
When you said "Battery availability is not a problem", did you mean you were able to source reliable batteries online (for your J7, for example)? Any particular seller you can recommend?
I ordered it from Amazon a few years ago but don't recall the seller name. It is a user replaceable battery, unlike the ones we see in modern smartphones. But yes, I can't say for sure if this is original or fake, but it does say SAMSUNG battery

However last year, I replaced the battery of iphone 8 plus via cashify.com
https://www.cashify.in/battery-repair

This phone is used regularly and I think the battery life is good as new. Cashify is a VC funded company, so it is unlikely they use fake batteries

Cashify crosses Rs 800 Cr revenue in FY23
https://entrackr.com/2023/11/cashify...sses-spike-50/

Last edited by SmartCat : 18th February 2024 at 23:23.
Old 19th February 2024, 19:59   #12186
BHPian

Hi all, need a little help deciding between an iPhone 13 and an iPhone 14. The specs seem pretty similar, is there anything that I am missing out on?
yuvmudapa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 20:19   #12187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuvmudapa View Post
Hi all, need a little help deciding between an iPhone 13 and an iPhone 14. The specs seem pretty similar, is there anything that I am missing out on?
I am not a tech geek. But I think 14 will be better in the long run as it is a newer product. Am not sure about the case of iPhones though. In case of Android, sticking with a newer option is better. Two of my friends bought phones at the same time. One bought the Samsung M30S and the other bought a Samsung M21. The M21 was a newer product and received software updates till Android 12, whereas the last update received by the M30S was Android 11.
Old 19th February 2024, 21:35   #12188
BHPian

Quote:
The specs look same on the paper and tbh, there isn't much real life difference unless you keep both phones side by side.
I do feel that the camera on iPhone 14 is improved. We were taking photos from iPhone 14 and a 13 pro and the vanilla 14 took better pics than even the 13 pro (except in low light or when zooming as the 14 has no telephoto).

You also get an additional year of updates. If the difference is like 10k, get the 13 but if it is like 5-6k, I think better to with the newer model.
Old 19th February 2024, 23:18   #12189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
I ordered it from Amazon a few years ago but don't recall the seller name. It is a user replaceable battery, unlike the ones we see in modern smartphones. But yes, I can't say for sure if this is original or fake, but it does say SAMSUNG battery

However last year, I replaced the battery of iphone 8 plus via cashify.com
https://www.cashify.in/battery-repair

This phone is used regularly and I think the battery life is good as new. Cashify is a VC funded company, so it is unlikely they use fake batteries
Thank you for the Cashify link, -- didn't know about this resource. Unfortunately they list replacement batteries for only a handful of models, and mine is not one of them.

How was your experience with the Amazon-sourced battery? How did its performance compare with that of the original battery?
Old 20th February 2024, 08:02   #12190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
The specs look same on the paper and tbh, there isn't much real life difference unless you keep both phones side by side.
I do feel that the camera on iPhone 14 is improved. We were taking photos from iPhone 14 and a 13 pro and the vanilla 14 took better pics than even the 13 pro (except in low light or when zooming as the 14 has no telephoto).

You also get an additional year of updates. If the difference is like 10k, get the 13 but if it is like 5-6k, I think better to with the newer model.
Yes the difference is 5k but the thing is there is no charger in the box plus I always buy a good case which adds up so I can get the 13 with charger and a case for the price of the 14 without a charger or a case, hence the confusion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKat View Post
I am not a tech geek. But I think 14 will be better in the long run as it is a newer product. Am not sure about the case of iPhones though. In case of Android, sticking with a newer option is better. Two of my friends bought phones at the same time. One bought the Samsung M30S and the other bought a Samsung M21. The M21 was a newer product and received software updates till Android 12, whereas the last update received by the M30S was Android 11.
Yes, but in the case of iPhones I think they get 5 years of OS updates so software shouldn't be an issue, plus the 14 and 13 have the same chipset as well.
Thank you,
Yuv.
Old 20th February 2024, 08:36   #12191
BHPian

Quote:
but in the case of iPhones I think they get 5 years of OS updates so software shouldn't be an issue, plus the 14 and 13 have the same chipset as well.
Go for 14 if the difference is only 5K. Although both uses same chipset, 14 has 5 core GPU and have better camera and video recording supports Action mode and also has 4K recording in Cinematic mode.

Also what do you mean by no charger in 14, that should be part of the package.

BTW, there is a dedicated thread for iPhone

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...read-1084.html (The iPhone Thread)
Old 20th February 2024, 11:45   #12192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes the difference is 5k but the thing is there is no charger in the box plus I always buy a good case which adds up so I can get the 13 with charger and a case for the price of the 14 without a charger or a case, hence the confusion.

Yuv.
I will suggest get the iphone 14.
5k difference will be recovered at the time of resale.

If you can wait till Amazon prime day sale which happens mostly in June then you can get iphone 15 at a good price too. 15 is much better upgrade over 13 and 14. But, if buying is required right now then go with 14.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 12:21   #12193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx100 View Post
Go for 14 if the difference is only 5K. Although both uses same chipset, 14 has 5 core GPU and have better camera and video recording supports Action mode and also has 4K recording in Cinematic mode.
Not to forget , the 14 has 2 gigs of additional RAM which definitely helps in better app management.

If 5k is the price difference , than 14 is a no-brainer IMHO.
Old 20th February 2024, 16:53   #12194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I will suggest get the iphone 14.
5k difference will be recovered at the time of resale.

If you can wait till Amazon prime day sale which happens mostly in June then you can get iphone 15 at a good price too. 15 is much better upgrade over 13 and 14. But, if buying is required right now then go with 14.
I am not planning to buy one right now so I will hold on a bit longer and try and get the 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Not to forget , the 14 has 2 gigs of additional RAM which definitely helps in better app management.

If 5k is the price difference , than 14 is a no-brainer IMHO.
Oh thank you, I did not know that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx100 View Post

Also what do you mean by no charger in 14, that should be part of the package.

BTW, there is a dedicated thread for iPhone

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...read-1084.html (The iPhone Thread)
The iPhone only comes with a cable in the box and not an adapter. I am an android user right now and hence do not have a pre-existing apple adapter.
I shall check out the iPhone thread, thank you.
Old 20th February 2024, 17:27   #12195
BHPian

Quote:
The iPhone only comes with a cable in the box and not an adapter. I am an android user right now and hence do not have a pre-existing apple adapter.
I shall check out the iPhone thread, thank you.
Even iPhone 13 also comes with lightning cable only and adapter not available. You have to shell out additional 1600 for original adapter.

If you plan to wait for iPhone 15 discounts sale, then it comes with USB C cable and you can use your existing adapter.
rx100 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks