Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2023, 14:27   #12106
BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Samsung will not service UAE-bought phones in India under warranty. Just remember that. OTOH, the price difference *should* cover major repairs if necessary locally.
bhairavp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 15:21   #12107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhairavp View Post
Samsung will not service UAE-bought phones in India under warranty. Just remember that. OTOH, the price difference *should* cover major repairs if necessary locally.
Only Apple has international warranty. No other phones have, since they are slightly different on featureset
Old 4th December 2023, 18:04   #12108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhairavp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by subie_socal View Post
Only Apple has international warranty. No other phones have, since they are slightly different on featureset
That's quite a bummer. Even though I manage to save on the initial price; God forbid even the screen blows up, It's going to cost nearly 50% of the phone price to replace in India. Even worse could be that Samsung India refuses to even fix the phone altogether.

I think it's better to stay clear from international phones from any brand apart from Apple.
ashvek3141 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 12:13   #12109
BHPian

I am looking to buy a phone with good audio output (speakers and headphones). Camera is secondary as my wife doesnt click a lot of photos.
I see Motorola Edge 40 and Edge 40 neo as options, but not sure if they will stick with their updates. Another option I see is Nothing phone 2, but it comes with SD gen8 1, which may have heating issues.

My budget is around 35k, but can stretch it to 40k. Any suggestions?
Old 10th December 2023, 11:40   #12110
e46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbaiker View Post
I am looking to buy a phone with good audio output (speakers and headphones). Camera is secondary as my wife doesnt click a lot of photos.
I see Motorola Edge 40 and Edge 40 neo as options, but not sure if they will stick with their updates. Another option I see is Nothing phone 2, but it comes with SD gen8 1, which may have heating issues.

Not to be taken otherwise, but why do you have to spend 35-40K for a phone? Get the Moto E40 Neo for 23K, should suffice for most of the daily activities. They must give another major OS upgrade and security patches for 2 years at least. That should cover, IMO.

Needs and wants ofcourse vary from person to person, but a little thinking mostly helps us buy sensibly, be it any product.

I still use a Poco M4 Pro and it does 80% of what the 30-80K big boys do. Am not a gamer or camera fanatic though.
e46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 09:36   #12111
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:

The options listed by you are the best with regards to audio in the sub-40k price range, another option is the Poco F5, but they are also not the best when it comes to updates.

Among these options, I would recommend the Nothing Phone 2 because it has the SD 8+ Gen 1 (which has substantially lower heating issues ) over the 8 Gen 1, and is a better all-rounder.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 11:28   #12112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
They must give another major OS upgrade and security patches for 2 years at least.
My Moto Edge 20 completed two years and consequently concluded its two years of updates. Funny thing is the final update (13) arrived two months ago exactly 1 year after it was released by Google. It was an agonizing 1 year wait with no ETAs available. At a point I wondered whether it would arrive before the 2-year support period runs out.

Thankfully the update is stable and the phone continues to be fast, fluid and lag free thanks to the near-stock Android.

My point is, everything aside, if you are expecting timely updates from Motorola you will be in for a disappointment.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 15:23   #12113
BHPian

Quote:

I have been using Oneplus since 2019, have always been happy with the update structure, always on time.

We have had Vivo (low end), Poco (Mid End), Redmi (Mid End), Motorola (Mid) in the house, not to brag or anything but the updates have always been a disappointment.

Have you considered Oneplus Nord 3 CE Lite?, wife uses it, no complaints.
I've been using a Nord 3 CE lately, cannot comment much as very low usage.
Had used 8T in the past, was super happy till the green line popped up (Never dropped, software did its magic), but let me tell you, Oneplus is the only manufacturer which did a buyback of the phone which was way out of warranty, offered a handsome 27k voucher which I utilized towards Nord 3 CE, ended up paying a mere 2K for it. They also offer a lifetime warranty for the green line issue on all their phones.

Other manufacturers won't bother touching your out of warranty phone with a green line. And yes the issue hasn't spared Iphone/Samsung/Motorola & others, I will be disappointed if a 40K phone gets a green line post warranty & company asks me to shell 4-5 figures for repairs.
montsa007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 16:39   #12114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsa007 View Post

Have you considered Oneplus Nord 3 CE Lite?
Thanks for the inputs. I did consider, but we havent had great experience with the Oneplus that my dad used. Some issues with screen, software. So I did not shortlist it.
Old 11th December 2023, 17:49   #12115
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the inputs. I did consider, but we havent had great experience with the Oneplus that my dad used. Some issues with screen, software. So I did not shortlist it.
Could be you received a lemon, which phone was dad using?
The 9 series was a super flop, with 888 processor which used to heat up, also Oneplus mediatek based phones arent cool.
montsa007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2024, 21:55   #12116
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

I have a OnePlus Nord CE 5G (link) which is currently running Oxygen OS 13.0 / Android 13.

Please let me know if this phone will be getting the Andriod 14 update.

The last update was November 2023 Andriod security patch update.
Old 7th January 2024, 07:52   #12117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Please let me know if this phone will be getting the Andriod 14 update.

The last update was November 2023 Andriod security patch update.
If you're talking about the Nord CE launched in 2021, that's all the Android OS updates you're going to get. No chance of Android 14.

You might still get security updates till the middle of next year though.
Small Bot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 11:59   #12118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
I think since the next-gen S series devices are just around the corner, I shall probably wait and maybe pick up the S23 then. Pretty sure the prices of S23 will drop and maybe with the Republic Day sale, etc. I might chance upon some good deal.

Though my wife isn’t very keen of cellphones, but if I happen to get a flagship specced phone for some good deal, than why not! Maybe we can retain it for longer with the software support, I hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman
S23 5G 256GB available for around 65K in Amazon.
https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-Galaxy...s%2C208&sr=8-9
Not sure why they have a listing at 79K also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot
It is actually the reverse. The S23 256GB version is actually priced at 79K pretty much everywhere (before discounts kick in).

I'm quite leery about any seller who sells it at lesser than 70K...
The S23 is available at it's lowest on FK & Amazon. The 256 GB is retailing at ~ 60k after flat + CC discounts.

Does it make sense to get this phone now, or it is better to wait for the launch of S24 and / or the Republic Day sale(s) for the prices to drop further?

I don't think the newer generation 'S' devices will be radically different as their focus primarily seems to be AI. Not quite keen on this AI thingy. If a year-old flagship benefits by 20-25k discounts, than probably it makes sense to go for the S23, I think.

I am also contemplating on picking the S23 Ultra; the same is retailing between 97k - 99K after all the discounts. The whole preposition of this phone is too hard to resist! Only bummer is it's size.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 8th January 2024 at 12:05.
Old 8th January 2024, 12:06   #12119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
The S23 is available at it's lowest on FK & Amazon. The 256 GB is retailing at ~ 60k after flat + CC discounts.

Does it make sense to get this phone now, or it is better to wait for the launch of S24 and / or the Republic Day sale(s) for the prices to drop further?

I am also contemplating on picking the S23 Ultra; the same is retailing at 99K after all the discounts. the whole preposition of this phone is too hard to resist! Only bummer is it's size.
I am also in two minds over this. My S20 is doing ok. Whether S23 is an upgrade after spending 60K, not sure. Literally there are no additional benefits other than better battery life and 5G. Also after 10 years in Samsung ecosystem, getting bored. I am super impressed with Iphone 15 looks, but wary of getting in to Apple's walled garden. So planning to continue with S20 till it give some major issues.

Last edited by poloman : 8th January 2024 at 12:11.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 12:16   #12120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I am also in two minds over this. My S20 is doing ok. Whether S23 is an upgrade after spending 60K, not sure. Literally there are no additional benefits other than better battery life. Also after 10 years in Samsung ecosystem, getting bored. I am super impressed with Iphone 15 looks, but wary of getting in to Apple's walled garden. So planning to continue with S20 till it give some major issues.
Tell me about it! Actually, this phone is for my wife and after checking out the 15 Pro devices even she's in two minds whether to continue with Samsung or jump the Apple bandwagon.

Either way it will be a significant upgrade for her as the current device is a humble Galaxy A31.

Getting the 15 Pro's will only happen in April, as one of our friends will be coming down from Dubai. So makes sense getting it from UAE market instead of paying a huge some here.

If it's a Samsung, than it can happen in this month itself.

Not quite keen on the Pixel devices as the basic Pixel 8 costs whopping 80K + and is pretty low on specs. vis-a-vis say the S23.

Most Viewed