Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2024, 15:02   #12151
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Last week I managed to move my Airtel India number to eSIM. I thought of this option a couple of years back but gave up the idea considering the complex steps involved (especially because I am based outside India).

But recently saw an update on Reddit that it’s an easy process now using the Airtel Thanks app, and it was indeed a seamless move. Just followed the steps as listed in the screenshot below. So finally for the first time in my iPhone, I have two active numbers

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-img_3888.jpg

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-img_3680-1.png

Last edited by vb-saan : 9th February 2024 at 15:09.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2024, 00:15   #12152
BHPian

Hello everyone.
I'm currently using a 2019 Samsung Galaxy M30S (4GB,64GB variant). Had an excellent ownership experience. Now I'm thinking about upgrading to a better phone which has a massive battery like my current phone, an AMOLED display, a good processor, expandable storage, two physical sim slots and costs less than 25,000 rupees. Please suggest the phones which would suit my requirements.

Last edited by TurboKat : 10th February 2024 at 00:18.
Old 10th February 2024, 00:30   #12153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKat View Post
Hello everyone.
I'm currently using a 2019 Samsung Galaxy M30S (4GB,64GB variant). Had an excellent ownership experience. Now I'm thinking about upgrading to a better phone which has a massive battery like my current phone, an AMOLED display, a good processor, expandable storage, two physical sim slots and costs less than 25,000 rupees. Please suggest the phones which would suit my requirements.
Something that fits your requirements to the T is Samsung M54/F54 5G priced exactly at Rs. 25k
https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-Galaxy...dp/B0CB97SJ6Y/
You can read its review here: https://www.91mobiles.com/hub/samsun...f54-5g-review/

If you want to save some money, you can also pick up Samsung M34 5G at Rs. 16,000. It was originally priced at Rs. 19k just a few months back (my dad has one). https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-Waterf...dp/B0C7C28GKF/
You can read its review here: https://www.91mobiles.com/hub/samsun...m34-5g-review/

Both M34 and M54 have 6000 mAH battery and 120 Hz refresh rate AMOLED display

Last edited by SmartCat : 10th February 2024 at 00:33.
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2024, 00:43   #12154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Something that fits your requirements to the T is Samsung M54/F54 5G priced exactly at Rs. 25k
https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-Galaxy...dp/B0CB97SJ6Y/
You can read its review here: https://www.91mobiles.com/hub/samsun...f54-5g-review/

If you want to save some money, you can also pick up Samsung M34 5G at Rs. 16,000. It was originally priced at Rs. 19k just a few months back (my dad has one). https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-Waterf...dp/B0C7C28GKF/
You can read its review here: https://www.91mobiles.com/hub/samsun...m34-5g-review/

Both M34 and M54 have 6000 mAH battery and 120 Hz refresh rate AMOLED display
Thanks for the suggestions. I forgot to mention that I was looking for a phone with a Snapdragon or a Mediatek processor. Could you please suggest me a phone which satisfies all the above requirements + a SD or mediatek chipset?
Old 10th February 2024, 07:52   #12155
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
I had a physical Jio SIM when I got my Pixel 7. 5G connectivity was patchy and it would always drop down to 4G.

Then I was told to switch to eSIM and immediately the 5G coverage improved. It still wasn't back to Realme levels of coverage but it was much better.

Since then, there has been a few software updates and 5G coverage has no issues now. It could be a Google Pixel issue or a Jio issue but this is what I experienced.
Over the last week I have noticed that I am unable to make UPI payments (scan QR and pay) and NFC payments at shops when I am on 5G. Only when I switch to 4G the payment goes through.

I am on the Jio network and use a Samsung S20 FE 5G.

Unfortunately my phone does not support esim. Correct me if I am wrong, but only Pixels and iPhones (and Moto Edge 40) has this esim functionality, right? So if I need to buy a new phone with esim support (about 25k budget), my options are very limited.

Quote:
Hello everyone.
The expandable memory and headphone jack features are gone for ever. You will find them only on budget phones.

I would suggest you to look for phones that have 256GB of internal storage instead.

My pick would be the Oneplus Nord CE 3 (12GB RAM + 256 GB storage variant). I see it listed in Amazon for 25k after card and coupon discounts.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B0C9QP...031&th=1&psc=1

Last edited by Oxy : 10th February 2024 at 08:13.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2024, 09:37   #12156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ter phone which has a massive battery like my current phone, an AMOLED display, a good processor, expandable storage, two physical sim slots and costs less than 25,000 rupees.
Consider : https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g84-12526.php

This has P-PLED display, so not the AMOLED you aer looking for, specs are pretty good for display (brightness, HDR, colour gamut coverage).

Apart from that :
  • 5000 MAH battery
  • Dual SIM or SIM + SD Card (256 GB storage built in)
  • Headphone jack with good amp

Costs ~18k , you can get discount of about 1k with card offers.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2024, 10:56   #12157
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Consider : https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g84-12526.php

This has P-PLED display, so not the AMOLED you aer looking for, specs are pretty good for display (brightness, HDR, colour gamut coverage).

Apart from that :
  • 5000 MAH battery
  • Dual SIM or SIM + SD Card (256 GB storage built in)
  • Headphone jack with good amp

Costs ~18k , you can get discount of about 1k with card offers.
The processor that this phone comes with is the same that is inside the Moto G34 as well, and the G34 costs Rs.10k.

Strong processor was one of his requirements. Also, this processor does not support 4K videos, which means you can neither watch 4K content on the screen, nor can you do 4K video recording.

Other than that, it's looks great for the price.
Old 10th February 2024, 11:45   #12158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
The processor that this phone comes with is the same that is inside the Moto G34 as well, and the G34 costs Rs.10k.
G34 does not have full HD screen, only HD (1280P)

Quote:
Strong processor was one of his requirements. Also, this processor does not support 4K videos, which means you can neither watch 4K content on the screen, nor can you do 4K video recording.
Recently got Moto Edge Neo 40 for wife after considering G54 and G84. It can play and record 4K. One thing I want to say after initial hands on is that this is most gorgeous phone with stunning display in the mid range category with stock Android, nifty Moto features are added advantage. I miss them in my Pixel.

Neo also has IP68 rating which is non existent in the G54 and G84. Though headphone jack is missing, seems like water proofing requires elimination of it.

Display is super bright. My Pixel 6 feels ancient heavy brick in front of it which also has POLED but looks very dim.

I have never been a fan of Mediatek processors due to their past notorious history and always avoided them in the past. But heard good things about the new gen Dimensity processors so thought to give it a try this time since there is nothing new and exciting from Qualcomm these days in the mid range category with stock Android. we prefer to keep the phones for as long as possible, let's see how the long term experience goes with this Mediatek.

But the phone has curve display, which makes the phone look gorgeous but some people don't prefer it due to reasoning ergonomics and fragility. Though I did not feel it as hindrance during my short usage despite my concerns about it.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 10th February 2024 at 11:58.
tbppjpr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2024, 13:24   #12159
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Recently got Moto Edge Neo 40 for wife after considering G54 and G84.
My wife uses the Moto Edge 40 so I can vouch for everything you said. I personally prefer flat screens because it is an uphill task to get screen protectors and back covers for curved screen phones.
Old 10th February 2024, 21:03   #12160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Post mentioned "a good processor" IMO this processor is pretty good for phone and easy on battery as well.

If 4k video is a requirement then SmartCat's suggestion seems to be the option in this range. But that does not have headphone jack.

OTHOH : This is a great alternative to headphone jack. https://www.amazon.in/Apple-USB-C-He...dp/B07K2NH6ZN/

Just buy couple of these and leave it connected to headphones.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 23:41   #12161
Distinguished - BHPian

Am thinking of buying Moto G84. 256gb internal and memory card; 3.5mm jack; not too huge, not too expensive.

I'm getting the impression that Motorola is not widely available from physical stores apart from their own. Aby recommendations where to go to see/buy physically, in Chennai?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 15:54   #12162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Any recommendations where to go to see/buy physically, in Chennai?
I had tried everywhere to find a display modelnof Edge 40. Had checked with every electronics shop chain, none had it. It seems like Moto has decided to have predominantly an online presence. The G84 is a very value-for-money phone though.
Small Bot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 20:11   #12163
Senior - BHPian

What Android phone under 25k will give me the following?

1. Good quality front and back camera
2. Full day battery
3. Decent display and speed
4. Use of two WhatsApp accounts (compulsory)

Not particular about bloat free UI or assured OS updates. I am brand agnostic in this purchase.

Kindly chip in with suggestions.
Old 15th February 2024, 20:16   #12164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
What Android phone under 25k will give me the following?

1. Good quality front and back camera
2. Full day battery
3. Decent display and speed

Not particular about bloat free UI or assured OS updates. I am brand agnostic in this purchase.

Kindly chip in with suggestions.
My pick would be the OnePlus Nord CE 3 Lite 5G (heck of a long name)

Fits all your requirements perfectly! Comes with 8GB of RAM and 128GB of storage (256GB variant available) which is a bargain for the price! Do give it a check!
nova.19_exe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 20:42   #12165
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Whatsapp on Android now supports 2 accounts. So any android phone will do.

- Update whatsapp so that you have the latest version.
- Open whatsapp app, click on 3 vertical dots on top right hand side, Settings, Account and select Add Account

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-screenshot_20240215_203653_whatsapp.jpg

However, you won't have 2 separate apps for Account 1 & 2. You have to switch within Whatsapp app.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed